Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Achive > Favourite fantasy film and TV series?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Zulu (new)

Zulu | 9 comments What is everyone's?

Film - LOTR Return of the King

TV - Game of Thrones

message 2: by Rizwan (new)

Rizwan Isn't that (almost) everyone's? LOL

Anyway, mine's:
Film: LOTR Trilogy extended edition

TV: Avatar the Last Airbender (hands down.)

message 3: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments As for film, 'Lord Of The Rings' is recent enough and epic enough to blow away any and all potential competition. So perhaps the voting should be limited to fantasy films NOT based on books written by a distinguished English professor that were shot in New Zealand.
In that case, my favorite NOTLOTR fantasy film would be 'Dragonslayer'. It has dragons, sorcery, politics, treachery, plenty of plot twists and even shatters a couple of old fantasy movie tropes along the way.
As for television, since I don't get premium cable, I'm afraid that I haven't seen enough of 'Game Of Thrones' to form an opinion. I haven't seen anything of 'Avatar'. But decades ago there was a short-lived TV series titled 'Wizards And Warriors' that took a very tongue-in-cheek approach to the genre. I liked it very much.

message 4: by Zulu (new)

Zulu | 9 comments LOTR is superior to most, I much prefer say The Fellowship of the Ring to the first installment of The Hobbit. What is the Last Air bender like? I've seen bits, but is it too childish or does it hold up with an adult audience too?

message 5: by Jalilah (last edited Jun 04, 2013 12:14PM) (new)

Jalilah Favourite films: Spirited Away and Pan's Labyrinth

Series? I have hardly seen any. It is hard to find one I can watch with my whole family. My husband saw the first episode of True Blood with me and hated it. Besides it would not be appropriate for my 15 year old. Same goes for Game of Thrones.

What about Fringe? Anyone like it? I was considering checking it out.

message 6: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 50 comments Not sure about films but for TV i really liked Claymore. An anime about all female part demon knights hunting demons in what japan thinks of as midle ages Europe.

message 7: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments Perhaps I should say at this point that I don't regard any series containing large quantities vampires, werewolves or zombies, or ancient feuds between vampires and werewolves, and so on, to be 'fantasy'.
Otherwise, I'd have to say that my favorite TV fantasy series was 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer'.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 284 comments Lord of the Rings really does blow any competition out of the water in terms of fantasy films, (the entire trilogy, can't really pick a favorite) including the recent The Hobbit. I do recommend Pan's Labyrinth too. It is a very different style of film though.

As for TV: I have to go with Game of Thrones too.
Avatar: The Last Airbender is very solid second however. I loved that.
@Zulu: Avatar does hold up for adults (for this adult anyway) purely on it's writing and characterization. It has a playful quality to it at times, but it's definitely not childish. Don't watch the live action film though. That thing pales in comparison.

message 9: by Rizwan (last edited Jun 04, 2013 12:27PM) (new)

Rizwan KevinB wrote: "@Zulu: Avatar does hold up for adults (for this adult anyway) purely on it's writing and characterization. It has a playful quality to it at times, but it's definitely not childish. Don't watch the live action film though. That thing pales in comparison."

I completely agree. One can mistake with Avatar seen as just "for kids", but its definitely has many MANY dark elements and very strong & complicated plotlines to perfectly appeal to the adults too. And the characterizations with the growing maturity of the characters building up from episodes to episodes is absolutely flawless! I guess one can compare Avatar with the masterpieces of Pixar, as both started off looked like a bit childish but build on to be something as much developed and matured-themed as any of the serious adult fantasy, but still it was perfectly balanced with its funloving & playful ways to appeal to audiences of all ages. Well, I am 29 year old adult (or arguably a grown-up kid), and I can safely say this is hands down my most favorite Animated/Fantasy/Adventure series of All Time, period!

message 10: by Zulu (new)

Zulu | 9 comments That's good too hear, with the last episode of the current Game of Thrones series out next Sunday, the Avatar series will be something to watch while I wait for a whole year!

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly | 358 comments Love The Lord of The Rings.

message 12: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 72 comments I've got a soft spot for Hawk the slayer that starred Jack Palance. Anybody remember it?

message 13: by Marina (new)

Marina Fontaine (marina_fontaine) | 175 comments Not counting LotR, because it's just not fair... I generally prefer to read my fantasy rather than watch it, just because it's so hard to make a truly great fantasy movie. Filmakers tend to concentrate on visuals and forget to have a good story.

That being said, I loved Equilibrium (although it's more dystopia than "fantasy" but I don't like splitting hairs) and Constantine.

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Discounting LOTR, Spirited Away and I have a soft spot for Ladyhawke. I enjoyed Mirror, Mirror.

TV - I like this zombie series that BBC America just started - In the Flesh. I liked the first two seasons of the British Being Human.

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Chris, I adore Ladyhawke. Own it and have watched it way too many times. :)

message 16: by L.Y. (new)

L.Y. Levand (lylevand) | 131 comments Not including Lotr, my favorite fantasy movie(s) are the chronicles of Narnia. But only the first two. I didn't really like Voyage of the Dawn Treader too much.

I vote Avatar! That was the one show that I had to watch every week. No other show has ever been loved so much in my house. I panicked if I missed an episode. At one point, I had almost the entire first episode memorized.

message 17: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 72 comments Still no word on Hawk the Slayer :)

message 18: by Gianfranco (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 77 comments Film: LOTR Trilogy extended edition / Conan the Barbarian (1982) / Ladyhawk / Highlander / Legend /Labirinth / Willow

TV: Game of Thrones

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Young-Turner | 25 comments S.J., I loved Wizards and Warriors! I remember being a kid and waiting anxiously for it to come on each week. Now I'm not sure it would hold up to adult scrutiny. Also love Game of Thrones (I don't have HBO so I'm watching on Netflix), LOTR of course, Ladyhawke, and Pan's Labyrinth.

message 20: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments Back when the show came out, I was part of a group that met regularly to play D&D. 'Wizards And Warriors' was what I called a 'gamer's show', since any fantasy role-playing gamer would enjoy the characters, and the comments that they made. Those comments would have been out of place in any 'serious' fantasy tale, but would resonate with gamers who got together to just have fun. I recall one episode in which everyone was trying to find a particular relic with a suitably impressive fantasy tale name by which it was always referred to. The airheaded and adorable Princess Ariel somehow learned the location of this relic and burst into court yelling: 'I know where the whatchamacallit is!'
Alas, there were only eight episodes of this show. Since I was an adult when I watched it, I'd say it would hold up to the adult scrutiny of any role-playing gamer who actually sat or sits around a table with other gamers rather than at a computer.

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 27 comments I agree that LOTR blows all other competition away, but if I look at other options, I'd probably choose Willow. Sometimes it's more the heart than the special effects.

For TV shows I'm currently enjoying "Grimm." I don't have HBO or money to rent old seasons of GoT.

message 22: by Cindy (last edited Jun 13, 2013 06:38AM) (new)

Cindy Young-Turner | 25 comments S.J. wrote: "Back when the show came out, I was part of a group that met regularly to play D&D. 'Wizards And Warriors' was what I called a 'gamer's show', since any fantasy role-playing gamer would enjoy the ch..."

Well, I didn't game when the show was on but I have since then. It would be interesting to see it again. I'm glad fantasy TV has improved since then, although I've caught some really awful ones on Scify, in between the giant crocs with lasers movies. LOTR has set the bar awfully high now.

message 23: by Gianfranco (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 77 comments Wizards and Warriors! Great show, loved it!

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Oh god, I vaguely remember that show. I was so young. That and those Saturday morning cartoons.

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (originally_elle) | 110 comments Do the Marvel films (Xmen/Avengers/Iron Man) count towards Favorite Fantasy Film?
If not then I definitely agree with everyone else & also choose LOTR.

My favorite TV series is without a doubt Game of Thrones! I love Dany & Tyrion is freaking HILARIOUS!

message 26: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 288 comments Cindy wrote: "S.J., I loved Wizards and Warriors! I remember being a kid and waiting anxiously for it to come on each week. Now I'm not sure it would hold up to adult scrutiny. Also love Game of Thrones (I don't..."

Pan's Labyrinth scared me.

message 27: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments 'Pan's Labyrinth' was well done, but I didn't care for the ending.
'Labyrinth' was also well done. I watched it one evening with my sons and I was puzzled when they suddenly burts out laughing at one of the muppety characters. When I asked what was so funny, they pointed to the character in question and exclaimed: 'That's Uncle Joe!' (a family friend). Damned if they weren't right.

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) David Bowie - I would've given him my brother.

message 29: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments Jennifer Connely made a bit more of an impression on me.

message 30: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Young-Turner | 25 comments I loved Pan's Labyrinth. I didn't know what to expect going in and was wowed by the visuals and the story. It creeped me out and the ending made me cry.

message 31: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments 'Erik The Viking' was a pretty good fantasy movie in a Monty Python-Blackadder kind of way.

message 32: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 72 comments Still waiting for Hawk the Slayer :)

Probably the greatest unintentionally funny film of all time. The Spinal tap of fantasy.

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy Keeley (safire_blue) | 2 comments There's been so many good fantasy films that it's hard to choose. Besides LOTR (which was as close to perfect as an adaptation can get imo), I think my favorite fantasy film is a tie between Ladyhawke and Dragonslayer. Dragonslayer because of the unique perspective, and Ladyhawke because of the well-crafted story and the ingenious way they approached the special effects within the story.

But, as I said, there's a lot of good fantasy films out there.

As for series, I know it's anime, but I really enjoyed The Twelve Kingdoms. In fact, the only fantasies I can think of in series form that I've enjoyed are all anime. Nothing live-action.

message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) Does anyone else remember Time Bandits?

message 35: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 72 comments Chris wrote: "Does anyone else remember Time Bandits?"

Yes! Epic film. Thumbs up from me.

message 36: by Maxine (new)

Maxine | 25 comments As to films which aren't LOTR, I have to admit to loving Princess Bride, both the book and the movie. It's just a whole lot of fun.

Besides Game of Throne, my favourite TV series has to be the British series Misfits.

message 37: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 50 comments Bit unoriginal, but I'd have to go with the Game of Thrones/Lord of the Rings consensus.

However, I'd like to give an honourable mention to the BBC TV series of the Chronicles of Narnia. It's probably my earliest memory of fantasy, and a certain moment (whilst sailing at night with Prince Caspian and they see an island) still delights me.

message 38: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments This is stretching the bounds of 'fantasy' just a bit, but I'd like to recommend 'Siesta' as worth watching.

message 39: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 72 comments S.J. wrote: "This is stretching the bounds of 'fantasy' just a bit, but I'd like to recommend 'Siesta' as worth watching."

It is stretching the bounds to breaking point :) but it is a good recommendation!

message 40: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments 'Siesta' may not have some of the expected fantasy elements, such as magic, elves and dragons, but it does have imaginative and fantastic components, so it could be labeled as contemporary urban fantasy.

message 41: by Thomas (last edited Jul 19, 2013 01:04PM) (new)

Thomas Cardin | 26 comments Close between the Adventures of Baron Munchausen and Time Bandits for live action movie.

I will second Dragonslayer too, damn fine.

For Animated movie I am torn between Sleeping Beauty and How to Train Your Dragon, but everything by Miyzaki is up there too.

Live Action fantasy series is tough, first instinct is to jump on the GOT bandwagon - but I must admit that when I watch GOT I am imagining how stupendous other books could be if taken to film with the same production value, and look! Another Peter Dinklage scene! He completely steals the show for me.

But seriously, for live action series I am going with the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones, short lived but oh so good.

Animated Series has to go to Bleach, but only the main story episodes, lose the filler.

message 42: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments Well, if we can suggest anime series, I'd like to nominate 'Slayers'.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I would probably say Excalibur "..a land without a king,a king without his sword."

Damn,I'm old.

message 44: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 130 comments I'm actually enjoying Once Upon a Time quite a bit, though I'm still catching up on last season.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Robert wrote: "I'm actually enjoying Once Upon a Time quite a bit, though I'm still catching up on last season."

Once Upon a Time-good series.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

The BBC Being Human another good series.

message 47: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 183 comments Charlton wrote: "The BBC Being Human another good series."

Yes, the British version of Being Human is fantastic; I was so sad that they ended it.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Lucinda wrote:
Yes, the British version of Being Human is fantastic; I was so sad that they ended it."

Me too,but I have the DVD's.

message 49: by Mina (new)

Mina Khan (spicebites) | 141 comments For film, I LOVED Avatar (the one with the blue beings)

And for TV, it has to Game of Thrones & Grimm. Right now watching Sleepy Hollow as well...not completely into it, but finding the complex plot rather intriguing.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

It was a good movie and I really liked the two main characters.

« previous 1