Lexington Reads discussion

Kentucky Bourbon Country: The Essential Travel Guide
This topic is about Kentucky Bourbon Country
group reads > "Kentucky Bourbon Country" by Susan Reigler

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bobby (last edited Jun 05, 2013 05:51AM) (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
We had 3 breakaway winners for our summer book poll...so let's read all three of them! We will dedicate a month to each title, which will almost take us into fall. Have a wonderful summer everybody!

message 2: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Did the library order copies?

message 3: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
It isn't showing up in our catalog yet, but the street date isn't until 9/4/13. I'll keep an eye on it and try to post here when it's available to place reserves in our catalog.

message 4: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Bobby wrote: "It isn't showing up in our catalog yet, but the street date isn't until 9/4/13. I'll keep an eye on it and try to post here when it's available to place reserves in our catalog."

Thank you. :D

message 5: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
Kentucky Bourbon Country is now showing up in the Library's catalog and taking reserves. Since the street date is 9/4/13, I've pushed back the start date for the group read.

Here's the link if you would like to place a hold:
http://ls2pac.lexpublib.org/?config=d...

message 6: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit I'm # one. Yeah! Count down. Thanks!

message 7: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit I'm still on hold! Cant' wait to start reading!

message 8: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
It looks like Amazon has updated the listed release date to 9/22/13, so I will push back the start date on our group read again. I promise that we'll start filling holds as soon as possible. Hopefully, it will be worth the wait!

message 9: by Kit (last edited Aug 22, 2013 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Bobby wrote: "It looks like Amazon has updated the listed release date to 9/22/13, so I will push back the start date on our group read again. I promise that we'll start filling holds as soon as possible. Hope..."

Yeah! :D

message 10: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
Amazon's release date has changed again, this time to 10/20/13.

message 11: by Kit (last edited Sep 30, 2013 06:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Ok! I'm still on hold. (And reading whatever I can get my hands on!) Do we have a read for after Kentucky Bourbon Country: The Essential Travel Guide

message 12: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
Not yet...recommendation? :)

message 13: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Maybe something with a KY or Lexington theme!

message 14: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
That sounds good! I'll try to round up some titles and post a poll to see which is the favorite.

message 15: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Ok, thanks. :D

message 16: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
Library copies of Kentucky Bourbon Country have finally arrived! They're being processed and should start filling holds soon.

message 17: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Cant wait!

Julie Brock | 1 comments This book is beautifully done - in terms of the writing, photography and publishing (thank you, University Press of Kentucky). I'm returning my copy today and I hope it will continue to circulate a lot!

message 19: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Julie wrote: "This book is beautifully done - in terms of the writing, photography and publishing (thank you, University Press of Kentucky). I'm returning my copy today and I hope it will continue to circulate ..."

I agree! The pics are awesome. I'm on page 30. Can't wait to finish it. :D It was worth waiting for!! :D:D.

message 20: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Finished-its awesome. I enjoyed learning about the red layer-angel's share and other strange things! It was an interesting history lesson in the founding of Bourbon in KY. :D And the photographs are beautiful. I'm now in the mood to make bourbon balls for Christmas!

message 21: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Do we have a plan for next year for our Lexington reads?

message 22: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
We'll be reading the 2014 One Book One Bluegrass title in the late winter/early spring. Otherwise, next year is a clean slate. I'm open to recommendations if anyone has any!

message 23: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 19, 2013 06:38AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 0 comments P.S., if anyone is interested, WHAS11 has author interview at http://www.whas11.com/great-day-live/...

I just got the book autographed last night at a bourbon symposium in Louisville. My crappy cell phone photo at http://donealrice.booklikes.com/post/...-

message 24: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 72 comments Mod
D.A. wrote: "P.S., if anyone is interested, WHAS11 has author interview at http://www.whas11.com/great-day-live/..."

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Harley (harley12) | 28 comments An enjoyable journey through the history of the bourbon industry in Kentucky.
Having grown up in Jefferson County and attending High School in "Lively Shively" where the smell of bourbon aging was never far away,this book served as a trip down memory lane for me.
I will also be using it for furture reference as I visit some of the Urban Bourbon Trail establishments to participate in some personal quality control activities.

message 26: by Kit (last edited Feb 17, 2014 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Harley wrote: "An enjoyable journey through the history of the bourbon industry in Kentucky.
Having grown up in Jefferson County and attending High School in "Lively Shively" where the smell of bourbon aging was..."

I thought the photos were incredible! I still haven't made my bourbon balls! But, maybe, when we meet for the annual book swap.....!

message 27: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Speaking of bourbon balls: news report last night said that bourbon balls are going to be in the "swag bags" at the Oscars this year. Below is a seg. of part of the article:

Marker’s Mark, Blanton’s, Michter’s and Moonshine, with a cinnamon and cayenne kick, are the four flavors the Ramseys have chosen to include. Katarzyna Kociomyk, owner of FAF Gallery on Third Street, created the artwork for the top of the candy box.

(from a recent on-line Courier Journal article.) Yeah KY.

message 28: by Mari (new)

Mari (mariadkins) | 53 comments Moonshine bourbon balls? I almost fell over laughing.

Harley (harley12) | 28 comments I know for sure who I'm gonna be sitting next to at the book swap... Oh Yah !!

message 30: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit Harley wrote: "I know for sure who I'm gonna be sitting next to at the book swap... Oh Yah !!"

Lol. Who? Did I mention there's a moonshine bourbon marinade? Good for barbeques! Have you tried it?

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 0 comments Kit wrote: "Speaking of bourbon balls: news report last night said that bourbon balls are going to be in the "swag bags" at the Oscars this year. Below is a seg. of part of the article:

Marker’s Mark, Blanton..."

Cool!