Literary Award Winners Fiction Book Club discussion

State of Wonder
This topic is about State of Wonder
Side and Buddy Reads > State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tamara (tamaracat) | 155 comments Mod
Let's discuss this book over here and keep the other thread open for side read suggestions.

Ashley, you said the ending disappointed you? How were you disappointed? I thought the ending was appropriate for the context of the story.

I mostly loved this book, especially the commentary on current issues like women waiting until later in life to have children and what are the repercussions of that. I will say though, that I did not at all like the scene when (view spoiler)

Ashley Actually that scene is probably why I did not really enjoy the ending of the book. It just kind of ruined it for me.

I also loved how the issues of women waiting to have children until later in life were brought up. I found it to be interesting and relevant to our time.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (akk72) I enjoyed this book very much. I thought the themes were woven together well. The characters were shaped by their mentors; creating a new life and what that means; rejecting others' concepts of who you are-- or even overcoming your own preconceived notions about yourself. I just finished this so I am still processing it.

Nancy West (nancygwest) Having reread Ken Follett's EYE OF THE NEEDLE and KEY TO REBECCA, I decided to change pace and picked up Patchett's new book. It's the story of doctors hired by a research company to discover drugs in the Brazilian Amazon jungle. One doctor, crotchety but determined and brilliant, has made an earthshaking discovery and is on her way to discovering a drug that will alter history. But she prefers research to communication, and the company has no idea what's going on. They dispatch doc #2 to find her. Two weeks after the fact, crotchety doc communicates that doc #2 died of a fever. Doctor #3 is a colleague of doc #2, who is a husband and father of three. Doc #3 decides she must go to the Amazon and learn the circumstances of her friend's death. She promises the drug company she'll report the exact status of crotchety's research.
What I found interesting about Patchett's book, in addition to her detailed, pictorial descriptions of the Amazon jungle--flora,fauna, researchers and tribes--rendered in beautiful language, was her use of mystery writing techniques: she starts strong with an attention grabber; she builds tension throughout the book; she even incorporates sci-fi and fantasy into the premise of the book; and she produces twists at the end. Talk about mixing genres. There's no doubt: mystery genre techniques are alive, well and embedded in other literature. Has anyone else read a book considered literary fiction that was a better book because the writer used mystery-writing techniques?
Next, I'm grabbing the first book in Ken Follet's Century Trilogy, FALL OF GIANTS. Can't wait to start.

Nancy G. West
Aggie Mundeen Mysteries
FIT TO BE DEAD - Lefty Award Nominee 2013 for Best Humorous mystery http://tinyurl.com/bgl4zbc
DANG NEAR DEAD - Aggie's second romantic mystery caper http://tinyurl.com/am975kk
NINE DAYS TO EVIL - Prequel to Aggie Mundeen mysteries. The story that started it all. http://tinyurl.com/a9aswr9

Trudie (trudieb) Just reading this book now and so far really enjoying it, especially since I am a Scientist - however there are some slightly bothersome aspects to this novel.

Trudie (trudieb) Now having just finished this I am very disappointed by the ending. Just too many improbable things, shoe horned into a rushed finish. For a so called literary novel my take away experience is of having read a fairly engaging, melodramatic, contrived beach read - no more substantial than fairy floss...