Goodreaders, Great Authors discussion

Awesomeness By Topic > Sexism, SFF, and the SFWA

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 76 comments Mod
It has clearly been a long standing problem. The attitudes and actions of so many in that community (even some women!) is sickening. Especially the sexism that has shown up in the SFWA's official publication – which set off this firestorm. It's great that the women of the genre (and men!) are speaking out. No matter how much abuse they're taking for it – and they're getting a lot. It's awful to be made to feel that way just for wanting to connect with others who read/write what you do or expecting basic professional respect.

E. Catherine Tobler: Dear SFWA
Ann Aguirre: This week in SF (Her awful experiences as a female SF author.)
Foz Meadows: Old Men Yelling At Clouds: SFWA Sexism
HuffPost Books: Foz Meadows – Romance Cooties: Women and Science Fiction

Shiloh Walker: I’m no Barbie

Jim Hines: Roundup of Some “Anonymous Protesters” (#SFWA Bulletin Links) (An insane amount of links to posts on this subject.)

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) WOw.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 38 comments Aguirre's post is shocking. Disgusting behaviour.

Seriously. All I know is that I can't say I wouldn't have gotten that guy his coffee . . . and dumped it on his crotch. Accidentally, of course.

message 7: by willaful (new)

willaful The author of Ghost Planet by Sharon Fisher wrote a very nice post thanking romance readers for reading her SF book. I'd like to read it sometime.

Her post. That was nice. Her book looks interesting (but still not my thing). A lot of good ratings though.

message 9: by willaful (new)

willaful Thanks for finding the link, Alicia.

No problem. =)

message 12: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh (ceilidh96) | 4 comments Alicia wrote: "Matt Wallace: I Confess to Killing the Soul of a Woman Just to Watch It Die Love this post."

That is just about perfect. Thanks for sharing that Alicia

message 13: by Rose (new)

Rose (rosepetals1984) | 3 comments Alicia wrote: "Matt Wallace: I Confess to Killing the Soul of a Woman Just to Watch It Die Love this post."

*applauds*

(And I just realized that this is my first post here. I'm a terrible lurker.)

No problem, Ceilidh.

Rose, or are you really good at lurking? ;)

message 15: by Rose (new)

Rose (rosepetals1984) | 3 comments Alicia wrote: "No problem, Ceilidh.

Rose, or are you really good at lurking? ;)"

LOL! I'm good at lurking, but I feel terrible for doing it. That's what I meant to say, but now that I read it back, it makes it sound like I'm terrible at the thing I'm doing. Gah!

Rose wrote: "LOL! I'm good at lurking, but I feel terrible for doing it. That's what I meant to say, but now that I read it back, it makes it sound like I'm terrible at the thing I'm doing. Gah!"

Hahaha. Now that you say it that way what you meant makes sense. Damn words and multiple interpretations.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 38 comments Alicia wrote: "Matt Wallace: I Confess to Killing the Soul of a Woman Just to Watch It Die Love this post."

That's an incredibly honest post. Much respect to him for writing it.

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) That's a great post and I'm glad I read it. Thanks for sharing it.