Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Don't librarians need the authors consent before they upload books?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (new)

Louise Payne (LouisePayneUK) Hello Goodreads Librarians, I am an author who has noticed that a goodreads librarian has added one of my unpublished books to goodreads with an incorrect book cover. I have read through some of the comments in this group and understand that this may not be able to be changed. This has also happened before on another one of my books. Is it possible to have a goodreads librarian to contact me directly to sort this issue out?

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (myfictionnook) | 265 comments Any member can add a book, even books that aren't published yet but are expected to be published, i.e. the next book in a series, or a new series an author has announced (See Cassandra Clare). If I interpret the rules correctly, a cover can be changed to the correct one unless a book has been published with the cover currently showing, and then gets a new cover, which then requires a 'alternate cover' edition.

Will the book that was added to the database be published at some point?

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise Payne (LouisePayneUK) Yes it will be, but I have no idea where the current cover came from as that is not the cover I am using for that title. I would very much like to know where that cover came from, and if it can be rectified.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (myfictionnook) | 265 comments If the book isn't published yet, the cover image can be changed. Upload the correct image to your profile, and post a request in this group to have the book's record updated.

Please also post a link to the book in question, so a librarian can look at the change log to see who uploaded the cover. It's entirely possible that it wasn't a librarian who added your unpublished book, but a regular site member as all members have the ability to add a book to the database.

message 5: by Louise (new)

Louise Payne (LouisePayneUK) I am currently re-branding my publications and wanting to upload them onto goodreads yet I have noticed that both of my books are listed on goodreads with the incorrect information, titles and covers. I am guessing that people have just uploaded what they thought to be the correct information. Please can both these books be deleted/taken down? Is that even possible?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Thank you Sandra, you have been most helpful and I thank you in advance.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (myfictionnook) | 265 comments I doubt that the books will be deleted since they've been shelved, but only a super librarian can delete books anyway.

The information however could possibly be changed for them, if you can provide the correct info.

message 7: by Louise (new)

Louise Payne (LouisePayneUK) Okay, and thank you again. Where do I send the correct information?

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (myfictionnook) | 265 comments As I said earlier, upload the correct covers to your profile, clearly labeled, and include the copyright information.

Then post a request in the appropriate area in this group to have your books updated. Provide all the pertinent information and links to your books. A librarian would then edit the books' records to display the correct information, as long as it is within the GR rules.

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41003 comments Mod
Louise wrote: "I am currently re-branding my publications"

That seems to imply that these covers have been published but are now being re-published with new covers.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (myfictionnook) | 265 comments rivka wrote: "Louise wrote: "I am currently re-branding my publications"

That seems to imply that these covers have been published but are now being re-published with new covers."

I was thinking that too, initially. In which case she'd need an alternate cover edition. Then again, one of the books appears to be unpublished, so that one might not fall under the usual rule?

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Jun 04, 2013 08:10AM) (new)

rivka | 41003 comments Mod
The two books I see have pub dates of January/April 2013 and May 20013, all of which have passed.

Looks like alt covers have already been added for both.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (myfictionnook) | 265 comments Yeah, I wasn't going off the pub dates listed on GR (which might have been incorrect), but by what the author was asserting. Thanks for your help.

message 13: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Forsythe | 24 comments Both books are also available at Amazon (Kindle) with the same primary covers seen on her author page.

Question: Which books/covers are you actually claiming to be wrong? Your links go to Harry Potter (which I think is the example link).

message 14: by Emy (last edited Jun 04, 2013 08:52AM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5017 comments Sadie wrote: "Question: Which books/covers are you actually claiming to be wrong? Your links go to Harry Potter (which I think is the example link). "

The links are truncated as I think they were copied over from another thread. (HP is just the first book ever(?) added to GR)

EDIT: here's the links

message 15: by Louise (new)

Louise Payne (LouisePayneUK) Thank you all, but i have rectified the issue. No help needed.