Friends Unite! discussion

Debate > Cyberbullying

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What are your thoughts about this?

At first I was crushed whenever I got cyberbullied, but now I just ignore it. The cyberbullies are being jerks anyway. And it's better to be embarrassed online than to be physically injured for life by a bully (and some people HAVE ended up in wheelchairs because of a bully physically hurting them).

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Cyberbullying can be really damaging emotionally, though.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

True. But what if we defend ourselves? Stand up against it?

νєяαℓι∂αιиє  | 54 comments Tiny Alien (Crazy) wrote: "True. But what if we defend ourselves? Stand up against it?"

Exactly, I don't really see how people can be cyberbullied. Sure, I've had a couple of times where I could have been, but I just told them to piss off (in the nicest way possible) and put them on the "ignore list". Or websites should have that feature, it means you can't see any posts by that person, or receive anything from them.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Same for me, but clearly not everyone does the same; maybe they don't think it will escalate? I don't know.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I've been what you may call "cyberbullied" actually just a few moments ago on a different site. I just feel sad for the bully now because the bully has had such a hard life and the bully thinks that he/she will feel better by hurting others emotionally. I think words outside of online DO hurt because the person can manipulate you and all, but online you can't hear the tone. So it shouldn't hurt so bad, right?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Not necessarily, I think words can be just as hurtful online as if they'd been said out loud. Sometimes more, because people say things online that they'd probably never say in real life. They don't think it's a big deal because "it's not real".

message 8: by Danyele (last edited Jun 06, 2013 11:42AM) (new)

Danyele Johnson | 3 comments I think the phrase "stick and stones can hurt my bones, but words will never hurt me" is total crap.
Maybe they aren't physically hurting the person but they certainly are mentally. And emotional trauma tends to take a lot more of a lasting toll than physical.

It is certainly just as detrimental as another form of bullying. Seeing as cyber bullying these days doesn't just stay on cyber space, the things cowardly said behind the screen are then repeated in classrooms and such. Millions of kids are bullied around the world and the effects are devastating.

The small world got smaller with the internet. You can't run away from the hate. Words leave a lasting impact, destroy confidence, self esteem. Some aren't as affected and I am glad, but some are driven to suicide. (Suicide from bullying is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting to thousands of deaths per year, according to the CDC)

So knowing that, I think it's a very serious issue, equally as important as any other form of bullying going on.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Maria wrote: "Not necessarily, I think words can be just as hurtful online as if they'd been said out loud. Sometimes more, because people say things online that they'd probably never say in real life. They don'..."

Whoa, they think "It's not real"? That's not right. As much as we hate to admit it, virtual life IS real life because you're not relating to robots most likely. You're relating to other humans such as yourself.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Danyele wrote: "I think the phrase "stick and stones can hurt my bones, but words will never hurt me" is crap.
Maybe they aren't physically hurting the person but they certainly are mentally. And emotional traum..."

True, true.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 06, 2013 11:46AM) (new)

Tiny Alien (Crazy) wrote: "Woah, they think "It's not real"? That's not right."

Agreed, but a lot of people think it's somehow more okay to say mean things on the internet than it would be otherwise. It's such an idiotic excuse but I've heard it.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

That's definitely an idiotic excuse! It doesn't make people less human to be online. We are all still human beings with feelings.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Of course we are! :)
Personally, I've never liked the internet that much, especially Facebook because people say stupid things and then everyone sees it, and it becomes this viral thing and impossible to stop. That's the thing with the internet - once you post something, EVERYONE sees it.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly!! Even the most private things (e.g. email) are viewed! Why? Not because the people who own the email site want to be stalkers but they want to make sure that we aren't into illegal stuff or anything.
Yeah!! Booo, Facebook!!!! Ha, ha!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, there's no privacy. But it is understandable that they'd check.
:D

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, they can be equally damaging in different ways. People are also less aware of the dangers of cyber bullying typically, but I think that's changing seeing as there have been more presentations and lectures on cyber bullying in school lately.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Tiny Alien (Crazy) wrote: "Exactly!! Even the most private things (e.g. email) are viewed! Why? Not because the people who own the email site want to be stalkers but they want to make sure that we aren't into illegal stuff o..."

That's why on Facebook you have to be careful with what you post and where you post. It's easy for a stalker to see everything you do and so they memorize who you are, what you look like, so you definitely have to be careful.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely true, Crazy!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

And with cyberbullying, you just need to tell the person to shut up and go away. If that doesn't work, block them. :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Yup! It's sad, though, that people can think of hurting others online. :(

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Sometimes it hurts more than the bully intended it to be. They don't know what's going on in their lives.

message 22: by ♕ ❤ ♕ Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x.♕ ❤ ♕ (last edited Aug 13, 2013 04:54PM) (new)

♕ ❤  ♕ Princess pink diamonds posh bird LINZY.x.♕ ❤ ♕ (marilyngoodreadscom) Cyberbullies are just cowards who have no other friends but a computer screen.The best thing to do is just ignore completely.If like me you find it hard not to comment try harder not to,its just feeding them when they have the satisfaction of you taking notice of them.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

That's true!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Whoa, my view of cyberbullying seems to have changed by a LOT! At least to me. :P

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

i have to say this...it may be rude but its true... if you are having cyberbullying issuse, STOP GOING ON THE COMPUTER!!!!!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree! Why do people keep logging on when they know it will make them miserable?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

i know hahahhaa

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw a movie on cyberbullying (it was actually called cyberbullying) and the girl who was being cyberbullied went back on the computer, every time, even when her mom said not to because she thought, "I have to see what they're saying about me." I understand that. Sometimes at school, people are whispering in class so that the teacher doesn't get mad (lol) and so I think that I hear my name, and I'm just dying to know what they were saying.