Nicholas Sparks Novels discussion

Movies -based on his books- > Discussing the movies in general

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Doug (new)

Doug | 50 comments Mod
Folks,

I thought I would create this folder to discuss novels of Nicholas Sparks that have been turned into movies.

Please feel free to add other topics.

We can add topics for particular books or we could try reading/discussing a particular novel over say a month. How about "The Choice" - his Latest? :)Doug

message 2: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2 comments I know they have to edit, to make a movie a reasonable length-that said, I believe Message In a Bottle was fabulous.

message 3: by Doug (new)

Doug | 50 comments Mod
Jo,

I haven't seen nor read Message in a Bottle. I just put a hold on the novel at the library. Once I have read it, I will get the movie out, since the Library has both.

I am glad you enjoyed the movie - I look forward to comparing notes on it and the novel> Doug

message 4: by Karen & Gerard (new)

Karen & Gerard (wwwgoodreadscomprofilekzemek) | 4 comments I liked "Message in a Bottle" as well, but also "The Notebook." I cried, of course. It was such a sweet story.

message 5: by Doug (new)

Doug | 50 comments Mod
Karen,

I have "Message in a Bottle" in book form out from the library. Once I have read the book, I will watch the movie. I am looking forward to both.

Both "The Notebook" and "A Walk to Remember" movies brought tears to my eyes. Both are sweet stories. "A Walk to Remember" was based on Nicholas sparks' sister and her husband. Knowing that made it even more poignant to me. :)doug

message 6: by Kami (new)

Kami | 1 comments Message in a Bottle is one of my favorite books- period. I've known it was made into a movie for a while now, but I just can't watch it. I saw it in the store not too long ago and refused to pick it up. I don't want it to ruin the book for me.
In middle school I was obsessed with Ella Enchanted, and then years later went to see the movie- and I was mad beyond words. It was the worst thing I could have imagined, and now I can't see the movie if I love the book.

message 7: by Doug (new)

Doug | 50 comments Mod
Kami,

I agree - it can be quite frustrating seeing a wonderful novel turned into a disappointing movie. I usually will only watch the movie version of a novel I have read if I have heard that it was outstanding. :)Doug

message 8: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz The Notebook is my favourite. I cried buckets at the end of that movie. Such an amazing love story. A Walk to Remember was good too but I liked the other better and I haven't seen Message in a Bottle but I plan to :)

message 9: by иєиυ¢σ (last edited Jun 15, 2008 09:21AM) (new)

иєиυ¢σ | 2 comments I just saw A Walk To Remember, but I really enjoyed it!
That movie makes me cry... it's amazing! Some friends have enjoyed it so much as me. I love when he tooks her to see the stars...

s2

message 10: by Doug (new)

Doug | 50 comments Mod
Ines,

Absolutely, just your reminding me of that scene brought tears to my eyes. Thank you, Doug

message 11: by Doug (new)

Doug | 50 comments Mod
Eastofoz,

I loved both movies - they were very different - except that they both tugged at my heart. I am looking forward to Message in the Bottle - :)Doug

message 12: by иєиυ¢σ (new)

иєиυ¢σ | 2 comments Well, it can seem stupid but my sister reminded me that I've already seen The Notebook, too. And as the other romances by Nicholas Sparks it's an underfull storie... A big love.. to forever! <3
(I'm sorry my english, but I'm just 15 years old and I'm portuguese...)
kiss

message 13: by Doug (new)

Doug | 50 comments Mod
Heez,

Welcome to the group - your English is just fine. You are right about "The Notebook" being about a live-long love and alot of giving on both sides. :)doug

message 14: by Vita (new)

Vita (retro_librarian) | 38 comments I can't wait for Nights in Rodanthe! September 26! Mark your calendars!

message 15: by Rickie (new)

Rickie Crandall (sidstia) | 8 comments The Notebook and a Walk to Remember were very well transended into the movies, however Message in A Bottle was totally chopped...it was still good but after reading the book I tried to watch the movie and then had to turn it off.

message 16: by Farzan (new)

Farzan (PersianGuy1983) | 86 comments Message In The Bottle is one of my favorite book and also I liked its movie and a Walk to Remember . both films can touch your heart...

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonfn) | 31 comments I have to read Nights for Rodanthe before the movie comes out, because I know I won't read it if I see the movie first - anyone else feel the same way? I love Richard Gere and Diane Lane together!

message 18: by Doug (new)

Doug | 50 comments Mod
Allison,

I am looking forward to seeing Gere and Lane together - it should be excellent. :)Doug

message 19: by Doug (new)

Doug | 50 comments Mod
Farzan,

I am glad to hear you liked "Message in a Bottle". I just took it out of the library, but haven't seen it yet. :)doug

message 20: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) The Notebook movie is definitely my favorite of his that's been made. I cry every time I see it. Then Walk to Remember is a close second. I haven't seen Message in Bottle for years but I don't remember really liking it. I want to read the book again soon. I forget what it was even about! I can't wait to see Nights in Rodanthe - but you should definately read the book first. I loved the book - and as most movies are - they always leave stuff out that's in the book. And I love Lane & Gere together!!

I also saw that Dear John is going to be in production soon. I didn't really like this book like his others - so maybe I'll like the movie better.

message 21: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 07, 2008 08:42PM) (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments I thought that Message In a Bottle started well enough, but I felt that it was rather a let down in the end. Not typical for Sparks closings. Just finished Dear John, starting The Rescue and feel as though The Choice is his best work yet!!

message 22: by Doug (new)

Doug | 50 comments Mod
Jennifer,

I also enjoyed "the Choice" - it was wonderful, as so many of his novels are. :)Doug

message 23: by Doug (new)

Doug | 50 comments Mod
Brandie,

I am glad that "Dear John" is also in production. I am looking forward to the opening of "Nights in Rodanthe". :)doug

message 24: by Vita (new)

Vita (retro_librarian) | 38 comments I am so excited about Nights and Rodanthe! When I saw the previews (while waiting to see Sex and the City), I was lucky between my fiance and a friend. I was about to jump out of my seat and cheer!

No one around here (Baton Rouge, Louisiana) seems to understand my love for Nicholas Sparks and his wonderful work.

I am so excited about Dear John also!

message 25: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonfn) | 31 comments Do we know who the actors will be in Dear John yet?

message 26: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) Tatum Channing is supposedly the lead role in Dear John (according to imdb.com). He was in Step Up 2 (which I didn't see...but hear he's pretty popular with the tween group). He's cute...I won't have a problem watching it! lol.

message 27: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonfn) | 31 comments Ohhh Tatum Channing would be perfect to play John I think! He is pretty cute, I think he definitely looks the part of a soldier. I wonder who they'll pick for the female lead? It will be interesting!

message 28: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) I agree! Supposed to be out sometime in 2009!

message 29: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonfn) | 31 comments Just saw this on Yahoo News, thought I'd share:

Los Angeles (E! Online) - • Now that she's found her dad, Mamma Mia! gal Amanda Seyfried can start searching for her man. Per Variety, the 22-year-old Big Lover will star in Dear John, Lasse Hallstrom's feature film based on the Nicholas Sparks bestseller, playing a young woman who falls in love with a soldier on leave from Iraq (Channing Tatum). Cameras roll next month in South Carolina.

message 30: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) oh, yay!!! i like Amanda Seyfried! i love her character on Big Love (really good show on HBO if you've never seen it...). that's exciting! when are they going to do a movie for The Guardian or Bend in the Road??? i'd love to see those!

message 31: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisonfn) | 31 comments I LOVE Big Love!! I can't wait for that to go back on (I heard in 2009 it starts again...). Amanda Seyfried is so adorable, I think she's perfect for Savannah. So, her and Channing Tatum together - um, hi!! I still have to read The Guardian - Bend in the Road was so good, they should definitely make a movie out of that too!

message 32: by Christina C. (new)

Christina C. | 7 comments I'm so glad they picked Channing Tatum to play John!

okay so the book: Message in a Bottle is amazing, the ending was heartbreaking and i couldn't stop crying, i love that book
then i watched the movie and it was a big mistake. it was a big let down, i was so disappointed in the movie!

message 33: by Vita (new)

Vita (retro_librarian) | 38 comments I also did not like the movie based on Message in a Bottle. It is my least favorite of the movies made from his books.

message 34: by Farzan (new)

Farzan (PersianGuy1983) | 86 comments Vita :
They had changed some parts but I agree with you, they couldn't show some parts in book which was very exciting and the movie was boring but I really like this movie.

message 35: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) I agree with Message in a Bottle. I hated the movie...the book was way better. I read the book after I saw the movie. It's a really great book.

message 36: by Blayke (new)

Blayke (b_loves_twilight) | 6 comments hi sorry for bumping up old post's but i just found this group lol

the notebook = i love love love movie & book, the movie makes me cry every time i see it

nights in rodanthe = also makes me cry, i will read the book soon

a walk to remember = one of the best movies i've ever seen(along with the notebook), cry every time, gotta read it lol

i havent seen the others but now that i know about them i will be renting them after i read them lol =]

DEAR JOHN!!!!!! hands down the best Sparks' book i've read so far!!!! i so can not wait for the movie!!!!

the last song = very excited to read it and watch the movie!!!

again sorry about bringing up old posts lol

message 37: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 3 comments From his books, A walk to remember is the best movie.
Nights in Rodanthe was the worst attempt to convert a book into a movie. Very disappointing!

message 38: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 16 comments I loved A Walk to Remember too Miriam! At the time, i was going through major health problems and it was like the movie spoke to me and my boyfriend( who became my hubby). I also loved The Notebook, it was really sweet and i thought the ending was such a tear jerker. I didn't care for Nights in Rodanthe, i don't really know what it was about that movie, i just didn't get into it.

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Stubbs | 1 comments Surprisingly i liked the movie better than the book for The Notebook, that never happens. I haven't seen or read Nights of Rodanthe yet. But i will say my favorite Sparks book is either the Lucky One or The Gaurdian. The Choice was great too..cried so much it hurt....

message 40: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 3 comments I can't beleive that to date six of Nicholas Spark's books have been made into movies. I have seen all of them except Dear John, a book I am currently reading.
I used to watch Ryan Gosling on ytv in Canada before I saw the Notebook and discovered that it was based on a book, and the rest is history. It is unreal to me how famous Gosling is now because of movies like the Notebook, it was really good.

message 41: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn Gunter | 13 comments I had no idea until recently these movies were books! I know I didn't know who Nicolas Sparks was up to a few months ago! haha...I've seen some of the movies, which I love (Notebook and Last Song, especially)...Is it worth reading the book if I've already seen the movie?

message 42: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Dyment | 2 comments ok i was at the movies and The lucky one is turning into a movie i have never read the book but after the preevew i deffently will but everyone should deffently look up the movie :)

message 43: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 6 comments I too heard The Lucky One is going to be a movie. Great Book! I can't wait..

message 44: by Heather (new)

Heather Leivas | 3 comments Ok new and there are so many post. I saw that 6 boooks have been turned into movies. Can someone post the books that were put into movies as I would love to see them as him books are incredible. Thanks for your help.

message 45: by Kaycee (new)

Kaycee (kayceebautista) | 4 comments Heather wrote: "Ok new and there are so many post. I saw that 6 boooks have been turned into movies. Can someone post the books that were put into movies as I would love to see them as him books are incredible. Th..."

The Lucky One
Message In a Bottle
Dear John
The Last Song
A Walk to Remember
The Notebook
:)

message 46: by Kaycee (new)

Kaycee (kayceebautista) | 4 comments Kaycee wrote: "Heather wrote: "Ok new and there are so many post. I saw that 6 boooks have been turned into movies. Can someone post the books that were put into movies as I would love to see them as him books ar..."

Nights In Rodanthe, also :)

message 47: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1 comments Safe Haven & The Best of Me are being turned into a movie

message 48: by Heather (new)

Heather Leivas | 3 comments thanks

message 49: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Cramer-Kelly (traceycramer-kelly) I recently watched the "Dear John" movie, THEN read the book. I wrote up some of my observations here if anyone is interested: http://www.traceycramerkelly.com/dear...

message 50: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 7 comments I totally forgot about message in a bottle, I liked it but not like I loved a walk to remember. When is safe haven supposed to come out? I loved that book.

« previous 1