Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Short Novels of John Steinbeck
Adding New Books > Compound editions of popular works

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark (markja) | 6 comments How to document [sets of] books containing other works previously published as books, making the content display as other edition(s) of the work(s), yet retaining the association and making it apparent. Other examples of this conundrum are: Harvard Classics; Great Books of the Western World. None of these seems to be handled suitably.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41003 comments Mod
Books that contain other books should NOT be combined with the subsets. (I.e., an omnibus containing volumes 1, 2, 3 must not be combined with volume 1 or 2 or 3.)

In some cases, a series is appropriate. however, the examples you have given are imprints, not series. And the particular book you linked would also not be an example of a series.

Librarians are forced to work within the existing technical framework. We have no control over changing it. (And in the case of series, the current framework is already so complex that I expect additional complexity being added in unlikely.)

message 3: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark (markja) | 6 comments I could not find a definition of 'imprint' in the librarians' manual. My uaabridged dictionary defines it as an impression--as for final review and editing. I am confused and unimpressed. Clarify please.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

message 5: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Also see "Imprint" on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprint

The series of a book is a work setting and thus applies to all editions of a book. As a general rule of thumb if the series does not apply to all editions, it should not be added.

I like using Shakespeare as an example because his books are published everywhere. So, for Romeo & Juliet we have:

Folger Shakespeare Library's Romeo and Juliet
Signet Classics' Romeo and Juliet
Dover Thift Editions' Romeo and Juliet
No Fear Shakespeares' Romeo and Juliet

These are all imprints and should not be added as series because they do not apply to all editions of the work.

As an alternative you can create a Listopia for the imprint, Listopia are edition specific, as long as you add by ISBN it will show the particular imprint. Examples: Penguin English Library, Crown's Classics of Modern Science Fiction

message 6: by Nate (last edited Dec 26, 2014 11:17PM) (new)

Nate (natec) | 3 comments With specific regard to the Harvard Classics (51 volumes), if I'm understanding the policy correctly, the books that are just editions of existing works (e.g. Darwin - Voyage of the Beagle), should just be added as a new edition to that book, as those would be classified as imprints.

That's easy enough, but what about the books in the Harvard Classics that are new compilations of writings where another edition does not exist? If I'm understanding the policy correctly, a new book should be made for these editions.

So if someone wants to add all five feet of the Harvard Classics to their book shelf on goodreads, they will need to browse specific editions of certain titles to find the specific HC edition (there have been many), while for other titles, it will just be its own book; and to help bridge this gap, a listopedia should be created? Do I have that all correct?

Right now, the Harvard Classics entries are a disaster, but I don't want to help fix it unless I know I'm following the policy correctly.

To make matters more confusing, a Harvard Classics Deluxe edition was issued in the late 60s (although the copyright date inside is 1909 and 1939, and it's old enough where no isbn exists) that only contains about half of the books in the series (or whatever you want to call it, as I'm sure the word "series" has a specific definition in goodreads lexicon), but there is absolutely no documentation on it online that I can find.