Adventures in Literature discussion

General > Book Nominations for August 11th

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva (new)

Eva Kosmas | 13 comments Mod
To suggest a book to be included in the poll for the next reading session on August 11th, please leave the title of the book below. And feel free to tell us a little about it and why you think it would be an interesting read.

At the beginning of August, the moderators will go through the list and pick the final 10 books for the club-wide poll. The book with the most votes from club members will be the next book on the docket.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan (dulcigal) Oh! I nominate "Fork It Over: the intrepid adventures of a professional eater" by Alan Richman (“Food is life. The rest is parsley.”), essayist with GQ. Subjects include his hunt for the infamous Crabby Jewish Waiters of New York City, "Early Bird" dining with his retired parents, and a wine-tasting party with Serious Wine People that included $1,000+ bottles. Mr Richman is an entertaining writer, truly fun to read. And there would certainly be much to discuss, always a good thing for a book group.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments I recommend "The World That was Ours" by Hilda Bernstein. I'm reading it now and it is absolutely amazing! Bernstein and her husband, Rusty, were communists and anti-apartheid activists in South Africa. This memoir is about their life in 1960s Johannesburg, and the famous Rivonia trial, in which Rusty and Nelson Mandela (among others) were tried for overthrowing the apartheid system. I have learned so much about South African history and the fight against apartheid, yet the book reads like a novel and I can't put it down. Highly recommended!

message 4: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinamona) | 9 comments Has anyone read 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' by Jared Diamond? My boyfriend read it and said it is SUPER! It won the Pulitzer Prize and looks at how geographical and environmental factors shape the modern world. For example, how religion started, how we began using microorganisms as weapons, etc. I vote for that book!

message 5: by Brianne (new)

Brianne Du Clos | 6 comments Mod
Katrina wrote: "Has anyone read 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' by Jared Diamond? My boyfriend read it and said it is SUPER! It won the Pulitzer Prize and looks at how geographical and environmental factors shape the mod..."

Oooh, I have owned that book for THREE YEARS and have never opened it! What am I waiting for?! It sounds so fascinating.

message 6: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie Astemborski | 1 comments would anyone else be interested in reading "poor man's feast"? I have heard good things about it and recently added it to my ever growing "to read" list.

message 7: by Eva (new)

Eva Kosmas | 13 comments Mod
Jacquie wrote: "would anyone else be interested in reading "poor man's feast"? I have heard good things about it and recently added it to my ever growing "to read" list."

I've heard great things about that one, too! It's on my amazon wishlist :)

message 8: by Jilliebean (last edited Jun 12, 2013 09:38PM) (new)

Jilliebean | 6 comments Guns,Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond sounds interesting!

message 9: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Westerhausen (vegetarianventures) | 1 comments Has anyone read "The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved"? It's about all the underground food cultures that are taking place due to backlash against the processed food industry as we know it. I've only read a few chapters from it but it seems fascinating so far.

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaprussel) | 1 comments That seems like it would be a really interesting read. Definitely checking that out !

message 11: by Erik (new)

Erik Kaye (Dogpilot) How about a Wild Adventure Book.

Eagles in the flesh

message 12: by David (new)

David Farris | 1 comments I also recommend Poor Man' Feast. The author Elissa Altman won The James Beard Award for Individual Food Blog in 2012 for a blog of the same name. I have read this blog since the award. I understand the book covers the time before I started to read the blog, She has a great command of food and cooking as well as a witty, sarcastic, sentimental tone.