Adventures in Literature discussion

The Disappearing Spoon > Introductions & Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva (last edited Jul 18, 2013 10:04PM) (new)

Eva Kosmas | 13 comments Mod
Hello and welcome! We are so very glad you are here! For our very first book, we will be reading The Disappearing Spoon: A Tale of the Periodic Table of Elements. Below is the reading & discussion schedule, this is a no-pressure book club so it's okay if you fall a bit behind, just catch up when you are able and join in on the discussions wherever you're at.

Meeting 1: Monday, June 24th
1 - Geography is Destiny
2 - Near Twins and Black Sheep
3 - The Galapagos of the Periodic Table

Meeting 2: Sunday, July 7th
4 - Where Atoms Come From
5 - Elements in Times of War
6 - Completing a Table...With a Bang
7 - Extending the Table, Expanding the Cold War

Meeting 3: Friday, July 19th
8 - From Physics to Biology
9 - Prisoner's Corridor
10 - Take Two Elements, Call Me in the Morning
11 - How Elements Deceive

Meeting 4: Tuesday, July 30th
12 - Political Elements
13 - Elements as Money
14 - Artistic Elements
15 - An Element of Madness

Meeting 5: Saturday, August 10th
16 - Chemistry Way, Way Below Zero
17 - Spheres of Splendor
18 - Tools of Ridiculous Precision
19 - Above (and Beyond) the Periodic Table

Now, tell us a bit about yourself! Your name, where you're from, what draws you to nonfiction reading, and any other information you'd like to share. Can't wait to hear all about you!

message 2: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinamona) | 9 comments Are we moving the second meeting to another day??

message 3: by Eva (new)

Katrina wrote: "Are we moving the second meeting to another day??"

No, I was out of town and just got back tonight. Got lost in Death Valley unfortunately so it took me 3 more hours to get back than I had originally planned :/

But the new meeting is up! Sorry for the delay!

message 4: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinamona) | 9 comments Not a problem! Glad you made it back in one piece!

message 5: by Eva (new)

Hi All! If you've been keeping up with my blog you've probably guessed that the wedding planning has completely taken over my life at this point and that's why I have been so, SO late with the last discussion. I'm so sorry for the huge delay, but in less than two weeks I'll be a married lady and all this wedding madness will be behind me! So, I will be back in full-force after Labor Day weekend with the final discussion for The Disappearing Spoon and then we can all vote on a new book to read for the fall (perhaps something less technical this time ;) ). Until then have an amazing rest of your summer!!

message 6: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinamona) | 9 comments Eva wrote: "Hi All! If you've been keeping up with my blog you've probably guessed that the wedding planning has completely taken over my life at this point and that's why I have been so, SO late with the last..."

Sounds great to me! Enjoy planning - you only get to do it once!! We'll all have our discussions ready for when you get back. Chat soon!

message 7: by Eva (new)

Katrina wrote: "Eva wrote: "Hi All! If you've been keeping up with my blog you've probably guessed that the wedding planning has completely taken over my life at this point and that's why I have been so, SO late w..."

Thank you Katrina!! Talk soon!!

message 8: by Brianne (new)

Brianne Du Clos | 6 comments Mod
Eva wrote: "Hi All! If you've been keeping up with my blog you've probably guessed that the wedding planning has completely taken over my life at this point and that's why I have been so, SO late with the last..."

I was wondering about the timing...:) YAY, wedding time!