Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives 2013 > Series Discussion for Harper Connelly

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4045 comments Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1) by Charlaine Harris Grave Surprise (Harper Connelly, #2) by Charlaine Harris An Ice Cold Grave (Harper Connelly, #3) by Charlaine Harris Grave Secret (Harper Connelly, #4) by Charlaine Harris

The Harper Connelly Mysteries is a series of fantasy mystery novels first published in 2005. The series is narrated by 24-year-old Harper Connelly, who comes from a self-professed “riches to rags” family. Her mother married a man when Harper was a teenager, and she acquired a step-brother, Tolliver, in the process. They watched their parents succumb to drugs and their family life reduced to nothing. At 15, Harper was struck by lightning, a life-altering event that left her with the unique ability to sense dead people. When near a dead person, she can hear a “buzzing sound” that intensifies if the death is more recent. Along with this ability, she can see how the person died, but in the case of murders, not the identity of the murderer. Intent on making the most of her situation, Harper and Tolliver (who has taken on the role of her manager) charge customers who are in need of her special talent.

Have you read this series what do you think? Do you plan to check it out? Let us know what you think.

message 2: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Gakis (margarita_gakis) | 5 comments I LOVED this series. I saw Charlaine Harris at san diego comiccon and was SO DISSAPOINTED when she said she felt like she'd taken the heroine on the journey she needed to go on and was done with this series! I really liked the heroine and her 'gift/curse' - I thought it had so much more potential!!

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahjbailey) | 21 comments In so gutted she decided to finish series. I loved the harper Connelly story's. the series felt like they are no way near finished.

message 4: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Gakis (margarita_gakis) | 5 comments I complete agree! when she mentioned that [and I've no idea if she still feels that way, but it seemed pretty final] she said something like "Well, I feel like I've told Harper's story" and then of course, someone asked about Sookie and she said something like "I feel like Sookie's story has a lot left to explore" adn TBH, I felt completely the opposite! I felt like Harper had so much more potential but the sookie books were dying out for me [and I didn't even read the last two or three]. :(
that was the 2010 Comiccon I was at.

message 5: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 972 comments I have read this series and I liked it a lot. I thought it was a shame that she ended it so soon. I think it was set up in a way that there could have been more books. Each book being about a particular investigation. My cynical, negative self thinks Harris abandonded this series in her Sookie/True Blood mania.

message 6: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 536 comments I loved this series too but I've heard that there's an option to do a show about this series too. So maybe that'll get some more of the books going. I'd love to see what happens next to you know who.

message 7: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4045 comments I have the first one on audio perhaps I will check it out.

J-J lover of books (jay-j) | 13 comments I absolutely loved this series. I wish there was more books. Maybe she will go back to it, i feel Harper & Tolliver have more to tell us. More adventures to share.
I think it would make an awesome TV series.

message 9: by Caressa (new)

Caressa Brandenburg | 15 comments This was definitely my favorite series of hers. I had read the Sookie books which I liked as a series. It is a shame this series couldn't have continued there were a lot more adventures to be had.

message 10: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 972 comments Dawn wrote: "I have the first one on audio perhaps I will check it out."

Not on audio.......j/k It is a really good series. It's more like a Graveyard Queen type of story than a Sookie type story.

message 11: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4045 comments Alisa wrote: "Dawn wrote: "I have the first one on audio perhaps I will check it out."

Not on audio.......j/k It is a really good series. It's more like a Graveyard Queen type of story than a Sookie type s..."

LOLs I love the Graveyard Queen...and you are probably right about the audio I am still working on the Dawn Cook book and we read that when LMAO

message 12: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I thought the last book was the best of the series and was looking forward to more. The only reason I can see her stopping it so abruptly is timing. When the books came out there were a lot of psychic/ghost shows on TV. You had the Ghost Whisperer and Medium and this series wasn't well known at the time. Plus, Sookie was taking off with HBO and she probably thought she'd be spreading herself thin.