YA LGBT Books discussion

Self-Promotion > Ashlyn Daube

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments Hello. I'm Ashlyn. I started trying to publish my stories last year, but so far I've only managed to do stories for the adult groups writing event. They are both YA though, because it is my favorite genre to write.

My first story The Ivory Prison came out last year:

Blurb: Gabriel didn’t always have a name. Born in a mysterious facility, he knows he’s not human, but an experiment with a purpose that no one is willing to reveal. His life is a routine and an hourglass of when he will disappear. He has no hopes, no dreams, until one day someone new interrupts that routine, someone like him, someone free, and it changes everything.

It's sci-fi dystopia with a side of paranormal.

You can download it for free pretty much anywhere:
http://ashlyndaube.com/?page_id=2
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

My second story The Circle will come out this summer at a yet TBD date:

It is also a dystopia. Blurb is still a secret.

message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16363 comments I love those covers!

message 3: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments I love them too! :)

message 4: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments I was looking at The Circle and thought the same thing before I scrolled down.. Really nice.. But I want some Blurb to get excited over (cause I try never to judge a book by it's cover.. :) )

message 5: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments I'll post a blurb when I know the release date or when the story pops up on the event.

message 6: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments I created the downloads page for The Circle on my webpage.
http://ashlyndaube.com/?page_id=170

Have a blurb:

Life is hard in the country of Gorus. Once ravaged by an ancient war, Gorus’ future is dependent on its politics and the four families that rule them. Andrew is the firstborn of one such family. His future has been called. An heir of his country he has to follow the rules. He can never stray. And there are many rules and heir can break. Like being gay. Or falling in love with the son of your father’s rival.

message 7: by Byron (new)

Byron (byft) | 1060 comments Ohhhh this is a good tease.... I'm getting excited.. :)

message 8: by Lissa (new)

Lissa (parisbvamp) | 64 comments I'm excited for the Cirle. :)

message 9: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments The first thing I do every morning is check if it is posted :P

message 10: by Lissa (new)

Lissa (parisbvamp) | 64 comments I do too, but note, that my YA story just came out and I did get a message from Sue a few days before hand telling me the day it was going to be posted, but wasn't allowed to share. So keep an eye out for that. I can't wait for the darn story.

message 11: by Macky (new)

Macky (mactut) Thanks Ashlyn, Ive just downloaded The Ivory Prison. Sounds really interesting, and Look forward to the Circle coming out. Agree on the covers, really great. :)

message 12: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments I'll keep an eye out for an e-mail then *crosses fingers*

Macky wrote: "Thanks Ashlyn, Ive just downloaded The Ivory Prison. Sounds really interesting, and Look forward to the Circle coming out. Agree on the covers, really great. :)"

Thanks, Macky :)

I'm planning to release more info about Ivory Prison 2 soon. Including the title and maybe a cover. I wanted to do it for the anniversary because my brain kept telling me it was released June 27th, but it was May 27th oops. I missed the release anniversary with nothing to show ^^

I'm so slow. No excuse.

message 13: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments I'm finalizing the cover for Genetic Shifters 2, titled The Dark Chamber. Originally the image was too dark so I played with the contrast and imitating the color of book 1. I have seven test covers, but I think it will be between 3, 4, 5 or 6 (imgur labels them 0-6).

In case it helps the genre is Sci-Fi with paranormal elemets. Here's the link to all covers: http://imgur.com/a/n2naR#0

Any opinions are appreciated. Sometimes I need a good smack when it comes to graphics :)

Still nothing on when The Circle will be released. With my luck it will come out at the end when I have to go back to work.

I'm also hoping to finish the Spanish translation of The Ivory Prison this week. It's much harder than I thought it was going to be.

message 14: by Kaje (last edited Jul 13, 2013 09:01PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16363 comments I think the black one is both too horror-blood plus the title becomes very hard to read on it. I like the other - I'd probably go with one where the hand is a bit clearer/more contrast - take it down to small thumbnail and be sure you can see what it is.

message 15: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments Kaje wrote: "I think the black one is both too horror-blood plus the title becomes very hard to read on it. I like the other - I'd probably go with one where the hand is a bit clearer/more contrast - take it do..."
What number is it on imgur? I'll probably still tweak with the text and do some small version tests. It does look nice small like that :)

message 16: by Kaje (last edited Jul 13, 2013 10:23PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16363 comments That one was whatever you had in your post. I think the second from the top has the clearest image of the hand, but it's also an overall lower contrast image. You might tweak it just a bit to show better. And if the text were slightly bigger it would be more readable in thumbnail, although it's good to keep it consistent with the feel of the first book in the series. Good luck with the tweaking.

message 17: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments Kaje wrote: "That one was whatever you had in your post. I think the second from the top has the clearest image of the hand, but it's also an overall lower contrast image. You might tweak it just a bit to show..."
#3 Thanks for the input, Kaje :) Yes, I left the text the same size and style as the first book for consistency.

P.S. Could you tell there is a face on the left. You can only really see the lips.

message 18: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16363 comments No - I didn't see a face at all even in the bigger version

message 19: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments Kaje wrote: "No - I didn't see a face at all even in the bigger version"

I've been seeing the image so much to me it's always there :P

This will be the final version. Thank you so much for the input!

message 20: by Kaje (last edited Jul 14, 2013 07:52PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16363 comments Very nice, and a good complement to the first one.

message 21: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments Kaje wrote: "Very nice, and a good compliment to the first one."

Thank you :)

message 22: by Jessa (new)

Jessa Ryan (jessaryan) | 9 comments I like it Ashlyn! Very nice!
I didn't notice the face either, until you mentioned it, but I can see it better in your final version.

message 23: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments Jessa wrote: "I like it Ashlyn! Very nice!
I didn't notice the face either, until you mentioned it, but I can see it better in your final version."

Thanks, Jessa!

message 24: by Lissa (new)

Lissa (parisbvamp) | 64 comments I begin to think they are never going to release this short. :(

message 25: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments I couldn't tell you even if I knew. Which I don't ^^

message 26: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments Ok. So I completely forgot to come back here. I'm officially back to my non author job. So busy busy.

The Circle was finally released almost two weeks this coming Monday. It's only been on the M/M Romance Group and their website and I know those are only 18+ places so I just uploaded the story to its Goodreads page and it'll eventually be on Smashwords, Kindle, iTunes, Nook, etc.

In the meantime, if you want a copy just send me an e-mail at ashlyndaube(AT)gmail(DOT)com or PM with your address and preferred file type. I have .epub, .mobi, and .pdf. The story is completely free.

I also need help polishing the blurb for The Dark Chamber. I'm very stuck. This is what I got so far:

Gabriel finally knows what he is. A creature that can become others. A shifter. An ability hard learned from fear and the scar of a bullet.

The ivory prison Gabriel grew up in is not so bleak anymore. He is no longer confined within those four walls. He is no longer alone. He has Dr. Mercier, the facility’s second in command, the first person to show him kindness, and he has Lukas, the only other shifter Gabriel has ever met.

Gabriel has healed from his almost execution, he and Lukas have spent the last few months training. Now the time for training is over and the people that made Gabriel and Lukas demand that they work. These demands cannot be refused. Gabriel knows that he can survive anything as long as Lukas is with him, but every day is a struggle because Lukas, the one person Gabriel trusts in the world, keeps pulling away, and the promise Lukas made Gabriel, to never let the people that kept them in cages tear them apart, is no more than a memory.

And because I feel like sharing, here's the first sentence of The Dark Chamber:

Sometimes, when I open my eyes, I find myself surrounded by white walls and a mirror where I see a young creature that looks like a human, talks like a human, feels like a human, but isn't human.

message 27: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) I loved the Ivory Prison!

message 28: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments Julia wrote: "I loved the Ivory Prison!"
I want to release a teaser for the sequel soon :)

In other news, The Circle is now on Smashwords and Amazon! If you can spare a moment please report it on Amazon as free.

message 29: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments I'm looking to create a beta circle with around 3-5 people for The Dark Chamber.

I'm not to worried about spelling and grammar, but I would love some beta on plot, consistency, details, characters, emotional level, etc since I am not writing the story linearly.

I already have two people so looking for at least one or three more. First come first served.

Requirements:
1. Be familiar with The Ivory Prison
2. Keep in contact
3. Don't share any spoilers :P
4. Be okay with receiving chapters sporadically. I already have the full draft of the story and I'm slowly going through it editing chapter by chapter.
5. Be ok with angst.

PM me if you are interested.

message 30: by Wren (new)

Wren  (wrenreaders) you should totally write an f/f at some point

message 31: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments Maybe one day, but I don't even have plot bunnies.

message 32: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments I posted the first chapter of The Dark Chamber at my website if anyone wants a sneak peek.

http://ashlyndaube.com/?p=350

message 33: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments Commissioned some artwork with Lukas and Gabriel <3 It was done by the amazing Archie the Red Cat.

Speaking of which I am looking for betas and/or feedback readers for The Dark Chamber. I will request signing an NDA (non disclosure agreement). Novel is 16/21 chapters finished. Sequel to The Ivory Prison. YA Futuristic Sci-Fi.

Blurb (contains spoilers for first story)
Gabriel finally knows what he is. A creature that can become others. A shifter. An ability hard learned from fear and the scar of a bullet.

The ivory prison Gabriel grew up in is not so bleak anymore. He is no longer confined within those four walls. He is no longer alone. He has Dr. Mercier, the facility’s second in command, the first person to show him kindness, and he has Lukas, the only other shifter Gabriel has ever met.

Gabriel has healed from his almost execution, he and Lukas have spent the last few months preparing for what they were created. Now the time for training is over and the people that made Gabriel and Lukas demand that they work. These demands cannot be refused. Gabriel knows that he can survive anything as long as Lukas is with him, but every day is a struggle because Lukas, the one person Gabriel trusts in the world, keeps pulling away, and the promise Lukas made Gabriel, to never let the people that kept them in cages tear them apart, is no more than a memory.

Free Prologue

People that help me with beta or feedback of the book will receive a free copy of the final version and my eternal thanks. PM me with e-mail if interested.

message 34: by Myka (new)

Myka (mykaramos) | 83 comments My story coming up in the Love Landscapes event will be YA. My first fantasy book! And yes this time it is a book, not a short story woohoo! 39+K

It will be free.