Dystopia Land discussion

Movies & Television > Dystopia Video Games

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments Sorry if this is in the wrong section I wasn't sure where to post but it seemed to match the Movies and TV shows lists we were doing.
So how about we name Dystopian video games?
Note: wiki page with a whole bunch of Dystopian things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

Fallout series - In the future People come put of vaults "Or bunkers" were they've been living in for years to face the destroyed and radiated world.

Bioshock Series - A attempt at a utopia city made under the sea failed and the city of Rapture became corrupt.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Anna wrote: "Sorry if this is in the wrong section I wasn't sure where to post but it seemed to match the Movies and TV shows lists we were doing.
So how about we name Dystopian video games?
Note: wiki page wit..."

The Fallout series sounds like a good one. Of course I don't play video games. Not because I don't want to, I just don't have a video game system.

message 3: by Adam (last edited Jun 03, 2013 09:21PM) (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments Fallout 3 was amazing! I didn't really like the Vegas as much, did you play that Anna? Haven't tried the originals yet. And the first Bioshock was also awesome. Okay... some titles to add:

Syndicate (2012) - Mature - video game is a spin-off of two other old school computer games (DOS/early Windows-era). This newer title features a corporate assassin and the heavily oppressive cyberpunk world in which he lives. It's a first person shorter. The graphics are intense, it is 100% based in a Dystopia. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uvYl...

Deus Ex Series - All Mature - Cyberpunk world in which the main character is instrumental in shaping the world around him. Titles of note are Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Invisible War, and Deus Ex Human Revolution. The last is the newest and has the greatest graphics (I have it on X-Box 360). The primary character works for a multinational company as an errand boy but quickly realizes he can change the fate of mandkind. All decisions are up to the player. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5KW...

Cyberpunk 2077 - Unknown/Mature - Once one of the greatest pencil-and-paper RPGs, soon to be released as a video game. Not out yet but the art on their FB page looks cool. See: http://cyberpunk.net/

Shadowrun SNES and Genesis were also great. New ones (including an MMO) coming out soon.

EDIT: Almost forgot... Dystopia: A Cyberpunk Game for the Source Engine - First Person Shooter MMO - this is a free MMO that's absolutely amazing. I was reluctant to mention it at first because it does lack a lot of the atmospheric/environmental aspects such as games like Syndicate or Neocron have (another active MMO, albeit old). It is, at its heart, a pure shooter. But it features the best in game hacking for deckers that I've ever seen in a game. Based on the Half-Life engine. See: http://www.dystopia-game.com/

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) You guys are awesome, thanks for adding such great topics!

message 5: by A (last edited Jun 03, 2013 09:50PM) (new)

A M H | 45 comments Adam wrote: "Fallout 3 was amazing! I didn't really like the Vegas as much, did you play that Anna? Haven't tried the originals yet. And the first Bioshock was also awesome."

Yeah I never played fallout 1 or 2 either. I own 3 and yeah I beat the main storyline and liked it. :) I played but didn't beat New Vegas, I didn't like it cause there was a glitch or something where my companions where without me and killed people and it made a fraction hate me lol. Ruined my game.
I never played Bioshock 1, but I have 2 and I've played Infinite. I haven't beat them though. Bioshock 2 got boring for me but I liked the characters and concept of it. Little and big sisters are cool. Infinite is good but I only rented it so I wasn't able to finish it.

message 6: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments Defiance - (Since I put info about the show on the tv section I thought I should post info of the game plot on here.) The world was terraformed over by a device that makes a terraspire. Von Bach, a genius with knowledge about the tech, is teamed up with you, an ark hunter, in order to get the parts to reform a new terraspire so he can reform Earth again, but this time good instead of bad like the first time. He believes he can fix Earth.
In my opinion it's a really awesome game. I loved the ending and can't wait for dlc packs! :)

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments Oh maybe I'll give it a try then. I'd be lost though as I haven't really been keeping up with the show.

message 8: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments Adam wrote: "Oh maybe I'll give it a try then. I'd be lost though as I haven't really been keeping up with the show."

What game console do you have? I have a PS3.

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments I have a 360... but I thought Defiance was free online? (I'm so far behind on gaming)

message 10: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (somecrazygingerkid) | 0 comments bioshock was ok, the storyline/gameplay is "unique" a bit quick though in my opinion if I beat a game in less than three days I tend to be a bit disappointed. but then again I beat the walking dead in a day and a half and I loved that game :D

message 11: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments The game has no monthly subscription if that's what you mean. I don't have 360 though so I can't say if you have to pay for online from xbox to use it though. I also don't think its free on the computer online but I'm not sure about that either since I don't play it on a computer.. All I know is PS3 is free since the game has no subscription and PS3 internet is free too.

message 12: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments Dead Island & Dead Island Riptide - Yep.. Zombies! I haven't played the 1st game but I tried Riptide and it was good. Open island world with quests, weapons and different types of zombies of course.

message 13: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (somecrazygingerkid) | 0 comments never played either, I was big into Resident evil but haven't played the last two maybe three.

message 14: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments Never played resident evil. Are they good?

Brink - Due to natural disasters the world is covered with water, refugees live on the floating city called the Ark. The city originally saved the people but as time went on the resources have begun to run out. There are two groups. Resistance and Security. Security wants everyone to remain on the city and wishes to protect the Ark and the remain resources. They belive in order and law. They see Resistance as a terrorist group. The Resistance believes there must be help outside of the city and wishes to leave the Ark. The player can choose either side to fight for and there are also "What-If" missions that go back and say what could have happened.

message 15: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (somecrazygingerkid) | 0 comments yes they are pretty good I enjoy a good horror game here and there to take a break from massive rpgs lol
that and world of warcraft which im currently taking from.

message 16: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments Cool. I tried WoW before but my cp didn't like being in crowded areas and would get slow. :(

More zombie games:
Dead Rising series
Dead Nation
The Walking Dead
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

I didn't like Dead Nation or Dead Rising 2 and gave up on playing them early on but that's my opinion. I never played Survival Instinct, but I have The Walking Dead and its a pretty good story game.

message 17: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments Dishonored - The game is set in the past.. With advanced tech powered by whale oil. The Empress is killed and the Empress's daughter is kidnapped. Corvo, ( aka You), her personal body guard, is blamed. Now an evil dictator rules. The world is in even more trouble when rats come to the city of Dunwall and to date has killed half of the population with the Rat Plague.
- Depending on how you play the game there is a few different endings.

message 18: by Adam (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments Brink sounds awesome, I've got to try that. Dead Island is pretty fun, you may like that Anna. Graphics look intense but the story is a little weak.

Almost forgot about Mirror's Edge. That game is 100% dystopian goodness. You're basically a courier and you're suddenly being hunted by the [thought] police. The game is stunning. One of the first truly beautiful titles on 360. The gameplay is fast and involves the main char doing all weird acrobatics, climbing, etc. All in first person.

message 19: by Nordlys (last edited Jun 05, 2013 02:31AM) (new)

Nordlys | 15 comments I loved the first Bioshock game! I thought it was awesome, and I loved all the extra information on the city and its people, and what happened there, that you could pick up if you felt like exploring more (like I always do in games). I haven't played the second one, and I won't as it seems too similar to the first one. I am really excited about playing infinite though.

I never got around to play the fallout series, but I have really wanted to, they sound really good.

The first Resident Evil games were good, but the last two have been absolutely horrible in my opinion. I only played one of the story modes in RE6, but my gosh what a dumb game! What happened!?

@Miranda, if you enjoy horror games, surely you've played the first Silent Hill games, right?

And I was going to mention Dishonored, but you beat me to it. I loved that game too, the whole feel of the game is very dark, the areas are great, and I liked the gameplay.

Mirror's edge was great, although some of the gameplay I wasn't too fond of. A sequel is still in the talks I think?

Now, Chrono Trigger wasn't a wholly dystopian games, but one of the eras one could visit really is, and it was all the more creepy I think, as you saw what the area was like before and after the dystopian era started. For those who haven't played it, in Chrono Trigger you use Time Travel to stop a great evil, and you travel back to the stone age, and to the far future, and everything in between.

And come on, let's not forget to mention Final Fantasy VII :D

At the moment I am playing Half-Life 2 (yeah, behind on my gaming as well as my reading).

This is an awesome topic by the way!

message 20: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments I tried Mirrors Edge but gave up quick after. I didn't like the controls and got board.
I haven't played either of these two new games, (I don't even think "The Last Of Us" is even out yet) and I don't know much about them but they look dystopian. Anyone know anything about them?

Metro Last Light - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpYASi...

The Last Of Us - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLGxub...

message 21: by Adam (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments Nordlys: I agree about Mirror's Edge. Sometimes the character would jump on stuff that just wasn't really where it should be. Some things were more difficult than they needed to be, too. But I can't wait for the sequel. It says 2013 on the website. we'll see. :) I love FF & Chrono Trigger! Last of Us looks fantastic, never seen it before.

Along the same lines as Grand Theft Auto (warning: mature title), Watch Dogs looks absolutely amazing. May be coming on the X-Box One. Features a future Chicago controlled by a supercomputer network. The main character is a fighter/hacker type that can interface with the systems, change traffic lights (causing an actual realistic accident), etc. [Website | Wiki]
Quantum Break - Anyone know if this will be somewhat dystopian? [Trailer from XB1 Launch]

message 22: by Nordlys (new)

Nordlys | 15 comments The last of us got awesome reviews everywhere! At least from what I've seen. I am really intrigued, and have put it on my to-play list:)
It takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where a fungus has killed off most humans, while leaving some infected running around aiming to spread the fungus. You control Joel who has promised a friend to bring the 14-year old Ellie away from the harsh military regime and across the country to a rebellion group. Apparantly the story-telling is amazing, so not just "another zombie game".

Metro last light is a post-apocalyptic game as well, but I don't know much about it. It is a sequel to Metro 2033, but I haven't played that...

Adam: Me too, I am excited about the sequel. And maybe they fix some of the annoying things so that the sequel will be more fun to play:D I never trust the set deadlines though, they always postpone them. Fingers crossed though!

I know very little of quantum break, there isn't much info out there yet I think. Apparently they are making a tv series as well, and the show and the game affect each other?

message 23: by Adam (last edited Jun 08, 2013 09:59AM) (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments Wow, I didn't know they were making a Quantum Break television show. Looks like it'll be interesting.

Remember Me - Cyberpunk set in Paris, primarily looks like an action game, new and cool looking. Not as dark and gritty as the new Cyberpunk 2077, which I prefer, but still worth a look. [About | Trailer]

message 24: by Nordlys (new)

Nordlys | 15 comments Ah yes, Remember me also looks very interesting.

message 25: by Adam (last edited Jun 10, 2013 06:52PM) (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments Another...
Tom Clancy's The Division - 3d person, over the shoulder shooter in which the U.S. is devastated. Terrorists run rampant... and, given that I've said a bunch of buzz words, there's probably a senior analyst in some dark room laughing at this post as I type it. :( I'll shut up and let you take a look at it now. See: here.

Mirror's Edge 2 Announced by IGN - features a vid on here... looks interesting, check here.

message 26: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (somecrazygingerkid) | 0 comments @ Nordlys: YES ive played all of the silent hills. im big into the whole horror gaming etc
and I agree I haven't completed the re6 but so far it lacking compared to the other then again I wasn't really a big fan of re5 =/

message 27: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (somecrazygingerkid) | 0 comments The last of us. OMG I saw the trailer a few days ago and about died I was so excited. just to be let down its not out yet. all my gaming is massively interfering with my reading again. some how need to balance the two >.<

message 28: by Nordlys (last edited Jun 16, 2013 11:24AM) (new)

Nordlys | 15 comments Miranda wrote: "The last of us. OMG I saw the trailer a few days ago and about died I was so excited. just to be let down its not out yet. all my gaming is massively interfering with my reading again. some how nee..."

Miranda wrote: "@ Nordlys: YES ive played all of the silent hills. im big into the whole horror gaming etc
and I agree I haven't completed the re6 but so far it lacking compared to the other then again I wasn't re..."

Silent Hill is brilliant:) And I agree, RE5 wasn't good either. But the game had a DLC called Lost in Nightmares, did you play that? Because that was really good, really reminded me of the original Resident Evil.

And yeah, the last of us looks amazing! Can't wait to play. And I am the same, reading interferes with my playing, and playing interferes with my reading, haha:P I have a backlog for both activities.

So what are you guys playing at the moment?

message 29: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (somecrazygingerkid) | 0 comments no don't think I played lost in nightmares. will have to look into that.
Currently working on that last bit of final fantasy X. after that who knows.

message 30: by Nordlys (new)

Nordlys | 15 comments Miranda wrote: "no don't think I played lost in nightmares. will have to look into that.
Currently working on that last bit of final fantasy X. after that who knows."

Ah, that's a good game too:) I just started playing the newest Tomb Raider.

message 31: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (somecrazygingerkid) | 0 comments still haven't picked that one up, its on the list lol
im a bit behind "newer" games. recently quit WoW ( again lol) so im working my way back onto console games.

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) I used to be a big gamer, but lately I haven't been playing video games that often. I think I will start again, there is so many great ones out there.

message 33: by Nordlys (new)

Nordlys | 15 comments You should Miranda, so far it's great:) I'm behind on newer games as well, the only reason I am playing this so soon is because my friend lend it to me, and I need to give it back soon. I never started WoW though, as I knew I would get addicted:P Trying to stay clear of all MMO's.

*Ms.Jackie* - You really should, there are so many amazing ones out there! Do you have any consoles or would it be for a computer?

message 34: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (somecrazygingerkid) | 0 comments MMOs the addiction of the century lol
I'm goin to finish up Ffx then work on neir since I never did finish it

message 35: by Sarah Nicole (last edited Oct 01, 2013 04:15PM) (new)

Sarah Nicole I can't believe nobody mentioned killzone... I guess I'm the only one that plays it and is going nuts waiting for the new killzone 4 coming out on the new ps4... Or watchdogs looks very very good...