The Liberal Politics & Current Events Book Club discussion

oppression / discrimination > China denounces America’s treatment of Afro-descendants

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

In a scathing report issued by China’s Information Office of the State Council, China condemned America’s treatment of its Afro-descendants and other minorities and cited America’s numerous human rights violations against its minorities.

http://sfbayview.com/2011/china-denou...

message 2: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy Why didn't you use the phrase "without irony" in this title?

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 03, 2013 08:26PM) (new)

I didn't?

Edit:
Are you referring to that article about the State Department denouncing Turkey's treatment of protestors?

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

If so, the title was copy/pasted from and explained by the article.

message 4: by Naomi V (new)

Naomi V (naomi_v) | 432 comments they have a point, but this is another of those kettle/pot situations

message 5: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy I understand now, Donegal. I think it would help if you put quotes around comments from elsewhere.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Naomi wrote: "they have a point, but this is another of those kettle/pot situations"

I think this is more the kettle calling out the pot on calling the kettle black. Our government makes denouncements of human rights in other nations but is happy to commit its own.

message 7: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Stoklasa (victoriastoklasa) | 8 comments Well, has the situation changed since this article was published two years ago?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Not that I can think of. We still have Gitmo and drone attacks, and this article was published before the violence against the Occupy protests.

message 9: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Stoklasa (victoriastoklasa) | 8 comments I find this interesting, since I currently live and work in China. I talk with my students quite a bit about politics, activism, and so on. No one has brought this up. Of course, it could be that these particular students are just not interested in it.