The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.17 -- Lindsey IL’s Task: Metal!

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jun 04, 2013 07:04AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10633 comments Mod
25.17 -- Lindsey IL’s Task: Metal!
With the century of music we are reading through with the 5 point tasks, I figured it would be a great time to introduce you to one of my favorite music genres - metal! Read more about metal: (view spoiler)

Please read two books from two different options, OR read one book from one option that is 750+ pages.

1. Power - Power metal is characterized by upbeat, high-energy, over-the-topness. It can be quite uplifting; it makes you feel like you can conquer the world, which is why it often is paired with the questing hero/ine of traditional fantasy. More about power metal: (view spoiler)

➜ Read a book with the genre High Fantasy, Epic, or Epic Fantasy on its main page -OR- read a book with a word from one of my favorite band names in the title or subtitle: Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Seven Kingdoms, Wuthering Heights, Secret Sphere. Band names may be split apart (i.e., you may use "Blind" or "Guardian"). Plurals/singulars and possessives will work, but no other variations. Seven my be spelled out or it may be in numerical form (7) but it must be seven, not 7th or part of a larger number (i.e., 17). Required: If using the word option, state the word used when you post.

2. Folk - Folk metal is a broad genre that draws on elements of folk music. The lyrics are often based on mythology and ancient religions, most popularly those of the Norse and Celtic varieties. But some folk metal has more of a Middle Eastern flavor to it, drawing from Arabic and Jewish folk music. More about Folk metal: (view spoiler)

➜ Read a nonfiction book with the genre mythology, folklore, or religion on its main page -OR- read a fiction or nonfiction book set in Israel or an Arabic country. For the purposes of this task, we'll use these: Arab Countries

3. Gothic - Typically has a haunting, dark, and mysterious atmosphere and almost always has keyboards and/or strings and usually melodic female vocals (sometimes paired with harsh male vocals to create what is called "beauty and the beast" vocals). One of my favorite gothic metal bands was inspired by Shakespeare. More about gothic metal: (view spoiler)

➜ Read a book by Shakespeare or based on one of his works (must be obvious from GR description; otherwise provide proof) -OR- read a book with the genre gothic, horror, or fairy tales on the book’s main page.

4. Melodic death - Melodic death has the typical fast, aggressive, driving guitars that define most metal but has - you guessed it - much more melody in the guitars (and keyboards in some bands) during the entire song instead of just a constant, rhythmic in-your-face blast. This particular genre was born in Gothenburg, Sweden. More about melodic death metal: (view spoiler)

➜ Read a book by a Swedish author (native or someone who now lives there) -OR- read a book set in a Nordic country. For the purposes of this task, we will use these: Nordic Countries

5. Symphonic - Standard metal instruments with symphonic orchestrations on top, sometimes very elaborate like classical music and often including operatic vocals. Symphonic metal bands usually have album covers that are visually appealing. More about symphonic metal: (view spoiler)

➜ Using this list of several of my favorite albums - http://rateyourmusic.com/list/illumin... - read a book with a word in the title or subtitle that matches a word of 5 or more letters in an album title or band name on the list -OR- read a book with a cover that you find visually appealing. If using the word in the title option, the word must match exactly. Required: State the word used when you post.

6. Doom - Last but not least, my favorite sub-genre. It has many variations which I won’t go into here. My favorite sub-sub-genres are usually very atmospheric and have a lot of overlap with gothic metal. More about doom metal: (view spoiler)

➜ Read a book with poetry AND romance, dark, or death listed as genres on its main page -OR- read a book whose title or subtitle contains a word from the name of one of my favorite bands: My Dying Bride, Funeral, While Heaven Wept, Virgin Black, Lonesome October. Plurals and possessives will work, but no other variations. Required: If using the word option, state the word used when you post.

REQUIRED: Post which option(s) you chose, include any required information, and explain how your book fits the task if it is not obvious from the Goodreads description. If using a cover option, include the cover when you post.

OPTIONAL: Listen to the examples provided for your options while reading (click on "view spoiler" for access to the links).

message 2: by Lindsey (last edited Jun 16, 2013 11:51AM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Approved books

A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin Dust of Dreams (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9) by Steven Erikson (option 1,5) - 750+ pages
Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth, #2) by Terry Goodkind Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy #1) by Jacqueline Carey House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4) by Steven Erikson The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1) by Brent Weeks (option 1) - 750+ pages
The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1) by M. Edward McNally The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1) by Peter V. Brett (option 1)
Fortune's Fool (Five Hundred Kingdoms, #3) by Mercedes Lackey The Shakespeare Curse (Kate Stanley, #2) by Jennifer Lee Carrell A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1) by Eloisa James (option 3)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (option 4)
Maya by Jostein Gaarder (option 5)
Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow (option 6)

message 3: by Lindsey (last edited Jun 04, 2013 12:56PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Books that don't work

Maya by Jostein Gaarder (option 4)

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10633 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Great task. Perfect place to fit A Dance With Dragons

message 6: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Yay :) I made the 750+ page 1 book option specifically for people who wanted to fit in those looong high/epic fantasy books like A Dance with Dragons.

message 7: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Can I have Dust of Dreams (816 pages) approved for the 1 book option, Lindsay? I don't think Epic Fantasy will slip off the main page, but I wanted to be covered, just in case. It also works for Option 5 - the common word is Dreams with Lunatica's Fables and Dreams.

message 8: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Sure!
Any single book of 750+ pages will work for the one-book option as long as it fits somewhere among the 6 options. So even if Epic Fantasy went away, you'd still be covered with Option 5.

message 9: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (aleksandrakonwa) | 777 comments Can I read Maya by Jostein Gaarder for option 4? He is Norwegian but book is set in nordic country.

message 10: by Lindsey (last edited Jun 04, 2013 12:52PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Yep! As long as it's set in Norway or another Nordic country, then it'll work.

EDIT: See next post please.

message 11: by Lindsey (last edited Jun 04, 2013 12:52PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Can I read Maya by Jostein Gaarder for option 4? He is Norwegian but book is set in nordic country."

Actually, I just looked at the description, and it looks like it takes place in Fiji. Do you know if some of the book is set in a Nordic country? If at least half is, then it'll work. But if not, you could use this book for the visually appealing cover option (option 5).

message 12: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (chaitra_ganesh) | 520 comments Lindsey wrote: "Sure!
Any single book of 750+ pages will work for the one-book option as long as it fits somewhere among the 6 options. So even if Epic Fantasy went away, you'd still be covered with Option 5."

I totally glazed over the part where it says one huge book that fits ONE option. Thanks Lindsay! :)

message 13: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Hehe, you're welcome! There's tons of text with this task, so it's easy to miss some details!

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7452 comments Good chance to get back to the Kushiel series it looks like

message 15: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Ah yes, those are definitely high fantasy, and most of them are long enough to use for the one book option :)

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7452 comments Yep - book 2 is 680 pages ;)

message 17: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments And that's a short one for the series! :D Just a reminder that to use only one book for the task it has to be over 750 pages. I wouldn't want you to get through a huge book, just to realize you needed to read another :)

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7452 comments oh crap - must find a longer one, for some reason I had 500 pages in my head for the one book option...back to the drawing board

message 19: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Hehe, glad I said something. Sorry for the confusion. I think you were probably thinking of another 25 point task that is 1 book/500+ pages.

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7452 comments yeah, and mine is a 1 book 450, and there is another 1 book 400 page 25 pointer I think...lol!

message 21: by Bec (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) | 135 comments I'm nervous as, but I've put War & Peace as my one book option. Luckily my copy has a beautiful cover. I was stressing that I would end up reading War & Peace for a 5 point task, or something, so THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR THIS EPIC TASK.

message 22: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments May I have The Sable City okayed for 1. power epic fantasy looks likely to fall off the page.

I haven't decided on a second book yet.

Thanks

message 23: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (deja05) | 100 comments Would Sharp Teeth be good for option 6 - romance and poetry as genres?

message 24: by Lindsey (last edited Jun 04, 2013 06:04PM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Dee wrote: "yeah, and mine is a 1 book 450, and there is another 1 book 400 page 25 pointer I think...lol!"

No wonder you got confused, LOL :D

Bec wrote: "I'm nervous as, but I've put War & Peace as my one book option. Luckily my copy has a beautiful cover. I was stressing that I would end up reading War & Peace for a 5 point task, or something, so T..."

You're welcome!! :D Good luck with War & Peace! I would have hated to read that for a 5 point task too, hehehe.

Andrea wrote: "Would Sharp Teeth be good for option 6 - romance and poetry as genres?"

Yes! Approved for option 6.

Donna Jo wrote: "May I have The Sable City okayed for 1. power epic fantasy looks likely to fall off the page.

I haven't decided on a second book yet.

Thanks"

Yep! Approved for option 1.

message 25: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 765 comments Could I get Fortune's Fool approved for Opt 3 Gothic - Fairy tales on main page in case it falls off?

message 26: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments KSMary wrote: "Could I get Fortune's Fool approved for Opt 3 Gothic - Fairy tales on main page in case it falls off?"

Sure!

message 28: by Lindsey (last edited Jun 05, 2013 07:39AM) (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Hi Fiona, yes, those will both work!

message 29: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Thanks x

message 30: by Vi (new)

Vi | 185 comments Perfect place to fit House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4) by Steven Erikson for One-book option, Option 1.

message 31: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Awesome, I'll add that to the approved books post.

message 32: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 563 comments Can I get A Kiss at Midnight approved for option 3, fairy tales?

Thanks!

message 33: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Sure! I just read that one a few weeks ago - really good!

message 34: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 771 comments Will this work for option 1 (one book)? The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1) by Brent Weeks

message 35: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1091 comments I'm going to read...

Option 1: The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (Epic Fantasy)

Option 4: Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

message 36: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Valorie wrote: "Will this work for option 1 (one book)? The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1) by Brent Weeks"

Yep!

message 37: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments Claire wrote: "I'm going to read...

Option 1: The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (Epic Fantasy)

Option 4: Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist"

Sounds good!

message 38: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 853 comments Looks like I won't get to this task, but I wanted to thank you for the "metal" education, Lindsey. I followed your links and discovered some fascinating new music!

message 39: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (_lindsey_) | 395 comments So glad you enjoyed it, Ann! Thanks a lot :)