Indie Book Collective discussion

Help > Indie Authors: Need your opinions once again

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Warneke (last edited Jun 03, 2013 04:27PM) (new)

Warneke Reading (Warneke_Reading) | 19 comments Because several authors were kind enough to answer my previous questions, I wanted to thank them with more questions. You only have yourselves to blame! ;) Thanks for being so helpful.

Please give me your definitions, descriptions, and expectations of the following positions:

Editor

Proofreader

Beta-Reader

Reviewer

Copywriter

And is there such a thing as post-production tech, like someone who formats a book for e-publishing in different formats? If so, please describe.

Thanks again for your help!

message 2: by Francis (new)

Francis Franklin (francisjamesfranklin) | 34 comments 'Editor' is ambiguous, really. Here's a great article:
http://amandarooker.com/how-to-determ...

Also interesting - see Sections 5.4 & 5.6 here:
http://www.sfep.org.uk/pub/bestprac/c...

A beta-reader is someone who reads your novel non-professionally, points out problems, maybe, and suggests improvements.

A reviewer is someone who reads your novel and feels compelled to comment publicly.

A copywriter does the blurb for the novel, I guess...

message 3: by Warneke (new)

Warneke Reading (Warneke_Reading) | 19 comments Francis, thanks so much for your help!

message 4: by Kevis (last edited Jun 07, 2013 05:57PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 95 comments An Editor goes through your entire manuscript and helps you shape your book into a highly polished product. Contrary to popular belief, there are multiple phases to editing which includes:

-Substantive, Content, or Literary edit (the most intensive aspect of editing. Focuses on the narrative content of your book and deals with plot and character development, prose, pacing, voice, style, Point-of-view, etc.)

-Copy Edit (focuses primarily on removing textual errors from the book such as misspelling, improper punctuation, grammar, and syntax.)

-Proofreading (a final pass to check your book for any lingering errors like formatting issues and typos before it goes to publication).

When hiring an editor, it's best to ask what services they perform. Don't assume that the editor will perform all three editing tasks. In fact, most amateur editors have no idea what it takes to edit a book. So be careful with who you hire to edit your work.

As to your other questions:

A Typesetter is a person who prepares your book for print.

A Formatter is the person who prepares your electronic book for sale. This includes Print-On-Demand books as well.

Hope you find my explanations helpful!

message 5: by Warneke (new)

Warneke Reading (Warneke_Reading) | 19 comments VERY helpful, Kevis, Thanks very much!