English Translations of Scandinavian/Nordic Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Group read-alongs > June 2013 read-along

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jun 04, 2013 06:23PM) (new)

Ken Fredette (klfredette) | 4227 comments Mod
This month the read-alongs are Anne Holt and Camilla Grebe & Åsa Träff, both books aren't sold until the 18th so read any book by them. By the way I'm back people. I did look and Jussi Adler-Olsen should be included in June.

message 2: by Susan (last edited Jun 04, 2013 12:56PM) (new)

Susan (susanthomas) I've missed your updates, comments, etc. Glad you're back, and thanks for posting this info. I'll be reading Blind Goddess since I haven't read any of her books. Thought it wise to begin at the beginning.

message 3: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (andraf) | 5 comments I've also started Blind Goddess since I haven't read any of her books yet.

message 4: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jun 07, 2013 07:46AM) (new)

She's published many books out of order. I've read them as they came and would have liked to read them in order also, 1222 comes to mind. I would like to read the book before it. In 1222 she's in a wheelchair, so my mind says ......

message 5: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (last edited Jun 17, 2013 01:18PM) (new)

Waiting for the library to get A Conspiracy of Faith by Jussi Adler-Olsen. They've been unusually fast up till now. Just put in they're new system, you check out you're own books. The books that you request are outside in the area check out the books. It's faster, but I miss saying hi to the Liberians. Just checked and it's in transit.

message 6: by Susan (last edited Jun 18, 2013 05:57AM) (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Finished Anne Holt's Blind Goddesslast week and really liked it. I saw it as more of an ensemble group of characters rather than being driven by the series' namesake. It made for a more interesting story to have several points of focus. I will be coming back to this author in the future!

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Kenneth wrote: "Waiting for the library to get A Conspiracy of Faith by Jussi Adler-Olsen. They've been unusually fast up till now. Just put in they're new system, you check out you're own books. The books that..."

I have this on my Kindle but alas I have to wait a while to read it...lots of other books have to come before it!

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Bodem | 1 comments Kenneth wrote: "Waiting for the library to get A Conspiracy of Faith by Jussi Adler-Olsen. They've been unusually fast up till now. Just put in they're new system, you check out you're own books. The books that..."

It is worth the wait! I enjoyed it immensely - my favorite in the series thus far!

message 9: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

Was is worth the wait, a resounding yes. I must say that there was a lot of killing in this book. A lot like in the U.S. now. Assad and Rose were wonderful as people to work with. It would have been impossible without Assad. Jussi has a good perception on how people work together. He has another translator.

message 10: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sharon | 2420 comments Mod
Kenneth wrote: "Was is worth the wait, a resounding yes. I must say that there was a lot of killing in this book. A lot like in the U.S. now. Assad and Rose were wonderful as people to work with. It would have..."

Have Redemption ....same book, downloaded will get started. Not keen to hear of the killing....

message 11: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I just finished Henning Mankell's A Treacherous Paradise and kept reading it to see how he described Hanna and all her adventures. It was very believable. This was not a mystery but of life as people knew it back in the early 1900"s.

message 12: by Sharon, Moderator (Netherlands) (new)

Sharon | 2420 comments Mod
Kenneth wrote: "I just finished Henning Mankell's A Treacherous Paradise and kept reading it to see how he described Hanna and all her adventures. It was very believable. This was not a mystery but of life as p..."

See that was where I really had issues...believability...not in the story, which IMO was good and apparently built up by the writer from a thought to be brief detailed true story in the area. But where my issues lie are with this very simple girl from a pure country poor environment in quick stages that would be no more than 3-4 years, teaches herself to read and write, enough she even starts keeping a diary....then language skills, business comes naturally when given the chance....dress easy....social skills....these things do not come that easy in life. She grew up pure country with little exposure and education. To me, the story was excellent but read like a girlie dream book when it came to the female main character. Was this due to male writing female....

message 13: by Ken, Moderator (U.S.A.) (new)

I guess I read it from a male perspective. Hanna was not a good reader or speller, she learned with Berta. I asume it took awhile. She learns some Portuguese but not all, to get by. Remember she has to have people repeat themselves in order to understand. I don't think Mankell went into how she dress in any detail. My take was it not bad from the male perspective.

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryschumacher) | 26 comments Sharon wrote: "To me, the story was excellent but read like a girlie dream book when it came to the female main character. "

I felt the story was good but that the female character lacked depth. The book never gave me enough information about her inner thoughts to make me care about her. I would have liked to know more about her inner journey.