The Robin Hobb Collection discussion

The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)
This topic is about The Mad Ship
Book 5 - The Mad Ship > The Mad Ship > Chapter Twenty Six to Thirty

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hanne (hanne2) | 791 comments Mod
ch26 - a lot happening here

i like the agreement for Malta to present herself by her own. even if her reason was especially to avoid the shame of walking next to Davad, i like it. it'll show them, and i'm sure Malta will stand tall

the news of ringsgold delay is circling already. weird that paragon is the only one really worried about that, thinking about pirates, and yes, serpents.
also looks like the rainwild traders know an awful lot of what is happening in bingtown, which cannot be said the other way round

reyn talking about this other city, almost near the Mountain Kingdom was interesting too, would that be the city Fitz visited?

Jani and bendir deciding to chop the last log while reyn is in bingtown is quite cruel, but i understand. unleashing an animal like that - is that an ally or an enemy. i wouldn't free it.

i'm glad they finally spoke about restoring Paragon's eyesight. i had been wondering about that options since amber cured ophelia's hands. it would be cool to have that happen. paragon isn't the trusting sort of ship (i never thought i'd use a phrase like that), and going blind into the sea would be quite scary.

ch 27 - kennit... i'm not quite sure what to make of him. i liked him in the beginning, but that is fading quickly.
his treatment of vivacia is quite maddening, the poor girl!

i did have to laugh when etta went to wintrow's room to teach him the ways of the world... by learning him how to fight :D
good girl!

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "reyn talking about this other city, almost near the Mountain Kingdom was interesting too, would that be the city Fitz visited?"

I was just thinking that too! I'll need to check out a map.

Hanne wrote: "Jani and bendir deciding to chop the last log while reyn is in bingtown is quite cruel, but i understand. unleashing an animal like that - is that an ally or an enemy. i wouldn't free it."

Reyn isn't going to be happy when he finds out

message 4: by David Sven (last edited Jun 04, 2013 02:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "i did have to laugh when etta went to wintrow's room to teach him the ways of the world... by learning him how to fight :D "

Obviously Kennit is not making himself clear enough :)

And Ch28 was interesting with that encounter with the two dragons in her trance.

Choose a death, a dragon whispered. That's all you have left, pretty little one.. The choice of your death.
No! She is mine, mine! Let her go!
Prey belongs to he who seizes it first!
You are dead. I have still a chance at life. I will not see it snatched from me!

I take this to be an argument between the serpent/dragon that Paragon remembers and the one inside the last wizardwood log that has been asking Malta and Reyn to free her.

So this seems to indicate that Paragon has some memory of his past serpent/dragon form. Maybe this is why he half mad. Maybe he had an encounter with the serpents like Ringsgold and he remembered his past life.

Especially when he comes out with

“I was a king!” He was incredulous in his triumph. “I was lord of the three dominions. But you have made me this. A shell, a toy, a slave!”

ch 28 - yes it looks like reyn didn't do malta any favours in that last dream. she's connected to the log now, and apparently every other remaining serpent hidden in the liveships.

paragon is interesting, the rain wild traders blame the fact that he was "mixed plank", so he doesn't have one, but two sleeping serpent brains inside him. it might explain some of his shizophrenic behaviour!

plus, the thing happened with his crew, he will have sailed without anyone, we know vivacia started remember weird things when wintrow wasn't around. if at that point he came across some serpents, god knows what happened. he definitely sounds terrified of pirates and serpetns.

i also wondered in this chapter whether amber is keeping an eye on the right Vestrit, maybe malta has an even bigger role to play?

ch 29 - so bingtown is preparing for a fight, and rightly so if you hear how many additional ships have joined satrap's fleet. who are these chalcedeans anyway??
i was surprised at their reaction seeing the liveships. don't the liveships sail to jamailla? you'd think they'd seen one before, no?

reyn seems to be having similar issues as malta, maybe even stronger. question is what happens if they chop the log? will those voices remain, or are they linked to the cocoon still existing.

ch 30 - amber to althea: "i'm wondering why you aren't a nine-fingered slave boy"
so we have wintrow, malta and althea being important katalysts here, it definitely seems to run in the vestrit family...

also wondering about this circle that kennit's charm keeps talking about: a pirate captain, a liveship for the taking, a burned town, a captive boy...
was this previously tried? Igrot got close to this if we assume he was the pirate who had Paragon years ago. except perhaps that they lost the ludluck boy...
"it was destined for you, years ago, when you chose to follow in Igrot's footsteps."

strange...

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "paragon is interesting, the rain wild traders blame the fact that he was "mixed plank", so he doesn't have one, but two sleeping serpent brains inside him. it might explain some of his shizophrenic behaviour!"

I missed that. I was thinking missed plank was mixing normal planks in the build. That does make sense.

Also interesting that Reyn is also able to sense the dragon memories in the Kendry. And they aren't very pleasant thoughts.

Also Paragon mentions he was lord of the "three dominions" - while the Kendry mentions he was a lord of three kingdoms.

no, those serpents inside the liveships sound everything but dead. maybe paragon and kendry share some wood from the same one? sounds weird that there would be two lord of three dominions/kingdoms?

now the rest of chapter 30 - i was convined i had finished the chapter when boarding the plan, but i just found out i only read half of it.

so Kennit is back in Divvytown and gets blamed for what happens, he better be glad he took Wintrow with him when they went off the ship, i think that boy just saved his life, and his reputation (hard to guess which one means most to Kennit)

going back on the mixed plank, it doesn't actually say it, it just says
"He should never have been built from mixed plank, but even so, the Ludlucks have a heavier share of the blame" (...) "Our greed built that ship too swiftly..."

it doesn't say it came from two logs, but that's how i interpreted it. it could be that it's wizardwood and some others, but the outside would have to be wizardwood or it couldn't stand the acids of the rain wild river.

i thought because they had to be swift, they might have taken remains from another ship and combined or something

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "no, those serpents inside the liveships sound everything but dead. maybe paragon and kendry share some wood from the same one? sounds weird that there would be two lord of three dominions/kingdoms?..."

Well I still think they are memories or intelligences that will never become dragons except for the one still left in the elderkind city. And it might be a little difficult to kill her now that she started that tremor and caved in some of the tunnels.

Also paragon says he was THE lord - while the one in Kendry says he was A lord. Maybe each kingdonm had a high lord and then there was a lord over all of them again?

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Hanne wrote: "it doesn't say it came from two logs, but that's how i interpreted it. it could be that it's wizardwood and some others, but the outside would have to be wizardwood or it couldn't stand the acids of the rain wild river."

That could be right too. Wizardwood is harder to carve I think, so if they were in a hurry they may have cheated a bit.

message 13: by Hanne (last edited Jun 04, 2013 12:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

aha - i don't catch differences between 'a' en 'the'. it's well know i don't have an eye for details ;)

regarding the mixed plank, we'll have to wait and see what is correct... i wish i could recall what amber said about paragon while she was playing carpenter on his deck, and compare that versus what althea said about vivaciam, but that would be too much research for now, i guess we'll find out later

message 14: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments Hanne wrote: "ch 29 - so bingtown is preparing for a fight, and rightly so if you hear how many additional ships have joined satrap's fleet. who are these chalcedeans anyway??"

If you recall, the Chalcedeans where the ones who enslaved Burrich's ancenstors (grandmother?). The earring that Fitz has is the proof of the freedom they bought.

They share a border with Bingtown and with the 7 duchies. They 7 duchies have a lot of border skirmishes with them.

message 15: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments Hanne wrote: "ch 30 - amber to althea: "i'm wondering why you aren't a nine-fingered slave boy"
so we have wintrow, malta and althea being important katalysts here, it definitely seems to run in the vestrit fami..."

Interesting choice of words..

message 16: by David Sven (last edited Jun 05, 2013 05:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Rob wrote: "Hanne wrote: "ch 30 - amber to althea: "i'm wondering why you aren't a nine-fingered slave boy"
so we have wintrow, malta and althea being important katalysts here, it definitely seems to run in th..."

Well she's still got to meet the ninefingered wintrow. Or The Bloody Nine.

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments Amber seems to be playing the same role the Fool played in the Farseer Trilogy - looking for a Catalyst.

rob > yes, i used the word catalyst, because i couldn't recall the word Amber used herself. but i think this might fit too.

david > robin hobb seems to really like her mentor and catalyst characters yes. farseer and here again indeed. only the fool had an easier job, amber isn't sure yet who she's supposed to guide

Hudson (bostonrich) I thought it was interesting to note that three generations died on a ships deck not so much to bond with the ship, but to block out the memories of a dragon!!

yes, it's like the good old times with band recorders. you could only erase something by recording something else over it. but it doesn't always work brilliantly