HCPL's Online Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What We're Reading This Month > We ♥ June! (June 2013)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Wiley (amandawilk47) | 105 comments Share your thoughts on our June theme. What did you like (or not like) about your "June" titled book choice?

message 2: by Bessie, County Librarian (last edited Jun 17, 2013 12:13PM) (new)

Bessie Sullivan  (librarybabe) | 209 comments Mod
Of the June titles I had previously read Three Junes by Julia Glass. I was on a group trip to Cuba in 2009 and there was a woman on the trip exactly like a character in the first part of Three Junes, I had to read it again for that reason. For this month I read Saving June by Hannah Harrington, which I thought was a much better look about teen suicide than Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I also read The Summer After June by Ashley Warlick and felt it was a very realistic view of some of the irrational things people do when faced with real grief.

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Coles (ccoles) | 37 comments I also read Saving June by Hannah Harrington and Three Junes by Julia Glass. I much preferred the latter...so it is the book I will write about here.

Three Junes follows three third-person perspectives: the first, a man named Paul mourning the loss of his wife; the second, his son, Fenno, mourning the loss of his father; and finally Fern, an ex-lover of Fenno’s ex-lover.

Clearly, the characters – all very interesting, flawed individuals – are connected in ways that the reader only grows to truly understand as the plot progresses.

There were a couple things I really liked about this novel. It is had some great, varied settings: Scotland, New York’s Greenwich Village and Greece. I also liked that nothing about the book or its characters was nice and tidy. It is one of these realistic, character-driven, "slice of life" kind of novels that is just complex enough to keep the readers interest.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Wiley (amandawilk47) | 105 comments For this month I chose to read Saving June by Hannah Harrington. This young adult debut novel is about Harper, a girl who struggles in dealing with her older sister June’s suicide. After her sister’s funeral she decides to take off to California with her sister’s ashes, because her sister had always dreamed of living there, but was never able to even visit this state. Along for Harper’s journey are her best friend Laney, and Jake, a rather mysterious young man who was in some way connected to June before she died.

I think that Saving June did a good job of realistically portraying grief and teenage angst. However, sometimes the dialogue between the characters, and the progression of the storyline felt a little false to me. Also, though I felt that Harper was a realistic character, she wasn’t the most likeable person most of the time, and often acted without considering the feelings of others—case in point, she leaves for California with her sister’s ashes without consulting her parents in anyway—and on the whole her immaturity made her difficult to connect or empathize with.

However, I did enjoy many aspects of this novel, and especially liked the author’s incorporation of music into the plot.

message 5: by Maryann (new)

Maryann (maryann21) | 25 comments I also read Saving June. I liked the music in the book, but I think that is because I am an over 40 white girl. I did not think that the plot or dialogue held together very well in this book. The suicide of the sister is a complete mystery to me at the end of the book as at the beginning. There are some great road trip books, On the Road (Jack Kerouac) and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Hunter S Thompson). These books capture the something about being a rebel and angst and great road trip adventure.
Saving June did not work for me.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.