Old Books, New Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > 2013 June Poetry Contest- Book Titles

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (last edited Jun 04, 2013 11:05AM) (new)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments Hello again! Last months contest was very close, but in the end, since there were only two entries, I get to pick the theme again. I put a lot of thought into this theme and I think it will spark the interest of many of us. The theme is "Book Titles". You can pick a book title to write about, refer to one, a favorite quote from a book with a cool title, title your poem after a book, anything you want. I hope you enjoy this challenge.

Also, just for this month, I would be very interested in what book/title/thing you are referring to, so if you will post a link to the book you wrote about.

Rules
1. Your poem must have something to do with "Book Titles" even if it is in a very obscure way.

2. Your poem may be of any length.

3. Any inappropriate materiel (To be determined by me alone) will be disqualified and deleted without notice. (Although I will probably message you to chew you out later :D)

4. All poems must be posted in this thread.

5. You may only enter one poem though you may put up as many as you like.

6. All poems must be entered by June 28th.

7. All poems must have a title/name.

New Rule 8. You may NOT vote for your own poem. Show you are a good sport and find something you like in anothers poem and vote for them.

♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) This is one I promise I will do. Just life has been so busy for me it feels like sometimes I don't have any spare seconds in the day :p

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments No problem, I know what you mean. I usually write mine when I am really bored, it is rare one just comes to me, but the last few months I never seem to be bored! A blessing I am sure, but still, I can't write poems :D

♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) I just haven't been able to write one that makes sense lately haha just random words thrown together that I just hide ;)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments You could always post several short one :D I think two lines can be considered a poem.

♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) Not to me lol that's called a thought ;) I got something in mind for this month though :)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments Alright, I know I have no one to blame but myself, but this is really hard! All of my favorite book titles I am afraid to use because I don't want my rambling attempts at poetry to be associated with my beloved book!

♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) I know! I'm trying to work out whether I do a bit of a fanfic one using all my fav titles, or just a random one involving books and their titles somehow...

message 9: by Gene (new)

Gene (ewdupler) | 255 comments A Scrap of Kingly Horror

Pressing on Under the Dome of winter clouds,
accompanied by Needful Things I once called friends,
we trudged through the snow, bearing Misery as shrouds.
Only Christine brought matches - two left. They were Glen’s.

Desperation sets in, just as I thought it should
But the girl with The Eyes of the Dragon began to stir,
gathering some Firestarter and pulling flame from wood.
Her sister, Carrie would be so proud of her.

That is, if she wasn’t in The Dead Zone already,
for she set out in the snow From a Buick 8 and froze.
I’m praying for Insomnia, because sleeping here is deadly.
We need to march toward The Shining sun. We cannot doze.

We argue about reaching the Black House,
but they refuse to walk near the Pet Sematary.
The Stand happens - the fight as bad as with a spouse.
It may be the death of me but I pressed on alone, albeit scary.

Oh for The Green Mile instead of all this snow that causes moans
for it freezes The Tommyknockers as much as my ungloved hand.
Should you find this note next to my Bag of Bones,
let it be The Talisman that sees you through to Joyland.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments Wow great use of titles there Gene! I only recognize four titles so thanks for the links to all of them, or I might not have known they were books. The story with the titles is fantastic!

message 11: by Gene (new)

Gene (ewdupler) | 255 comments Thanks! I recently finished reading On Writing, which inspired me to pick Stephen King titles for each line of my poem. Combining Mr. King's writing advice with some poetic license, I put together the backdrop for a story as if I was going to try to emulate his style. Except in this case, it rhymes :)

Now that I broke the ice and threw my ramblings to paper (so to speak), and possibly offended an author that will write me into his next bestseller as a horrible blob who likes old books and poetry, it's your turns! I've seen many of you write and I'm looking forward to your awesome ideas.

♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) Here's mine! :)

The Title Of A Book

The title of a book
Is simply the beginning
The key to unlocking
Millions upon millions of worlds
All trapped within the pages of a book
Mere ink and paper
But given the breath of life
By the reader’s imagination

Whispers of the story
Are grafted into the spine of a book
Be it gold-leaf, raised print, or simple font
The method does not matter
Walk before the shelves
And titles jump out at you
Each one begging to be read
The pathway to an adventure

So readers if you dare
Listen to the call of the words
And open the pages of a world
Lived only through the covers of a book
And seen on the eyes of your mind
A thousand words worth the picture
A thousand lives lived in a moment
And it all starts with the title of a book

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments Wow Tabi! That is fantastic. Although not in poetic form, that is exactly how I feel about titles. They are so important and they speak of the adventures inside. I love the rhyming pattern and everything else about your poem. Great work!

♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) Thank you! And I tried to make it rhyme, it just didn't work, so I tried the pattern which is my fallback XD

message 15: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (last edited Jun 20, 2013 05:38PM) (new)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments All right all right, here is mine. I couldn't think of anything so I do what I always do when stumped, I fall back on my religion. I have few other ideas rattling around and I might enter one of those instead, but since I always say that and so far I never have, I don't see why I will this time.

A Gift

What title do I use?
Only one comes to mind.
But how to describe,
A book so sublime?

It is not your average story,
It is not a regular cast,
It's plot is something else,
I am pressed to find it's match.

The book has many covers,
And varies in size,
But the message is the same,
The wonderful message of life.

Have you caught on?
Do you know of what I speak?
The book sent from God himself,
About his greatest feat.

Gods explains about himself,
He tells of his beloved son.
The most miraculous story,
About the extraordinary work he has done.

The only holy book,
Given to a sinners not a few.
To show the righteous path,
And save his chosen, from a well deserved doom.

message 16: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (last edited Jun 26, 2013 01:09PM) (new)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments I can't believe it but I did come up with something else, I cannot decide which is worse.

Three Stories

What book can I write about?
There are so many I love.
Lets start simple,
Lets start with fun.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
So long and thanks for all the fish.
The Universe was a mistake,
And above all,
Don't panic!

What is next?
A book that changed my life?
Wow! What a cheesy line,
But it always lifted me high

The series of Redwall
Death comes to us all sooner or later.
Follow me to Redwall in Mossflower country.
And Hares go,
Wot Wot!!

And last but not least....
The book above them all.
Is a tale of such epicness...
It holds me enthralled.

The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings
Never laugh at live Dragons.
To whatever end!
All that is gold does not glitter.
And finished with,
The road goes ever on.

Three books I know well.
Quotes I often retell.
Wrapped in a poem,
For lands where I dwell.

message 17: by Gene (new)

Gene (ewdupler) | 255 comments I love both of these, Christa. My favorite poetry is the kind that reveals something about the author and there seems to be a lot about you peeking out of both of poems.

Writing about your faith is fantastic. I smiled when I realized that the title of the book in the first poem was The Bible, which comes from the Greek (biblia), which means "books". So the "Book Title" you wrote about was called "Books" :) I found this one to be enjoyable and you're right - it's certainly not an average story. It also has some of my favorite poems!

Your second poem excited me, too. Just this week I was talking about putting Hitchhiker's Guide on my to-read list. Earlier in the week, I added the first book of Redwall (you were reading my mind or something) and I simply LOVE the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (I was talking about the Hobbit with my son, earlier today!)

So, in reply to your statement about which is worse, the answer is clearly neither! Poetry is about making connections with people. You did so in an awesome way, letting other's have a glimpse into your life and into your heart.

Well done.

message 18: by Gene (new)

Gene (ewdupler) | 255 comments Tabi (Sherlockian; My Middle Name Is Eccentric) wrote: "Here's mine! :)

The Title Of A Book

The title of a book
Is simply the beginning
The key to unlocking
All trapped within the pages of a book
Mere ink and paper
But..."

Tabi, I love your imagery! Especially lines like "eyes of your mind" and "whispers of the story are grafted into the spine".

Your pattern is lovely and I was recently reminded by a friend - not all poetry is supposed to rhyme. Your poem was nicely done!

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments Thank you so much Gene, I love to get feed-back and yours is always so helpful. I am glad you liked them both.

And yes, I highly recommend "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", It is so much better than the movie, although the movie was great and they got as much in there are they could. But there is so much going on in the books. The funniest book I have ever read by far.

♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) Gene wrote: "Tabi (Sherlockian; My Middle Name Is Eccentric) wrote: "Here's mine! :)

The Title Of A Book

The title of a book
Is simply the beginning
The key to unlocking
All t..."

Thank you Gene! :) That poem is pretty much my "system" or "thoughts" I have whenever I walk into a library or bookstore, so many titles and so many stories! I just love it. ;)

♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) Christa, both your poems were beautiful! :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.