Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Book Reviews & Quotes > Give me a quote or give me Death......

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2801 comments Mod
.....well, a book off of the Death list, that is. What makes your book a "Death" book. Pick a quote that lets us know. Any good quote will do, but if you are stuck, a quote from page 46 is always good.

message 2: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments Haha! Your title.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2801 comments Mod
Thanks. I was thinking it might lighten things up a bit. I'm expecting some pretty heavy quotes this time. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Angel pg. 341

"So, why don't you stop fighting? Will and the others--"

"Would understand," Jem finished for her. "I know they would. But there is more to life than not dying. I am a Shadowhunter. It is what I am, not just what I do. I can't live without it."

"You mean you don't want to."

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1034 comments Quotes from Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson #3) by Darynda Jones

“An integral part of any best friend's job is to immediately clear your computer history if you die.”

“I chose the road less traveled. Now I'm lost.”

“You totally need to watch the news."
"Can't."
"Why?"
"It's too depressing."
"Right, because hanging with dead people isn't.”

“There are very few personal problems that can't be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.”

“Death comes to those who wait. And to those who don't. So either way…”

message 6: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4313 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Quotes from Third Grave Dead Ahead (Charley Davidson #3) by Darynda Jones

“An integral part of any best friend's job is to immediately clear your computer history if you die.”

“I chose the road less traveled. Now..."

Oh my goodness, I need to read this book!

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1034 comments Bea wrote: Oh my goodness, I need to read this book! "

It's book #3 in the series, Bea and they should be read in order because the storyline is ongoing from one book to the next. They are all really fun reads so its no hardship :0)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Bea, I was thinking the same thing! Lauren, those are some great quotes -- I'll be checking out Book 1!

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) So far I've read all of the Charley Davidson books. I think the next in the series is released this month or next.

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1034 comments Julia wrote: "So far I've read all of the Charley Davidson books. I think the next in the series is released this month or next."

Yeah, it comes out in July.

message 11: by D.G. (last edited Jun 12, 2013 05:56AM) (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments This is not a quote about death but my favorite in the book: Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry

"Growing up means making tough choices, and doing the right thing doesn't necessarily mean doing the thing that feels good."

message 12: by Susan (last edited Jun 13, 2013 07:28AM) (new)

Susan | 3377 comments Mod
My favorite quote in the book The Fault in Our Stars is this, from p. 187: "You wrongly assume that I need to hear your question in order to answer it." Wonder if that will work with my family :)

Something in the author's note really resonated with me, as well: "Neither novels nor their readers benefit from attempts to divine whether any facts hide inside a story. Such efforts attack the very idea that made-up stories can matter, which is sort of the foundational assumption of our species."

message 13: by Susan (last edited Jun 13, 2013 07:33AM) (new)

from Gone Girl, p. 46:

In Missouri ... good God, I really didn't know. It only occurred to me just then. You truly are an asshole, I thought. Two years we'd been here, and after the initial flurry of meet-and-greets, those manic first months, Amy had no one she regularly saw. She had my mom, who was now dead, and me -- and our main form of conversation was attack and rebuttal.

message 14: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8335 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "Something in the author's note really resonated with me, as well: "Neither novels nor their readers benefit from attempts to divine whether any facts hide inside a story. Such efforts attack the very idea that made-up stories can matter, which is sort of the foundational assumption of our species.""

Hah! And I've just had that type of thought this morning as I finished Peace Love and Khaki Socks! I did stop that thought before too long. I enjoyed the story and it is realistic enough and that's that :p

message 15: by Susan (last edited Jun 24, 2013 01:08PM) (new)

From Ubik, p. 120:

"Take a look at this," Al said: he led Joe into the men's room and pointed at the far wall. "Graffiti," he said. "You know, words scrawled. Like you find all the time in the men's room. Read it."
In crayon, or purple ballpoint pen ink, the words read:

JUMP IN THE URINAL AND STAND ON YOUR HEAD.
I'M THE ONE THAT'S ALIVE. YOU'RE ALL DEAD.

"Is it Runciter's writing?" Al asked. "Do you recognize it?"
"Yes," Joe said, nodding. "It's Runciter's writing."
"So now we know the truth," Al said.
"Is it the truth?"
Al said, "Sure. Obviously."

I listened to the audio book of The Great Gatsby, so I can't thumb through the book for a quote. But I found a couple short ones on the GR quotes list that I think show Fitzgerald's beautiful way of painting a picture with words:

In his blue gardens men and girls came and went like moths among the whisperings and the champagne and the stars.

It was the kind of voice that the ear follows up and down, as if each speech is an arrangement of notes that will never be played again.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa O'Rourke | 46 comments “Death is the most sophisticated form of beauty, and the most difficult to accept.”
― Simon Van Booy, Everything Beautiful Began After

message 17: by Susan (new)

Oops. Forgot Jellicoe Road is on this shelf, too.

My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die.

I counted.

It happened on the Jellicoe Road. The prettiest road I’d ever seen, where trees made breezy canopies like a tunnel to Shangri-La. We were going to the ocean, hundreds of miles away, because I wanted to see the ocean and my father said that it was about time the four of us made that journey. I remember asking, 'What’s the difference between a trip and a journey?' and my father said, 'Narnie, my love, when we get there, you’ll understand,' and that was the last thing he ever said.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) From The Crow Road by the late Ian Banks

"It was the day my Grandmother exploded"

You have to love a book with that opening line.

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) "Books are safer than other people anyway"

From The Ocean at the End of the Lane.