Fantasy and Science Fiction: The Human Mind, Our Modern World - summer 2013 discussion

Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm
Week 01 - Grimm > Household Stories - when you are done

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bojana (bpop) This is a thread to discuss Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm after you are done reading it. This means that spoilers may not be marked. So beware of that :)

Sana (ofkittiesandbooks) Yes! I did it! Its nothing brilliant but its a huge step, completing the first assignment! Well, thats what i think. Specially, since i wasnt really enjoying the book! Anyways, best of luck to everyone for the assignment. It really is difficult but i think we can do this! :)

Sana (ofkittiesandbooks) simple writing is the best! Atleast that's what I feel because its something everyone understands! :)

Catherine (catjackson) I'm kinda glad this essay is over. I really didn't like these readings and found the essay hard to start. And, yes, my writing was a little more simple than I really wanted it to be, but I found it hard to concentrate on a theme or thesis because I didn't like the stories that much. I am glad, though, that I've had this experience. Writing about something I'm not enamored of was hard, but I think it was worth it. We'll see what the peer reviewers have to say. I AM excited about reading what others have to say.

message 5: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (demoncard) I finished the reading but I wasn't able to complete the essay because of location and lack of a computer. I plan on doing all of the rest. I like Grimm's Fairytales but my particular version the Barnes and Noble one, was really boring and colorless. It was the most sanitized version I've ever read, sadly.

Miriam (itmustbemiriam) Very relieved to have that essay over and done with. It's so difficult to create a well-developed essay with so few words!

message 7: by Rae (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rae (raerei) I ended up dancing around a topic all morning until I finally settled on a someone what bland essay basically detailing how the Mother Hulda story isn't a fairy tale, but a myth (since it details interactions with a god). I think I could have gone into much more detail and such if I had figured out my topic more than 30 minutes before the essay was due. But while I knew I wanted to talk about that story, I couldn't quite figure out what I wanted to say. Plus I ended up posting it mere seconds before the bell ticked over. At least I figured out what my next blog post will be on...the essay that wasn't. We'll see if I can make it better. Looking forward to the next book that's for sure.

Catherine (catjackson) Rae wrote: "I ended up dancing around a topic all morning until I finally settled on a someone what bland essay basically detailing how the Mother Hulda story isn't a fairy tale, but a myth (since it details i..."

Rae, I like that blog topic!! I've felt that way as we made our way through this unit.

Sana (ofkittiesandbooks) I am actually excited to see other people's essay and see how badly I have done. Lol. Also, what other people have to say about my essay!

Bojana (bpop) Well, I am finally about to wrap up with Unit 01. It has been a nice experience. Being able to hear what all of you thought about the book, as well as the reading and writing process for this course was even better. :)
So, here is my summary:
Favorite story - Brother and sister
Essay thesis - I argue that the brother and sister in the story are a representation of the dual nature of a person. The sister represents the rational part, and the brother the irrational
Peer essays - I found that 4/5 succeeded in answering the assignment. Two of them were particularly insightful and well written.

message 11: by Sana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sana (ofkittiesandbooks) wow..you are fast!

message 12: by Dale (new)

Dale Once people have their essays back (after evaluation), I wonder if it might be an interesting option to post them on a separate thread here? Although this will happen on the class discussion forum too, that could become completely overwhelming considering the numbers of students in class, lol. As there is a more manageable number of us here it could be more focussed and lead to a more helpful discussion. Just a thought.

Bojana (bpop) Dale wrote: "Once people have their essays back (after evaluation), I wonder if it might be an interesting option to post them on a separate thread here? Although this will happen on the class discussion forum..."
I think this is a great idea. I'll set up a thread after the evaluation phase is done. If it proves to be as success, we can continue doing the same with the other units.

Louise Taylor | 24 comments I finished my essay and have marked the five I was given. The quality was varied. One was a copy of Wikipedia and an article on the French Revolution. Another was an excellent essay on the symbolism in one of the stories.
I will be interested to see what my peers say about my essay which was about shoes.

Maria (marselegna) | 2 comments Dale wrote: "Once people have their essays back (after evaluation), I wonder if it might be an interesting option to post them on a separate thread here? Although this will happen on the class discussion forum..."

I find this is a good idea, we could also discuss the essay grading process. Grading is new to me and so far I've marked all essays submitted. I found a wide variety of levels and grades as well. It will be interesting to share views on this matter.

Bojana (bpop) Hello everyone. As discussed, I have started a thread on 'Essays, peer reviews and final thoughts' for unit 01. Feel free to check it out and post some of your work there.

Maria (marselegna) | 2 comments Hey Bojana, thanks for making the thread. I won't share my essay because it was a mess and marked accordingly, but look forward to sharing insights on marking and receiving feedback with an open mind.