Dorothy Parker Society Constant Reader Book Club discussion

Mrs. Parker's Books > 2nd Group Read

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Fitzpatrick (kevinfitzpatrick) | 29 comments Mod
Now taking nominations for the 2nd group read book. Make nominations below. When we get a few titles, we'll have a vote, with the aim being to start the next read on June 15.

Thanks!

message 2: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 4 comments Altho I didn't see much discussion, I did read "Complete Stories" cover to cover. Reading a bit of DP here and there is entertaining; I found reading an entire book left me with great angst. Had to have a highball myself ~
For a second suggestion "A House is Not a Home", Polly Adler's autobio. A bit of flipside to the intellectual milieu but nonetheless another of DP and Benchley's associations. I plan to read it anyway so just thought I'd add as a group suggestion.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Fitzpatrick (kevinfitzpatrick) | 29 comments Mod
Hi Patsy: I read Polly's book. I recommend it. It glosses over parts and she doesn't name names. But it's a good book and she has great stories. If you like it I recommend Sin in the Second City by Karen Abbott. It's about sisters who ran a Chicago brothel. Abbott is a fantastic writer and the story is told well. As for Polly, someone is working on a bio but I don't know much else.

message 4: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 4 comments Thanx, I'll read both, appreciate the feedback.