Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) Inferno discussion

What was the point?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patrick I enjoyed this book when I read it, but the ending and a few twists toward the end essentially ruined it for me. I don't want to give anything away, but I was wondering about other people's reactions to the ending and if they were as pissed as me?

I have a more elaborate (though somewhat slapped together) review here: http://patrickjmullen.blogspot.com/20...

Edwin I think the end was a bit disappointing. Not giving anything away, but.. I did expect something else from Brown and Langdon.

Patrick To me it wasn't so much that I expected something else, it's that the twist kind of made everything in that quite good first half pointless. But yes, I did expect something else, so at least it was unpredictable. Maybe that's a good thing, but probably not.

Christina Teilmann There was none. The end result would've been the same even if Robert Langdon hadn't been there. So utterly pointless.
I thought the topic of overpopulation and what's to be done about it was interesting though.

Uggy Higgins The ending is pretty lame, I agree. You go from high speed to turtle slow in no time at all.
The topic of overpopulation however, is a very interesting and believable concept but I didn't get the point why Langdon needed to "find" the source or why this Zobrist wanted it to get found.

message 6: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Cassese the only thing that made it a good ending was that Brown had the cojones to actually have the antagonist win. I just hated how excepting langdon was to it. I guess he had excepted the science

Shadie I agree the ending was lame ,what ever they did was pointless.

Clive Hendelson Save the world. And encourage instead of deterring the f*cking thing 'cause some are now infertile. :))

My review:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Emilie Edwin wrote: "I think the end was a bit disappointing. Not giving anything away, but.. I did expect something else from Brown and Langdon."
Really? Wasn't it a very classic Brown/Langdon-ending?

Emilie Christina wrote: "There was none. The end result would've been the same even if Robert Langdon hadn't been there. So utterly pointless.
I thought the topic of overpopulation and what's to be done about it was intere..."

Would you have known as much about Dante if you hadn't read the book? At least there was that educational factor to it, no?

Anirban Saha Seriously the end was pointless, the chase, the pace , suspense of the plot which makes u read the book is really pointless, rather useless once u end the book. infact you feel a bit cheated by the end of the book.

Emilie ALL BROWN'S BOOKS ARE LIKE THAT! *rage*

Joanne boring very boring. i think Im done reading his books. too much fluffy stuff I mean i love art and rome etc but think he went a little overboard this time. kinda read it before. over it

Raven Clock Already read The Divine Comedy years ago. So this didn't educate me at all. I think we can still live with 15 billion people anyway. Spread out the people. There will just be lesser rich people. Dan's point in overpopulation could've just been a research paper of 3 pages long.

But I guess the point was for (spoilers, SPOILERS INCOMING!!) Sienna to regret and cooperate with WHO

message 15: by J.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.P. McNeill No point. the topic of over population was done in "Plague Ship" by Clive Cussler over five years ago. The whole novel felt forced, unoriginal, and I feel like Langdon never needed to be there in the first place. I do suggest plague ship, at least it makes sense... I can't say the same for Inferno.

message 16: by Ece (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ece Demirel Sienna could have solve the problem all by herself. In the end there is no use of Robert at all. The people who died due to Robert and Sienna are just died because Sienne couldn't trust WHO. And in the end she suddenly began to trust them.

Rachel It didn't make sense. *SPOILERS*

Zobrist didn't release a plague, so why would he make a disturbing video and make people go on a ridiculous search using Dante's Inferno.

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Sanfilippo I loved the book but the ending was weird. How will the future generations be affected?

message 19: by Leonard (last edited Jul 24, 2013 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leonard Speck Much too much detail in discribing art, buildings and people not involved in the plot. the worst Dan Brown book ever.

Steve Green I agree with Leonard. The self-indulgent art history lessons actually distracted me and seemed to interrupt the flow of the story. Langdon is running for his life but sees a statue and goes off in his mind for a few paragraphs about the sculptor and where it came from and who owned it, etc. Really?

I did FREAK out a bit while reading it because my book was released at the same time, and had a very similar core problem and solution (genetically engineered virus, population control). Thankfully, he took a very different approach and my underlying themes were completely different. Check it out and see how you think it compares Broken Paradigm (NO, I'm not comparing myself to Dan Brown!)

Alanna Zobrists plague was a genetic modification of the human genome, that's makes a certain percentage of the population infertile - kind of like playing Russian roulette with human reproduction.

My question is this ... how is Brown going to ovecome THAT hurdle (of potential wordlwide infertility) in any future novels for Langdon. I mean, that's not something you really overlook, no?

Diksha Patrick wrote: "I enjoyed this book when I read it, but the ending and a few twists toward the end essentially ruined it for me. I don't want to give anything away, but I was wondering about other people's reactio..."

I was! It was simply blown towards the end. No energy, no excitement and not even logic!On the contrary I felt a little sad for Zobrist.
I enjoyed it because of scholarly Langdon.

Connie I found this book so underwhelming. Where in DaV C there were some interesting historical and scientific orts to keep you moving through the book (b/c let's face it character arc weren't going to do it!) here 90% orts are so much basic info found on any Science 101 or History 101 web page. Pls, don't jump all over me. I said 90%. And the end? oy. All the convolutions in the world can't hide the fact that the whole premise "megabillionaire geneticist creates and end of the world virus, jumps off a building but not before leaves a pile of arcane clues to where he's hid it!" whhhhhhat??? was jaw-droppingly absurd.

Autumn Shelley So glad I'm not alone. I thought it was just me who found the characters extra flat and the plot super-contrived. Whew! ;)