*~Can't Stop Reading~* discussion

In Cold Blood
This topic is about In Cold Blood
Past Reads > In Cold Blood

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kyle (new)

Kyle | 80 comments Mod
Discuss Truman Capote's classic true-crime work here!

Mimicha | 15 comments Starting it next week!

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 24 comments I started in on Audible yesterday; awesome book!!

message 4: by Bev (new)

Bev (greenginger) | 296 comments I really do not like Truman Capote. Will not be joining you as I have tried him on several occasions and just do not enjoy his writing.

message 5: by Robin (last edited Jun 07, 2013 12:15PM) (new)

Robin LMD I don't even know if I like Capote, it's just the subject matter. The book has sat on my bookshelf for years and my husband tells me it is a great book.... I just don't have the stomach for it right now. I'm into funnier fare. Maybe all of your reviews will convince me to read what I keep hearing is a terrific book.

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 24 comments I like how it is written - can't wait until my rides to/from work just so I can listen!

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin LMD Sandra wrote: "I like how it is written - can't wait until my rides to/from work just so I can listen!"

LOL -- Sounds like an excellent idea, except I have my children in the car with me on the way to school/work. We, too, love listening to audiobooks on the way. Right now we are plowing through the Falvia de Luce mysteries by Alan Bradley. Don't know what series we will turn to when we are through the last one!

Sunny (travellingsunny) I'm starting this one today, but I'm a little nervous about reading it. I hope it's not TOOOOOO disturbing.

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 24 comments I finished it two days ago; really liked it. Will now get the movie from Netflix.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin LMD Sunny in Wonderland wrote: "I'm starting this one today, but I'm a little nervous about reading it. I hope it's not TOOOOOO disturbing."

I keep checking in to see whether people do find it disturbing. I'll look forward to hearing your take.

message 11: by Sunny (last edited Jun 19, 2013 05:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sunny (travellingsunny) Robin wrote: "Sunny in Wonderland wrote: "I'm starting this one today, but I'm a little nervous about reading it. I hope it's not TOOOOOO disturbing."

I keep checking in to see whether people do find it distur..."

Ha! Well, I didn't get very far yesterday -- only about 10% of the book. So far, it's not too disturbing. (Of course, everyone is still alive...) There's the occasional reference that 'this' will be the last time that so-and-so does 'this'. As in, they're gonna die. But, it hasn't exactly been 'disturbing.'

Honestly, what I've gotten out of this so far is a newfound understanding of 'non-fiction.' I've given non-fiction a bum rap in my own mind thinking it would be boring. Textbook-ish. But, this is NOT textbook-ish. At least, not so far.

message 12: by Sunny (last edited Jun 20, 2013 10:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sunny (travellingsunny) About 30% through now, and man, this is good stuff! Not grotesque. Mildly disturbing, but not mentally traumatizing or anything. I keep googling pictures of the killers, and the family, and the detectives. It's actually sort of thrilling!

Is this really 'non-fiction', or a version of fiction? Whatever it is, I'm enjoying it!

Sunny (travellingsunny) 70% through. Man! This is good stuff! I'm completely engrossed in this story (still not sure how to classify it... non-fiction, maybe?) and it's definitely not too disturbing!

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 24 comments It is non-fiction.

Sunny (travellingsunny) Thanks, Sandra! It feels that way to me too, but it's on Boxall's 1001 Books to Read Before You Die list, which is supposed to consist of only fiction, I thought. Or, am I mistaken about that?

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 24 comments Hmm, don't know. But it's a true story, written from interviews and transcripts with the people involved.

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin LMD Maybe just "based on a true story" with a little creative license?

Sunny (travellingsunny) I think that's about right. Maybe the LIST isn't fiction, but 'novels?' That's gotta be what it is...

Sunny (travellingsunny) Finished, and I really enjoyed it! Here are some of the pictures I googled...

message 20: by Robin (new)

Robin LMD So, I see the very favourable reviews. Anybody out there find this book too disturbing and just stop reading? The book is on my shelf just waiting and I do find myself with a little time to read. Maybe...

Sunny (travellingsunny) Robin wrote: "So, I see the very favourable reviews. Anybody out there find this book too disturbing and just stop reading? The book is on my shelf just waiting and I do find myself with a little time to read. M..."

I was concerned about that too. But, it's really not disturbing. I think it may very well have been a smidge scary 40 years ago, but in today's day and age with all of the crime reports and shows on television, I guess we've become desensitized in some ways. I'm a scardey-cat, but was not scared at all. It's not gory or horrifically detailed about the deaths themselves.

message 22: by Robin (new)

Robin LMD Thanks. I laugh about my reluctance to pick up this book as I am a court tv / cnn junkie. I'll probably really like it, but for some reason this tale of human depravity gives me pause. Thanks for the review.

Sunny (travellingsunny) Oh, anything that is described on court tv / cnn is going to be as bad or worse than anything I read in this book. Seriously. If you're a junkie for investigative drama, you will thoroughly enjoy this one.