Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

Kissing the Witch: Old Tales in New Skins
This topic is about Kissing the Witch
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Kissing the Witch > Kissing the Witch - who's reading?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Odette | 316 comments Mod
Our June 2013 books is Kissing the Witch: Old Tales in New Skins by Emma Donoghue.

Who's reading?

David (davidofterra) | 8 comments I have my copy in hand but haven't started it yet.

message 3: by Ramona (new)

Ramona Gault | 84 comments I'm intrigued by the descriptions of this collection and I've ordered a used copy. Looking forward to it!

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary I'm waiting for my library copy to arrive but it's on its way!

message 5: by Xdyj (last edited Jun 03, 2013 01:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Xdyj | 5 comments Just ordered it & will get it in about a week.

Melanti | 114 comments Sadly, sometime in the last couple of months, my library got rid of its only copy.

Since it's one I think I'll really like, I've bought a copy online, and I'm hoping it gets here soon!

message 7: by Mir (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mir | 15 comments Read it a couple years ago and think I recall most of the stories well enough to discuss.

Odette | 316 comments Mod
I read it a while back & liked it a lot. I remember there was something about the story endings leading to the next story that worked well.

My library has one copy. It's not available until June 20th, but I'll see if I can get it for a reread.

message 9: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 132 comments My library has a copy! I have ordered it!

Michelle (fireweaver) | 65 comments yup, my library has this one, too, and it's on hold for me now!

message 11: by Xdyj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Xdyj | 5 comments Just got it & read it.

Melanti | 114 comments I finally got around to reading this yesterday and really enjoyed it.

I thought the way the "villain" in each story was the hero of the next was really clever -- especially on the ones where there was a common thread between the two characters.

message 13: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 132 comments Good to know! I am still waiting.......

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary I only managed to read about half of the book. I liked it but when I put it down, I didn't feel compelled to pick it back up. While I too enjoyed the way the stories threaded together, it started to feel the same after too many of them and the surprise was gone. I'd certainly read more of her work, because of the bits I enjoyed.

Did anyone else have a similar reaction?

message 15: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 132 comments Mary wrote: "I only managed to read about half of the book. I liked it but when I put it down, I didn't feel compelled to pick it back up. While I too enjoyed the way the stories threaded together, it started t..."

I have to admit I feel the same way. I appreciate the way the stories are done and the writing is good, but it is not the type of book that I keep thinking about when not reading, wanting to read on every chance I get.

message 16: by Jalilah (last edited Jul 04, 2013 05:33AM) (new)

Jalilah | 132 comments Another thing I should mention is how I react to a book is often what my previous expectations were. I guess I was expecting this book to some how be more fantasy, more Fairy Tale-like because of the title. I just read about the author Emma Donoghue and see that she is not a fantasy writer. Knowing that ahead of time I think would help to appreciate the book more.

Michelle (fireweaver) | 65 comments whoever picked this one, thanks very much. I loved it.

message 18: by Shveta (new) - added it

Shveta Thakrar (shveta-thakrar) | 6 comments I just got it from the library, so I will try to catch up!

Michelle (fireweaver) | 65 comments Melanti wrote: "I finally got around to reading this yesterday and really enjoyed it.

I thought the way the "villain" in each story was the hero of the next was really clever -- especially on the ones where the..."

Melanti, this was one of the things i liked so much about the book. the nested-tales approach reminded me of a simpler version of one of my super favorites,
In the Night Garden. i love the idea that none of the pro- or antagonists in any of these stories are easily good or evil, that they are flawed and human. it can be a tough trick to pull off in these simply-written shorts.

the next-to-last one, a sort of twist on 'the little mermaid', was the one that finally made them all click for me. i find the feminist message in here to yes, be a bit heavy, but still so very resonant.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.