Class of 2014 discussion

Under the Mesquite
This topic is about Under the Mesquite
Under the Mesquite

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Macy Hoang | 27 comments "Lupita, no matter how much it rains, the roads wont stay flooded Eventually everything dries out again. It just takes awhile." The book I just finished was Under the Mesquite by Guadalupe Garcia McCall. I reccommend this book to anyone around their teenage years beacuase the story describes when Lupita, the main character, was a teenager. I love this book so much because it described how Lupita's family struggles to stay as a family due to their mother having cancer. I reccommend this book especially to people who have experienced crossing the border to America and to people who lost a loved one. Under the Mesquite won the Pura Belpre Award. If you decide to read this book and you love the author, McCall also wrote Summer of the Mariposas.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen | 29 comments Because of your review and interest in the author, I will be ordering "Summer of the Mariposas". See, you students can influence others!

message 3: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Martinez | 28 comments This book sounds really interesting but I have a question. Is this a real life story?

Macy Hoang | 27 comments Carolina wrote: "This book sounds really interesting but I have a question. Is this a real life story?"

It's based on the author's struggle through her teenage years. She loved writing her emotions out in literature and so thats why this book was written.