Legend (Legend, #1) Legend discussion

Do we have Romeo and Juliet on our hands?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Thomson So I was reading a cheeky bit of Shakespeare today and I thought that people should write these plays as a book in a dystopian setting. Because I've seen mondern times versions but never dystopian.
Then the thought came to me. What if Legend/Prodigy is Romeo and Juliet with a few changes...
Romeo - Day, Juliet - June, Tybalt - Metias? and Paris - Anden.
Somebody please prove me wrong. Because if I'm right then it will not end well for my already ripped heart (ripped from reading Prodigy)
Also, I don't even know the story of Romeo and Juliet that well so there may be a major error I'm missing.

Marie Lu Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Prodigy (Legend, #2) by Marie Lu

kirstin ✿ Well, I believe you know about how Romeo and Juliet ended up dead?

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Thomson Yes, that's the problem!

Erica Absolutely every popular love story gets compared to Romeo and Juliet. Of course there are some similar things, all love stories have something in common. The two types of love stories, IMO, are forbidden and unwanted.
Romeo and Juliet is forbidden love. They fall in love at first sight and the only thing stopping them from getting together is their families.
Day and June is unwanted. She thinks he killed her brother so she doesn't want to love him. All in all, I think she reacts the way Juliet should have.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Thomson Yeah, I know but when you think about it there are quite a few similarities between the two stories.
I mean the similarities between the story don't end at 'forbidden love' either.
-Like June options to being with Anden; Juliet being with Paris.
-Day is leaving June; Romeo being exiled.
-Juliet does not move during their first kiss; she simply lets Romeo kiss her. June lets Day kiss her at first, before kissing him back.
-Juliet also says; "You kiss by th’ book,” which can be taken in different ways, one being that he knows how do kiss. June also thinks "Not his first time. He's definitely kissed other girls before..."
-When Romeo and Juliet first kiss they don't even know one another's name. Same for Day and June. (I'm clutching at straws, I know. But this has been playing on my mind!)
-Mercurio could perhaps represent John too as Mercurio (John) agrees to the duel (execution) instead of Romeo (Day).
Or maybe if you reverse it so that June is Romeo.
-Day having options to being with one of his kind, Tess. Juliet with Paris.
-Romeo kills one of Juliet's kind because they killed his pal; June killing Day's family because she thought that Day had killed Metias.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm just trying to fill time until I read Champion and this is all bull but hey.
Y'see what I mean?

Areana Felix Well mostly an romantic story has to be like Romeo and Juliet. Its similar but not not the whole book is Romeo and Juliet. Like when June meets Day she knew that he was the bad guy but she turned him in. Juliet only told her nurse and Friar Larwance but not her parents. Also she learns her mistake and helps out Day escape. But I can see the Romeo and Juliet theme, like both knew that they couldn't love each other yet they still did. Also Aden gets jealous of Day and Aden loves June but she doesn't. so yea

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Thomson Fine, ruin my dreams all of you why don't you...
I'm joking!
I just got really caught up in this idea(:

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Legend (other topics)
Prodigy (other topics)
Legend (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marie Lu (other topics)