ABC Book Review Podcast discussion

What are you reading - June

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cari (new)

Cari | 51 comments Can't believe it's June already! It's the first day of Summer Reading Club at Twinsburg, and things are hopping. You should all join your summer reading club at your local library.

I'm still working on Clockwork Angel, and I also started Lexicon by Max Barry (comes out June 13 - I got a preview copy). I have a huge stack on my desk. We're trying to boost circ at our library. I figure even if I don't read them all, at least I have checked them out.

message 2: by PrimalAwakening (last edited Jun 04, 2013 02:20AM) (new)

PrimalAwakening | 9 comments I just finished Home by Toni Morrison (No further comment needed)
I'm currently reading The Wall by William Sutcliffe(An interesting story. If you liked the story Boneshaker by Cherie Priest you'll probably enjoy this one)
I just got my hands on A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle and will read as soon as I can.
Happy Reading!

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Koudelka (jenibus) | 2 comments Since I'm officially done with my schooling career, it's been easier to find time to read again. I just started tackling A Feast for Crows by George R R Martin, which due to all of the new characters we're now introducing, feels like I'm starting the series all over again. But what characters I've met I really like (the Martells are wonderful).

message 4: by Cari (new)

Cari | 51 comments Jennifer wrote: "Since I'm officially done with my schooling career, it's been easier to find time to read again. I just started tackling A Feast for Crows by George R R Martin, which due to all of the new characte..."

I like the Martells too. I need to get started on Dance with Dragons. I have been saying that for a year now! I finished FoC shortly before I had the baby.

message 5: by Cari (new)

Cari | 51 comments P.S. Congrats on finishing, Jen!

message 6: by Sarah (last edited Jun 06, 2013 01:53PM) (new)

Sarah I just finished Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls. I liked it, but not as much as some of his previous books. I've moved on to Little Brother, which I'm reading for my adult book group, and then will read Beautiful Creatures for my teen book group.

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison (amdmccarty) | 6 comments I listened to about half of Defending Jacob yesterday, and I know you loved it, Cari, but I am just so frustrated with basically every character. I'm going to eyes-read the rest of it... I wonder if that will help?

message 8: by H.D. (new)

H.D. Bailey | 4 comments I'm starting on Dragonflight. I had wanted to read this series a long time ago, and was just reminded about them.

message 9: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 16 comments I just finished The Journal of Mortifying Moments by Robyn Harding.

I read a review of it years ago and threw it on to-read list. It came up on my bookswap site and I requested and was so horrified by the cover. It has a woman in a bikini who is reaching for her lost top. It is seriously the trashiest cover.

So I left it in my bookcase for ages and finally pulled it out the other day.

Turns out it is a very funny - laugh out loud in parts book - similar to Bridget Jones or the like (set in the USA though.)

I don't think it is particularly racy at all - I have no idea what on earth the publisher was doing giving it that particular cover. I feel so bad for the author because honestly - it must have cost her sales. It is the type of cover that is frankly - to me - kind of embarrassing to carry around - especially since it isn't even a trashy book. Ugh.

Anyway I would recommend it for a funny chick lit sort of read - if you can get past the cover!

message 10: by Nina (new)

Nina I just finished "Waiting to Be Heard: A memoir by Amanda Knox." I had no idea the guilt or innocence of her nor did I care, but her release from prison and me living in the Seattle area had me curious. The crazy injustice that she went through in the book was unreal and incredible and I had no idea.

I downloaded a sample of Knox's boyfriend's book from Amazon and loved what I read. From the sample, it was the book I wish Amanda's could be. So, I'm anxiously awaiting my turn on the hold list at my local library.

In the meantime, I'm reading "Closer to the Ground" a book by another Northwest author about trying to connect to nature with his two young kids. It has me wanting to take up Oystering!

I'm reading to my daughter the second Pippi book "Pippi on Board" and to my son "Among the Impostors" the second book in the Shadow Children series. This kids series is so good it has me telling my son "Just one more chapter."

message 11: by Jumana (new)

Jumana I have finished "The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Diapered." It was light and funny and gave a brief over view of the world's history through the eyes of a Swedish man fleeing his retirement home and runs into a whole bunch of trouble.
I have also completed the audio book of "Ready Player One" read by Will Weaton, which was awesome.
I will be reading "The Language of Flowers" for my book group. I hope it's a good one.

message 12: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 16 comments I just finished Sad Desk Salad which I bought purely and totally because I thought it had a hilarious title. I was so surprised - it was really good. It is a novel about a writer for a high traffic blog. (I think it is supposed to be a lot like Jezabel.com) I really enjoyed it - amazing for a book I picked out so randomly!

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg (mcanol1) | 10 comments I know I am a little late to write, but I am reading House at Riverton by Kate Morton. It's a little slow to start, but very much like Downton Abbey if you like that show, you might enjoy this one.

Also reading Edith Wharton's Glimpses of the Moon, and I am getting into it. It is supposedly a classic romance, and so far it is living up to that description. Maybe Beth would like this one since she is still searching for a romance to come close to Time Traveler's Wife.

I finished Discovery of Witches and really liked it. It felt like a mix of Harry Potter, Twilight, and Outlander. I will probably read the sequel next month or the month after.

I tried a free preview of Sad Desk Salad because the author wrote for Slate, and I liked her articles, but I never purchased the book. I think she writes for New Republic now.

Also ordered the first Nele Neuhaus novel in German because of the recent podcast recommendation. That hasn't arrived yet, but it will probably take forever for me to finish it.

message 14: by Wylie Kay (new)

Wylie Kay (wklilly) I love A discovery of Witches..but be warned!! Book 3 is not out yet and there is no word from the author as to when.

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth Hatch | 44 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "I just finished Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls. I liked it, but not as much as some of his previous books. I've moved on to Little Brother, which I'm reading for my adult book group, and then wil..."
I just received David Sedaris' book on audio, as well as Dan Brown's Inferno, and Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan. I'm officially going to start sleeping in my car until I get through them all.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Alanna wrote: "I just finished Sad Desk Salad which I bought purely and totally because I thought it had a hilarious title. I was so surprised - it was really good. It is a novel about a writer for a high traff..."

Alanna, I love blog books. Just read Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures. Too funny. Bloggers are people too!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I just finished reading Where'd You Go Bernadette and it was funny! I think fans of The Spellman Files would like it.

message 18: by Meg (new)

Meg (mcanol1) | 10 comments Sarah wrote: "I just finished reading Where'd You Go Bernadette and it was funny! I think fans of The Spellman Files would like it."

I loved Where'd You Go. Easily the best book I read so far this year.

message 19: by Cari (new)

Cari | 51 comments I started Sad Desk Salad and never finished it. I did like it though. I'll have to go back. I also enjoyed Where'd You Go Bernadette. Sarah and I were talking about this (we're rooming together at ALA this week) and I suggested Special Topics in Calamity Physics as a readalike. Blue (the main character of that book) is very similar to Bee. Also, Marisha Pessl, the author, has a new book coming out later this year (Night Film). Man, I wish I could clone myself so that I could read more and still do all the other stuff I need to do in life :-)

In all seriousness, I am hoping to get some reading done while I am here in Chicago, if I have any down time! I'm expecting to get lots of ARCs at the show. Currently I'm in the middle of several different books, including The Accidental Systems Librarian and Smile at Strangers, which is a book about using karate techniques to keep yourself safe and to be fearless in your life. The author will be on our podcast soon too!

message 20: by Beth (new)

It's taking all my will power not to buy a plane ticket to Chicago right now. I really wish I would have tried to go. Jealous.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Beth, someday we can all go to BEA and get all the ARCs.

message 22: by Beth (new)

LIKE!

message 23: by Meg (new)

Meg (mcanol1) | 10 comments Thanks for the readalike recommendations Cari. Enjoy your time in Chicago. It's my absolute favorite city.

message 24: by Beth (new)

It's been crazy busy and we're back from the ohio library council event. How is everyone doing? We get to have dinner with Carla Buckley. Anyone read her stuff?