Old Books, New Readers discussion

Animal Farm
This topic is about Animal Farm
Archived > 2013 June Book- Animal Farm

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments So this month, this gorgeous month of June, we will be reading Animal Farm.

I have no idea why I put this book in the poll I hate it! I read it once and swore I would never read it again, but that is promises for ya, always thinking of ways to be broken. Anyways, post all your thoughts here and if you write a review post that here too please!

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 246 comments It is one of the great novels of all time. Look at all the bases it touches -- it's a talking animal book (and thus fantasy, just like WATERSHIP DOWN) and science fiction.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments I think it is a great book in it's own way, I just hate sad books and I also, more than a little, disagree with communism and thus reading about it makes my blood boil. I am one of those irritating people who reads book for enjoyments sake, so if I am not enjoying it, it is a waste of my time.

I haven't read Watership Down yet, I saw the cartoon when I was little and have never gotten over the fright it gave me, but I do intend to read it sometime.

Daisy Christa - Ron Paul 2016 wrote: "So this month, this gorgeous month of June, we will be reading Animal Farm.

I have no idea why I put this book in the poll I hate it! I read it once and swore I would never read it again, but tha..."

I agree, I cannot stand this novel! I read for a class in seventh grade and I could never find myself to even hear about it anymore. It's extremely tedious and I'm pretty sure I rated this on on my shelf for one of the worst books I've read :((

♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) You know...I have never heard of this book so I am looking forward to reading it ;)

message 6: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (last edited Jun 03, 2013 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments Poor Tabi, I remember when I said that ;D But as head mod I think I am pretty much required to encourage you to read it. And even though I did not like it, I think it is very interesting to others opinion so maybe you should read it.

Daisy Tabi (Sherlockian; My Middle Name Is Eccentric) wrote: "You know...I have never heard of this book so I am looking forward to reading it ;)"

That's great Tabi :) but it was complete disappointment for me....

♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) Oh no....dread is creeping into me now....:p lol is it a sad ending?

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments Communism always ends sadly. I suppose an argument could be made that capitalism does too, but I won't make it.

message 10: by Daisy (new) - rated it 1 star

Daisy Tabi (Sherlockian; My Middle Name Is Eccentric) wrote: "Oh no....dread is creeping into me now....:p lol is it a sad ending?"

It is sad.... but it's also EXTREMELY boring..... I can't bear reading it again

♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) Oh. Boring book...oh dear haha those are my Achilles heel. Still, I'll nick a copy from the library on my next run and see what I think.

Thomas Bieber | 20 comments The ending was sad, and really well written, however like some other people here, I found it boring and had to force myself to finish it. However, I did really like Orwell's 1984 (which is one of my favorite Dystopian novels, right behind Huxley's Brave New World). I feel like I would have enjoyed a story of communism better if it didn't use animals as characters.

message 13: by Daisy (new) - rated it 1 star

Daisy Thomas wrote: "The ending was sad, and really well written, however like some other people here, I found it boring and had to force myself to finish it. However, I did really like Orwell's 1984 (which is one of m..."

Yes, I really did enjoy 1984. Much better than Animal Farm. It was a bit creepy but much better :)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments I got Animal Farm and 1984 in the same book, but I was so bored and sad at the end of Animal Farm I never got around to reading 1984, everyone says I should, so I guess I need to get around to that.

Gargi (gargisharma) I left Animal Farm last time after reading around 15 pages. Hope I can finish it this time!

message 16: by Martha (last edited Jun 04, 2013 05:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Martha I think I have it here somewhere on my bookshelves. I want to read it again with you guys. I read in high school, but forgot the plot, etc.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments I forget how it ended, I just remember how unsatisfied and sad I was at the end.

message 18: by Meg (new)

Meg Rapp (bandnerd) | 13 comments Personally, I really enjoyed animal farm. I read it in ninth grade, but didn't fully understand all of the communism in it. I am looking forward to a re-read. Once you get past the talking animals, it is a good story. As far as the ending goes, I think it is truthful and an accurate representation of what really happens. Just give it a try :)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments I read it a couple of years ago, I forget now how old I was, I picked it up today with dread in my heart. Looking at how long it is, the version I have is only 80 pages. And to tell the truth, I started it about an hour ago and am having a hard time putting the story down!

It has captured my mind this time around, I am understanding so much more of what is going on. I did not know that this book is actually banished in some countries and it is a privilege to read it. I am appreciating it so much more now I am older.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments So everyone.....how's the reading come? This book that awful? As I stated above I wound up finding it a very educational book. The introduction in mine was very informative.

I admit I was so sad about Boxer though. That poor horse. Did anyone else not like the donkey very much until the end? With that one good deed to Clover and all was forgivin in my mind.

♠ TABI⁷₈⁷ ♠ (tabi_card) I haven't started it yet...haven't even gotten the time to hop by the library and pick up a copy :p

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 54 comments I found this to be a very interesting book. If I had read this book before "1984" (I just read 1984 last month), I probably would have found it more profound since they're both based off the same concept. Animal Farm almost seems like a prequel to 1984, in its own way. The presentation is very unique, which is probably a big reason why it's a classic. It's definitely a book you should read, but I found 1984 more...compelling. Although the last sentence, just like in "1984", really makes the book :)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (christa-ronpaul2012) | 3184 comments That is a good point. I think Orwell came up with two different ways to tell the same story. I haven't read 1984 yet, but I have the Animal Farm & 1984 in the same book so I will be getting to it soon.

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 54 comments Ya, I really liked 1984. It's really disturbing at times, but I think that's what makes it do intriguing.

Ditte Wow, it really sounds like people generally dislike this book - I did not expect that! ... However! I'm afraid I might have to add myself to that list. I read it about 5 years ago and thought it was awfully boring. I guess there's a chance I'll like it better now that I've grown as a reader and know more about literature, but I truly doubt it, and I don't think I'll be reading it this month - sorry guys! :(

message 26: by Rose (last edited Jun 23, 2016 05:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rose Rocha dos Santos (roserocha) | 192 comments Hi, everyone! I just read this book, as part of the Catch-Up Challenge 2016.

I must confess I loved it! It is a really intense and rich book, despite being so short. There are so many analogies and I marked a lot of quotes in my copy of the book.

As I read the book in Portuguese, I must copy here some really useful notes from Cliffnotes:

Animal Farm is an allegory, which is a story in which concrete and specific characters and situations stand for other characters and situations so as to make a point about them.
The main action of Animal Farm stands for the Russian Revolution of 1917 and the early years of the Soviet Union. Animalism is really communism.
Manor Farm is allegorical of Russia, and the farmer Mr. Jones is the Russian Czar.
Old Major stands for either Karl Marx or Vladimir Lenin, and the pig named Snowball represents the intellectual revolutionary Leon Trotsky.
Napoleon stands for Stalin, while the dogs are his secret police.
The horse Boxer stands in for the proletariat, or working class.

Also, I found super interesting this discussion about Religion and Tyranny:

Religion and Tyranny

Another theme of Orwell's novel that also strikes a satiric note is the idea of religion being the "opium of the people" (as Karl Marx famously wrote). Moses the raven's talk of Sugarcandy Mountain originally annoys many of the animals, since Moses, known as a "teller of tales," seems an unreliable source. At this point, the animals are still hopeful for a better future and therefore dismiss Moses' stories of a paradise elsewhere. As their lives worsen, however, the animals begin to believe him, because "Their lives now, they reasoned, were hungry and laborious; Was it not right and just that a better world should exist somewhere else?" Here, Orwell mocks the futile dreaming of a better place that clearly does not exist. The pigs allow Moses to stay on the farm — and even encourage his presence by rewarding him with beer — because they know that his stories of Sugarcandy Mountain will keep the animals docile: As long as there is some better world somewhere — even after death — the animals will trudge through this one. Thus Orwell implies that religious devotion — viewed by many as a noble character trait — can actually distort the ways in which one thinks of his or her life on earth.

You can find more on the link below:

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literatur...

Michelle (mich2689) | 218 comments I read Animal Farm in high school and I enjoyed it even back then. I remember there were a lot of good quotes in there.

message 28: by Rose (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rose Rocha dos Santos (roserocha) | 192 comments Yes, Michelle! A lot of good quotes indeed! It was a good surprise because I am not a fan of dystopia... but I really enjoyed it and read it in one night...

Luella I read this one in school too and liked it. It sort of sparked my interest in Russian culture and lit even though this book is not a Russian classic.

Kimberly | 145 comments Just finished this book, also as part of my catch up challenge. :) I'm on the fence about it, but I think I liked more of it then disliked. That's why I ended up giving it 4 stars instead of 3. I guess I just couldn't believe how gullible all these animals were! Even after catching Squealer with a paint bucket, they continued to believe they just remembered the commandments incorrectly. And, after seeing with their own eyes the words on the wagon that took Boxer away, they believed Squealer. :P It's a little shocking how they just went along with everything, but it's very true to life. :( Many times, people just go with what the "authorities" say and don't look into it themselves. We are brought up to trust those with authority and not question them. But, reading a book like this reminds us maybe we should question them.

I liked how Orwell used animals as the characters. :) Instead of using the different classes, he used different species to separate the classes. It was quite fascinating to read... And, the final commandment is unfortunately still real today. :( "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others." Even with communism being abolished in many countries since this story was written, this statement still seems to ring true. :(

message 31: by Rose (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rose Rocha dos Santos (roserocha) | 192 comments Kimberly wrote: "Even with communism being abolished in many countries since this story was written, this statement still seems to ring true."

Totally agree!!

Luella Kimberly wrote: "Just finished this book, also as part of my catch up challenge. :) I'm on the fence about it, but I think I liked more of it then disliked. That's why I ended up giving it 4 stars instead of 3. I g..."

Yea its crazy. Have you ever read The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956? I read part one last year and it blew my mind.

Angie I just finished reading this for my Catch-Up Challenge. I first read the book back in high school, and I'm pleased to say that I love it just as much this time as then. I'm a historian, so I appreciate it not only as a work of literature but also as a historical document. Orwell did a brilliant job of extolling the flaw inherent in a system such as communism. But more than that, his warning can also apply to the general dangers of blind faith and giving too much without a system in place to check it.

Boxer broke my freaking heart, though.