Cozy Mysteries discussion

Off topic discussions > Your favorite cozy as a movie

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mystereity Reviews (mystereity) I don't know about anyone else, but it happens when I'm reading a book that I can visualize what actors would be in a movie version of the book. In a perfect world, who would play the main character in a movie made from your favorite cozy mystery? Any actor, past or present and if a movie was already made from the book, just pretend it didn't happen because let's face it, usually they're not cast very well.

I'll start with one of the first cozy mystery series I began reading - Diane Mott Davidson's Goldy Bear series. I always saw Sharon Gless as Goldy - back in the 80s during her sassy Cagney days. Heck, Tyne Daly could be Marla! And Mark Harrmon as Tom.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Tee wrote: "I don't know about anyone else, but it happens when I'm reading a book that I can visualize what actors would be in a movie version of the book. In a perfect world, who would play the main charac..."

Sounds like an excellent line up to me.

message 3: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book) | 54 comments Something I will have to think about (because you know that the characters in your mind are always different from how others see them). Excellent question, though.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments I wish they would make some Agatha Raisin mini series or tv movies.

message 5: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Do you think she is right for the character?

In "Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove," Andie MacDowell plays Judge Olivia Lockhart, whose Cedar Cove Municipal Court is the professional milieu and social microcosm of issues the judge will face in her own day-to-day life with family and friends. Jack Griffith (Dylan Neal), the editor of the Cedar Cove Chronicle, is a new friend and potential love interest for Judge Lockhart.

In the series premiere, Judge Lockhart is overjoyed to hear that her name is being put forth for appointment to a Federal judgeship in Seattle by her longtime friend, Senator Pete Albertson. Olivia asks that her family keep the news a secret. In the meantime, Jack Griffith, desperate for a meaningful news story, corners Olivia’s mother who inadvertently tells the editor about everything in her daughter’s life – including the possible appointment.

Suddenly, Olivia (much to her chagrin) is front page news. How will her family, and the rest of the town, react to the potential changes in Olivia's life?

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinacz) | 233 comments Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "I wish they would make some Agatha Raisin mini series or tv movies."

I agree, Heidi. I thought there was some talk about this happening awhile ago. Forget what actress they had picked for the role of AR. Who would U like 2 see cast in that role. Also would like to see Country Inn, Dead & Breakfast series made into movies. ;-)

message 7: by Heidi (Yup. Still here.) (last edited Jun 05, 2013 12:57PM) (new)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2445 comments Tina wrote: "Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "I wish they would make some Agatha Raisin mini series or tv movies."

I agree, Heidi. I thought there was some talk about this happening awhile ago. Forget wh..."

I think the author mentioned she would like Julie Walters to play Agatha - I looked her up and agree! She is Ms. Weasley in the Harry Potter movies.

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinacz) | 233 comments Thanks, Heidi. I'll check her out. And nice to meet a fellow Aggie fan. :-)

message 9: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Shirley wrote: "Do you think she is right for the character?

In "Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove," Andie MacDowell plays Judge Olivia Lockhart, whose Cedar Cove Municipal Court is the professional milieu and social ..."

I've read the entire Cedar Cove book series and the TV series and actors chosen looks so horrible that I absolutely refuse to watch it. I also know the various book storylines and some aren't appropriate for TV if they choose to include them.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (kathy_lee) | 47 comments In G.A. McKevett's series, I picture Dawn French (the Vicar of Dibley) as Savannah Reid, but with a Southern accent

I picture Patricia Rutledge from Keeping Up Appearances as Agatha Raisin

I picture Stepfanie Kramer (old TV series Hunter) as Stephanie Plum.

Hannah Swenson (Joanne Fluke books) I picture sort of a grown-up Annie (the cartoon one on the logo for Annie the Musical)

message 11: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
I picture Estelle Getty from Golden Girls as Grandma Mazur from the Stephanie Plum series.

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ wrote: "I picture Estelle Getty from Golden Girls as Grandma Mazur from the Stephanie Plum series."

Exactly!

message 13: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 16064 comments Mod
Too bad she died in 2008. ; )

Mystereity Reviews (mystereity) Heather L wrote: "Too bad she died in 2008. ; )"

LOL yes, but you can't help when you mentally "cast" someone in a role. Makes it even worse when they actually do a movie of a book and the actors are just wrong, wrong, wrong. I can point to Jack Reacher as the most recent egregious casting error. *grumble*

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ wrote: "I picture Estelle Getty from Golden Girls as Grandma Mazur from the Stephanie Plum series."

This is exactly who I pictured too!! I was disappointed with who they actually chose for the movie because I was dead set on Estelle Getty in my head.