Dystopia Land discussion

Movies & Television > Television Shows

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Adam (last edited Jun 03, 2013 10:03PM) (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments There doesn't appear to be a TV-specific thread in the group so I thought I'd create one. The idea came to me after seeing the great movie suggestions being offered. Feel free to recommend television shows that heavy dystopian themes.

* Continuum - a police officer from a corporate controlled 2077 is sent back to 2012 in order to stop a terrorist group. The group's intention is to halt the progress of corporate innovation so as to change the oppressive high-tech regime of the future. Stars of note feature William B. Davis (Cigarette Smoking Man in X-Files) and some of the actors from the Canadian show Intelligence. As the series progresses the darker aspects of 2077 become more apparent (like most dystopian worlds, at first it appears like a golden age or utopia, but by season 2 it's much darker).

* Total Recall 2070 - one of the best examples of true cyberpunk on TV is this rare gem. Features two police officers, one human, one android and their fight to stop dangerous technological innovations that are destroying the world around them. Has very little to do with Total Recall the movie. Unfortunately discontinued.

* Fringe. One of my all time favorite television shows, Fringe follows a group of extra-normal investigators under the purview of the FBI and their attempt to solve cases in which technology and science go wrong. While this may not immediately sound like a genre that should concern us in this thread, the dystopian aspects of Fringe become apparent as the show progresses (I'll leave it at that to avoid spoilers). Just keep an eye out for the episode named Letters in Transit.

* Dollhouse. While not my favorite show, Dollhouse features high technology and android female assassins. Like Fringe, the themes may not become apparent early on.

* Firefly. Usually classified as a "Space Opera," Firefly follows the exploits of a group of wayward universe travelers on-board a space craft named Serenity. Earth is devastated early on and the planets the crew visits are backward and rustic. This show was also discontinued.

* Stargate Universe. I can see you saying, "Adam, you're running with it now. This isn't remotely dystopian." Have we no rules?!! Sure it is. A crew gets trapped aboard a spaceship traveling the edge of known space. Depression, sadness and survival are big themes here. The crew is forced to ration what resources they have or face annihilation. The show is very much unlike any of the other Stargate spin offs. The show was cancelled early on.

* Jericho. Nuclear holocaust drama. A little too much drama for me but some may enjoy it.

* Revolution. Post apocalyptic journey by Fringe-creator [and mastermind] J.J. Abrams. Electric turns off one day... the world falls to crap. A USB flash drive may contain the evidence necessary to find out what really went wrong. It may also possess the key to Earth's salvation.

* Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I'm sure I really don't need to explain why this fits the bill. :)

There's a bunch of other television shows that fit here. Add your favorites!!!

Edit: HTML added to protect eyesight.

message 2: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (last edited Jun 03, 2013 10:48AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) | 1215 comments Mod
GREAT!!! topic. Thank you for posting it!

I really loved Fringe, Firefly, SGU and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

This one is funny as hell, I've seen it few times. If you can look past the old (but no so much) effects it is a great story!

*Farscape (TV Series 1999–2003)

Thrown by an accident into a distant part of the universe, an Earth astronaut finds himself part of a fugitive alien star-ship crew.

TOP 3 funny moments according to someone on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAI5b...
A little not for N.1: it's a body switch situation! The girls is actually not a girl!

*Battlestar Galactica (2004–2009, TV Series) Really love this one.

When an old enemy, the Cylons (robots,androids?), resurface and obliterate the 12 colonies, the crew of the aged Galactica protects a small civilian fleet - the last of humanity - as they journey toward the fabled 13th colony of Earth. (and look for the original Earth)

There is web series I think after season 3, when they were all captured by the Cylons. The end of the series was pretty creepy, I'm still not sure If I got the meaning of it. In addition this series have an amazing soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4UPJ...

*Caprica 2009

Released after Battlestar Galactica but the timeline is from before. It is how the Cylons were created and what are the eentd that led to the destruction of the colonies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2D32...

message 3: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (somecrazygingerkid) | 0 comments caprica was pretty interesting watched it awhile back I don't think it was finished though and I think its on Netflix

message 4: by Adam (last edited Jun 03, 2013 12:25PM) (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments Battlestar Galactica and especially Caprica. Too bad Caprica was cancelled because it was a perfect example of a dystopian TV show. The girl annoyed me at first but she grew on me. :) Edit: sorry this post was so short, I was on my mobile! :)

message 5: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (last edited Jun 03, 2013 11:39AM) (new)

It was very good but unlike BSG lacked enough action and drama and low ratings equals cancelled show.

I personally really like the girls girlfriend (Lacy Rand), she was loyal to Zoe and a bad-ass and I wanted so much to know what happened after she joint the "terrorists".

It was interesting that they showed how some crazy obsessive people can influence history and hurt a lot of people because of some "cause" (in this case a religious one)

message 6: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments Falling Skies - Aliens invaded and now their not many humans left and those who are left get there kids kidnapped and harnest by the aliens to work for them.

I didn't watch much of the first season but I liked season 2 and season 3 is starting in a few days.

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments I saw the first season of that but didn't like how the aliens looked or something silly like that, lol. Hoping to get that on Netflix instant video when it comes out. Netflix instant really keeps the continuity going (no commercials and weekly waits and all).

message 8: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments Adam wrote: "I saw the first season of that but didn't like how the aliens looked or something silly like that, lol."
Yeah for some reason I wasn't really interested in the first season either, but the second was actually really good, I think. And this new season might be interesting cause the cliff hanger was good.

Um... There's.. "The Walking Dead". I haven't seen the show I've only played one the the video games, but I'd assume it was end of the world with all the zombies right?

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I did enjoy Jericho when it first started, but then I just lost interest. For some reason it reminded me of that 1980's movie The Day After.

message 10: by Adam (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments I've never seen Walking Dead. I've wanted to for a while now. I guess I wonder what they can do with zombies other than have them eat people for brains. :P But it gets great reviews.

Yeah,I agree with you Michelle. I liked Jericho at first as well. I think it had a lot of potential but it dragged a lot. Maybe I didn't give it that much of a chance but I didn't really get the feeling it was going anywhere. :D

message 11: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments Defiance - I guess it's not really "Dystopia" but kinda? Idk I guess it depends on your opinion. Anyway the Earth was terraformed over by several different aliens species (The Voltan). So the old Earth is gone replaced by a "New" Earth. Now all the aliens and human got to live together, even those with racial issues. The show takes place in the town of Defiance. There's a video game linked to the show too but it's not in the the Defiance town and has its own different main plot. I guess it's a little dystopia cause of old earth being gone? Anyway I haven't seen many eps yet so idk.

message 12: by Adam (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments I haven't seen a lot of Defiance. It certainly had the dystopian elements prior to the rebuilding. Now, I think, the show takes place in a world a lot like those in Firefly. Rustic. Not apocalyptic but certainly downtrodden. So I would classify it as dystopian. Plus... Mia Kirshner is in it. That makes me happy, so who knows, may get into it again.

message 13: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

I was wondering if I should watch it. I might give it a try.
Continuum didn't hold my attention for long.

Walking dead is a nice movie.

I think I already mentioned it but his one was really good:

V:An extraterrestrial race arrives on Earth with seemingly good intentions, only to slowly reveal their true machinations the more ingrained into society they become.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz3vh...

I was really hoping for season 3.

message 14: by Adam (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments I think you should totally give Continuum another try, but I'm big into the whole time traveling thing. :D V looks great. I remember the old mini-series from before my time... that YouTube makes the new one look great. And like everything great, discontinued. :(

I'm not keen on Dark Angel. Was that dystopian at all? Looked just high tech action.

message 15: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (last edited Jun 04, 2013 02:49PM) (new)

Adam wrote: "I think you should totally give Continuum another try, but I'm big into the whole time traveling thing. :D V looks great. I remember the old mini-series from before my time... that YouTube makes th..."

I might do just that them :] Sometimes things are better the second time around. My problem sometimes is the lack of attention span.

I would categorize Dark angel as Dystopian. Are we talking about the Jessica Alba series?

message 16: by Adam (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments Yeah that one, the Jessica Alba series. I only caught a few episodes so I'm not sure about the setting. I should give it another chance. :)

message 17: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments The new V was a awesome show and one of my favs! I was sad when it ended.

message 18: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Adam wrote: "Yeah that one, the Jessica Alba series. I only caught a few episodes so I'm not sure about the setting. I should give it another chance. :)"

Jessica kicks ass :) There is some weird dog-human mutant in the series -.-

Anna wrote: "The new V was a awesome show and one of my favs! I was sad when it ended."

Way too much good shows are getting cancelled lately.

message 19: by A (new)

A M H | 45 comments Just a reminder! Falling Skies New Season 3 Starts TODAY!! :)

message 20: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Anna wrote: "Just a reminder! Falling Skies New Season 3 Starts TODAY!! :)"

I just saw that, a nice surprise. :)

message 21: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

[image error]

Under the dome [Horror | Sci-Fi | Mystery | Drama] IMDB Official Webpage

Release Date: June 24, 2013

Set in the near future, Under the Dome tells the story of the residents of the small town of Chester's Mill, who suddenly find themselves cut off from the rest of the world by a mysterious, impenetrable barrier that surrounds the town. As the town begins to tear itself apart through panic, a small group of people attempt to maintain peace and order while also trying to uncover the truth behind the barrier and how to escape from it.

Episodes:
1. "Pilot" - June 24, 2013
2. "The Fire" - July 1, 2013
3. "Manhunt" - July 8, 2013
4. "Outbreak" - July 15, 2013
5. "Blue On Blue" - July 22, 2013

message 22: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (somecrazygingerkid) | 0 comments Not really sure it would count as dystopian, I put it more in the post apocalyptic category.

message 23: by Kammera (new)

Kammera | 12 comments I read Under the dome a couple years back. Stephen King is of course a master story teller. he completely draws you in to the world under the dome. You don't really get a sense of dystopia or paranormal in the book; just a lot of how the townspeople are dealing with it. I won't spoil it, but you only really find out the weird part(definitely falls under the science fiction realm) until the very end. And it is a HUGE book. I wasnt really satisfied at how the author ended it. It's as if he just "snap!" -switches genres on you and then voila-end of book! Maybe he had a deadline?

message 24: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

HOW DID WE FORGOT THIS?

Lexx (1997–2002)

message 25: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (last edited Sep 28, 2013 05:21PM) (new)

I remember when this got out, but I was waiting for the full series to be out. It's quite nicely done:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Continuum...

A girl wakes up on a space ship with no memory and a very controlling computer.

message 26: by Hanna (new)

Hanna Siva | 6 comments Is there any good dystopian shows on netflix?

message 27: by Hanna (new)

Hanna Siva | 6 comments Also continuum is an awesome show

message 28: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Little wrote: "Black Mirror
An excellently twisted British tv series. Similar to twilight zone set in a dark, technologically over abundant all too possible future. 15 Million Merits was a personal favorite.

h..."

I've heard of them, each episode is different right?

message 29: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Found another sci-fi Youtube series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBe8R...
Apart from the chicks inability to cry (convincingly), it's pretty good.

message 30: by Miley (new)

Miley (mileyrowling) I will have to say that The 100 is probably my favorite.

message 31: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Miley wrote: "I will have to say that The 100 is probably my favorite."

I really liked it as well. Are you aware if there is going to be season 3?

message 32: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I read The 100, but have yet to watch the show. It seems right up my alley, though.

Going back through this thread I have to say I've loved Dollhouse, Firefly, Dark Angel (season 1 more than 2), The Walking Dead, Under the Dome (season 1 only, downhill from there), Battlestar Galactica, V, both the original and the revamp and Farscape.

message 33: by AuroraBlaze (last edited May 28, 2015 06:41PM) (new)

AuroraBlaze | 9 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Miley wrote: "I will have to say that The 100 is probably my favorite."

I really liked it as well. Are you aware if there is going to be season 3?"

Yeah, there's going to be a season 3. It was supposed to start this fall, but they bumped it to next spring.

I love Jericho, and there're some comic books (or graphic novels) that take place after the show ends that I'd like to read.

Another show that I absolutely love is Terra Nova. There's only one season and it left a lot of stuff unresolved, but it's amazing. The premise is, in the future, pollution has completely destroyed the Earth. People are only allowed 2 children, they need to use rebreathers to survive, and freah fruit is a rarity. But scientists found a rift in time that leads to the time time of the dinosaurs, and best of all, it's in a different time stream, so they won't completely change the course of the Earth. So people go back there to live, and there's rebels and secrets and romance (not a lot) and, of course, dinosaur attacks.

message 34: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I loved Terra Nova too! I thought I might be the only one. I so wish they had gone on to season 2. I console myself with Hemlock Grove on Netflix which also stars Landon Liboiron. ;)

message 35: by Keith (new)

Keith | 76 comments Jericho was GREAT! Really enjoyed Revolution as well. I was excited about Terra Nova but it didn't pull me in. I've heard good things about Black Mirror. Might have to check that out.

message 36: by Bec (new)

Bec (_becandbooks) Is anyone else watching Between which just started on Netflix US? I am really enjoying it.

message 37: by Angeline (new)

Angeline | 15 comments Kandice wrote: "I loved Terra Nova too! I thought I might be the only one. I so wish they had gone on to season 2. I console myself with Hemlock Grove on Netflix which also stars Landon Liboiron. ;)"

I really liked Terra Nova too, so you're not alone! But, when they pull shows for lack of viewers, it often makes you wonder, doesn't it?

message 38: by Kandice (last edited May 29, 2015 07:18AM) (new)

Kandice Angeline wrote: "I really liked Terra Nova too, so you're not alone! But, when they pull shows for lack of viewers, it often makes you wonder, doesn't it?"

It does, but then I think about how I watch t.v. I don't "tune in" for any shows live anymore. I either watch them on my own schedule "On Demand" or wait until they are available on NetFlix. That makes it hard for the networks to tell when something is really popular.

There are many, many shows that I think I would enjoy, but I don't watch because I don't like feeling as if I have to be in front of the television on a certain night at a certain time.

message 39: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Angeline wrote: "I really liked Terra Nova too, so you're not alone! But, when they pull shows for lack of viewers, it often makes you wonder, doesn't it? "

Probably people didn't even give it a chance because it doesn't have that feel that someone has spend millions on the CGI.

message 40: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Amazon has released The Man in the high Castle series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzayf...

message 41: by Angeline (new)

Angeline | 15 comments Kandice wrote: "There are many, many shows that I think I would enjoy, but I don't watch because I don't like feeling as if I have to be in front of the television on a certain night at a certain time. "

I know exactly what you mean. I don't have Netflix, but I tend to record everything on my Sky box and watch it later. I'm so busy all the time that I often can't even devote myself to watching an hour-long programme in one sitting!

I have to let a lot of shows slip me by, and by the time I'm ready for them, I have 3 series to catch up on, and I can't justify the time commitment.

message 42: by James (new)

James Parsons | 10 comments Currently waiting for the final season of Continuum to arrive in UK soon. It has been one of the best tv shows overall-not just sci-fi tv shows-in the last few years and I am sure that eventually people will see just how well it was written and produced. Season three really provided some of the most challenging and bold episodes so far.

message 43: by James (new)

James Parsons | 10 comments The other main currently science fiction series I am following is Defiance on SyFy channel. A few episodes into the third season now, and thankfully more continued changes and drama around the town of Defiance and in the lives of the various interesting characters. Great to see a sci-fi show shot out on locations, some great visual designs of sets, costumes, CG, great dialogue.

message 44: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 19 comments James wrote: "Currently waiting for the final season of Continuum to arrive in UK soon. It has been one of the best tv shows overall-not just sci-fi tv shows-in the last few years and I am sure that eventually p..."

Just started S1 and not bad so far

message 45: by SSteppenwolFF (new)

SSteppenwolFF | 27 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Amazon has released The Man in the high Castle series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzayf..."

OMG !!! First time I heard of this !!! Thank you !!!

message 46: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Garside I'm enjoying "Humans" and "Zoo." My all time favorite was "In the Flesh" - even though I'm not normally into zombie stories, this one was about so much more. So bummed when it was cancelled.

message 47: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I don't think this counts as dystopic, but is anyone watching Sense8?

message 48: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

SSteppenwolFF wrote: "Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "Amazon has released The Man in the high Castle series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzayf..."

OMG !!! First time I heard of this !!! Thank you !!!"

you are welcome :)

Kandice wrote: "I don't think this counts as dystopic, but is anyone watching Sense8?"

I did see the whole first season. I liked it.

message 49: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

The man in the high castle aired.

message 50: by Michele (new)

Michele | 399 comments Mod
Anybody else watching "Black Mirror"? We've only seen the first two episodes of season 1, but WOW. This is how dystopian sf ought to be done. Really stellar.

« previous 1