Christian Fiction Bloggers discussion

Widow of Gettysburg (Heroines Behind the Lines, #2)
This topic is about Widow of Gettysburg
Archived Buddy Reads > ❀Dawn and Megan❀ Widow of Gettysburg by Jocelyn Green

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (last edited Jun 10, 2013 09:03PM) (new) - added it

Megan (celtic_girl) | 6293 comments Mod
Dawn and Megan will be buddy reading Widow of Gettysburg by Jocelyn Green.

For all who have suffered great loss of heart, home, health or family; true home and genuine lasting love can be found.

When a horrific battle rips through Gettysburg, the farm of Union widow Liberty Holloway is disfigured into a Confederate field hospital, bringing her face to face with unspeakable suffering-and a Confederate scout who awakens her long dormant heart.

But when the scout doesn't die she discovers he isn't who he claims to be .

While Liberty's future crumbles as her home is destroyed, the past comes rushing back to Bella, a former slave and Liberty's hired help, when she finds herself surrounded by Southern soldiers, one of whom knows the secret that would place Liberty in danger if revealed.

In the wake of shattered homes and bodies, Liberty and Bella struggle to pick up the pieces the battle has left behind. Will Liberty be defined by the tragedy in her life, or will she find a way to triumph over it?

Inspired by first-person accounts from women who lived in Gettysburg during the battle and its aftermath, Widow of Gettysburg is the Book 2 in the Heroines Behind the Lines series. These books do not need to be read in succession. For more information & resources about the Heroines Behind the Lines series, visit www.heroinesbehindthelines.com.

message 2: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - added it

I finished the first half, so I'm ready to discuss when you are! :)

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments I've not even started it yet. I had something major happen at my apartment, so my reading time has been very limited. That and to escape I've been reading a steamy romance.

I'll start it as soon as I finish the romance I'm reading.

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments I'm a little over halfway finished.

I really didn't know quite what to expect. I've not read the first book. The Civil War is my favorite time period.

I think the only thing that saved Bella from being herded out of town like the rest of the black people is her employer. And the women's courage. They did what had to be done. Though I'm not too sure how I feel about Amelia. I hope that she gets some sense slapped into her and she realizes that it doesn't matter if the men she's helping are Union or Confederate.

The various points of view are a bit confusing right now, but I'll live. It may be the netgalley formatting.

message 5: by Megan, ☘I Lost My Shoe ☘ (new) - added it

I read the first book, but this one is about different characters so it really doesn't matter. The Civil War is one of my favorite time periods too.

I think so too.

I not sure how I feel about Amelia either. On one hand, I understand her anger towards the south, they were responsible for her son's death. But then again her insisting that he was murdered is a bit much - it is war and he was a soldier. I agree, I hope she begins to realize that she should be helping out - no matter what uniform the men are wearing.

I'm enjoying the different perspectives, while they were kind of confusing in the beginning now they're not.

I was shocked when it was revealed that Liberty was Bella's daughter! That must have been so hard for Bella to give up her daughter! And the worst thing about it is that Liberty thinks her birth mother didn't like her and that is why she gave her up - when in reality she was trying to give her a better life.

What a hypocrite that Confederate doctor was! Refusing to help Silas because he assumed he was a Union soldier - when he practically forced Liberty to help!

Dawn (baseballblondie) | 1180 comments I was shocked to learn that Liberty is Bella's daughter! And to know that Bella is nothing more than a servant to her own daughter. How that must hurt her. But Liberty has grown up white. And not having to worry about being sold.

And I agree with you on the Confederate doctor!