Mid-Continent Public Library discussion

Question of the Month! > For the Love of Villainy!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MH (last edited Jun 03, 2013 06:02AM) (new)

MH (librarian-m) | 236 comments Mod
What, for you, makes a GREAT villain? What makes a villain "blah"? Who are some of the villains you have just loved to hate over the years? Most memorable? Anything!

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 195 comments Mod
I really don't think a lot about the villian whether I like them or not. They are just the villians. What makes a great villian depends probably on what genre you are reading. In the adrenaline stories I read usually the bad guys are terrorists, other countries or someone really evil. In romance it kind of depends. Sometimes the villian of a story has some redeeming qualities and end up with their own book such as Lisa Kleypas's book Devil in Winter.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (kgilson) | 44 comments I never thought of this before but my favorite genres are mystery and fantasy and both those tend to have really clear cut villains. Meaning that good and evil are usually pretty well defined. That being said, I think some of my favorite mysteries have been when the villain is not a obvious as you think. One that comes to mind is Agatha Christie and the The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I won't spoil it but if you have read it you know what I mean. :)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I have always liked the villains that are created out of chaos, and love creating chaos for the sake of creating chaos. I.e. The Joker.

message 5: by MH (last edited Jul 22, 2013 06:08AM) (new)

MH (librarian-m) | 236 comments Mod
Amy wrote: "Sometimes the villian of a story has some redeeming qualities and end up with their own book such as Lisa Kleypas's book Devil in Winter."

-- I've got the first book in this series because I am THAT interested in this villain-turned-hero.

Karen wrote: "One that comes to mind is Agatha Christie and the The Murder of Roger Ackroyd."

-- Going to see if this is in audiobook! I'm fascinated now.

Andrew wrote: "I have always liked the villains that are created out of chaos, and love creating chaos for the sake of creating chaos."

-- GREAT choice! I can see the appeal, but I'll tell you chaotic villains scare me the most and, as such, are the least appealing... But I guess that would also make them exceptionally good at what they do: being villainous.