A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Is anyone else just starting?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 8 comments Hello everyone

I'm just starting Storm of Swords- I've read the first two books and am pretty much up to date on the TV show (Episode 9 out in the UK tonight I think..)

Really enjoying the series but avoiding most of the topics on here because of spoilers.

Anyone else at the same stage?

Jx

message 2: by Victor (new)

Victor I'm about 300 pages into ASoS and there are 900+ pages in my copy.

message 3: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Victor wrote: "I'm about 300 pages into ASoS and there are 900+ pages in my copy."

:)

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Jones | 14 comments I just finished it last night, loved it!!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Birks (littlebigsis) | 3 comments I'm about 500 pages in (I had to borrow it off a friend as I couldn't wait to carry on with the story) desperately trying to avoid spoilers on these discussion threads lol

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 8 comments I'm on page 264 with Sam.....he's so adorable

message 7: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 156 comments Jane, you didn't mind watching the show before reading the book?

message 8: by Victor (new)

Victor Laura wrote: "I'm about 500 pages in (I had to borrow it off a friend as I couldn't wait to carry on with the story) desperately trying to avoid spoilers on these discussion threads lol"

The Red Wedding is everywhere on GR today it seems. I'm surprised I haven't been spoiled!

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 8 comments Jon wrote: "Jane, you didn't mind watching the show before reading the book?"

Sadly I didn't know there were books until I started watching it....

message 10: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 156 comments Jane wrote: "Jon wrote: "Jane, you didn't mind watching the show before reading the book?"

Sadly I didn't know there were books until I started watching it...."

So did you watch and read the books at the same time or what? It seems that most people who watch the show end up not reading the books, so I'm glad you decided to read them :)

Do you imagine the characters like in the show or you adjust how they look based on the descriptions in the book?

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane (shoxford) | 8 comments Morning

I'm watching it at the same time as reading at the moment but I read so quickly that I'll be ahead of the TV show soon

I picture the characters the same as the tv pretty much, it's not really the sort of thing it would have occurred to me to read had I not enjoyed the tv show. I think having watched it first helps me remember who everyone is although I've noticed a few differences...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I read the books before watching the show. I was up to Feast For Crows by the time the first season started.

message 13: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 156 comments Next season will be about book 3 as well, so that should give readers plenty of time to catch up with the show, even those just starting out.

message 14: by Justeneee (new)

Justeneee | 13 comments I just started reading them too. I'm currently on the third book with about 20 pages to go. I wish I was done with the series so I could read more of the topics on here without having to worry about spoilers, but at the same time I want to savor the books haha.

message 15: by James (new)

James | 14 comments Storm of Swords is the best book in the series in my opinion. So much changes and the whole balance of power if turned upside down. Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons were a bit of a let-down after that :(

Let's hope Winds of Winter doesn't disappoint!

message 16: by Justeneee (new)

Justeneee | 13 comments Well that makes me a little less excited to read them now :/ haha

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Feast For Crows and Dance of Dragons are on the same timeline. They were going to be one book.

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 2 comments I began this amazing series in April and have just started reading A Feast For Crows. I think I will take my time with the remaining books and start watching the TV show soon.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I think you will enjoy it Kelly.

message 20: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments I didn't like Feast during my first read through of it, but I really enjoyed it the second time I read it, especially since I had Dance to read immediately after. It made the book better IMO. And I really enjoyed Dance.

message 21: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Victor wrote: "Laura wrote: "I'm about 500 pages in (I had to borrow it off a friend as I couldn't wait to carry on with the story) desperately trying to avoid spoilers on these discussion threads lol"

The Red W..."

The Red Wedding??

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments There is a SPOILER item. If you click the little (some html is ok) in the top right corner of the box you type in. If you click it it shows how to make things italic, bold, add a author, etc. But if you type < Spoiler > and then the comment Spoiler > you can hide the spoiler. I put spaces in front of the < S so hopefully it does hide the spoiler. If we as goodreads user put the spoiler button into play fellow users would not have to worry about reading spoilers unless they clicked on it. I like hearing new thoughts on new readers and hopefully lets all try to use these spoilers buttons, so we can get more opinions. Take your time with FOC it took me the second Re-Read to really appreciate All the story lines. Enjoy the content because FOC is deff. now one of my Favorites of the series

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments (view spoiler)

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments HA click it its not a spoiler from the books

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 2 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I think you will enjoy it Kelly."

I think I definitely will, I took a sneaky peek of some of the scenes and it already looks great to me!

message 26: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1 comments I'm half way through Bk 1 AGOT LOL though am up to date S3 e9 on the telly. I hated episode 9 in all respects on the telly. Way too brutal and bloody, did they have to show everyone cutting everyone's throats? Think I might enjoy the books more than the tv series after all!!!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I was not lookjng forward to that episode.

message 28: by Kati (new)

Kati  | 27 comments I started the books after I watched season 1.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Are you enjoying them?