Audio-Bibliophiles discussion

Saturday Night Widows: The Adventures of Six Friends Remaking Their Lives
This topic is about Saturday Night Widows
Old Discussions > Saturday Night Widows

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer C We will use tihs thread to discuss the June 2013 group listen.

Jennifer C I started this story this morning so I am still in the beginning but I am liking it so far. The narrator is good and the story seems to have a light feel to it.

☻Nikki☻ C (nikkic1998) | 480 comments I started it today as well. I agree, the narrator is good. I believe I will enjoy this one if the beginning is any indication.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 108 comments I started this one on yesterday, I do like this narrator, I think I remember her from another audio book.

Now to talk about the book, I'm not sure how I feel about this book, I am somewhere around Chapter 12. Sometimes it feels like it reads like a documentary, I do enjoy the dialog of the ladies when they are together, but I'm not sure that I like when the author is talking. I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) My copy isn't in @ the library yet... :(

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 108 comments I finished this one on yesterday and I think the jury is still out on my feelings on this book. I think part of my issue is that I am not in the place where this group of ladies are, they are all widows and they got together to have a "fun" widow support group. 2 of the ladies, including the author had tried other support groups but they were depressing and made them too sad to continue. Beck Aikman decided to create her own support group, she did lots of research and then set out to find a somewhat small group of women to pull this together, what I did like and enjoy was the camaraderie between this group of women. I loved that they were really there for each other and could all relate to each other since they all lost their husbands. They rooted each other on in the good times, and was there with a shoulder to cry on in the bad times.

☻Nikki☻ C (nikkic1998) | 480 comments Linda, I can understand your ambivalance with this book. I'm also unsure how I feel. I'm currently in Ch. 15. (view spoiler) I've still got about 5 1/2 hours to go. I'm ready to see what happens with all the women. I hope it has a happy ending.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Hm. I'm still not sure I'll be able to join you, but your comments made me think about something.

Shouldn't a good writer be able to make you relate to the characters even if their situation is not your own? Isn't one of the points of reading to learn more about both the differences and similarities of people, and to help us see others' points of view? To realize that, no matter our situation, we're all just people?

If you're not really feeling for these characters in your heart, maybe the author didn't do a great job bringing them to life?

Just thinking...

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 108 comments I totally agree with your point Cheryl, I also think that is the authors job, but in a way, at least for me, I did feel for the other women, I rooted for them to feel better and to be able to move on with their lives without their husbands, and to know that their life did not end just because their husbands passed away. And the funny thing about Becky, I agree with you also Nikki, she did seem a little bossy, maybe she was in her head to much to find that "perfect" group of women for this experiment and actually in the end, I think that she did.

Jennifer C I am struggling with this one too. I am about the same spot as Nikki's post. I apologize everyone as this was one of my selections. I love stories of women bonding and like Linda, those parts of the book are good, but everything else is so dry. The prologue was so well written and got me excited but the book has let me down since then.

Cheryl, I completely agree with you, no matter if your in their shoes or not you should be able to connect with the characters. When I think about Jodi Picolt's The Storyteller, we didn't live through the holocaust but we can all relate to the characters in that book...

I will force myself to listen to it on the way home tonight so I can make more progress.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 108 comments Keep going guys, I'm not going to say that it get easier, but I think you will enjoy it....

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I do hope my library gets this to me soon.

Jennifer C :) ok Linda. I am still going. :)

Jennifer C OK, I finished this last night. I gave it three stars. You are right Linda, I am glad I kept listening. It reminded me a little bit of Eat Pray Love. The ending was much more what I was expecting than the beginning.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 108 comments I saw that you finished it Jennifer. Did you like Eat, Pray, Love?

I did enjoy the relationship of the women in this book, that was definetly my favorite part.

Jennifer C I loved Eat Pray Love. I loved the expoloration of self that the author went through. I didn't like the movie as much as the book. The book was MUCH better.

Once we got past the stories of how the spouses past away and just focused on the ladies interacting with each other, I definitely liked this book. I don't regret reading it. :)

☻Nikki☻ C (nikkic1998) | 480 comments I finished this last week. I gave it 3 stars. Overall I enjoyed the story. Like the rest of you, my favorite parts were when all the women were together. I loved their trip at the end. I believe it brought it all together. I am glad I listened to it.

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I finally read it - the paper version. I had missed the word 'memoir' in the description, and so was totally taken aback & had to rethink about what I was getting into, after I read the first few pages and realized that it was non-fiction.

So, I appreciated, mostly, the science. I was actually surprised to learn that some people think the Kubler-Ross 5 stages had to do with grieving - I learned them as what they were meant to be refections of, the most likely stages that one who is dying tends to go through.

I hope to see another book on the theme - it's about time that some real science is done to help widows and widowers. Meanwhile, this felt pretty authentic to the experience many young widows must go through.

Of course, I can't identify with having money to go to the Galapagos and to Morocco in the same decade, or to fretting so much about what other people think, or even, now that I'm menopausal, to wanting so badly to go to bed with someone.

I'm not sure if I want to give it three or four stars.

And now I have to google 'walk of shame.' How many of you know what that is?

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Ok, I googled it. How ridiculous. If you're going to be ashamed about it, don't do it. If you choose to do it, hold your head up. Ah, but I guess it's not key to appreciating the memoir.

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 108 comments I agree with you Cheryl, if you are big enough to take the 'walk of shame' then you should be big enough to not be ashamed of it!!

Nikki I too enjoyed the end with all of the ladies and was glad to see how their lives had changed during that year together.