Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

The Greatest Show Discussion > The Twelth Doctor

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 64 comments BBC sites officially shows Matt Smith to leave the series by Christmas 2013.

So, let's speculate about the next Doctor. I would really like to see someone a little older. They probably have already several candidates in mind--any ideas?

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 74 comments I'd love an older Doctor, but the style of the show and production schedule seem to lend themselves to a younger actor.

Have to think about casting wishes, as this is still sinking in.

message 3: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 4 comments Off the top of my head there are two actors that I would love to see what they would do with this role. Paul Bettany and Stephan Mangan. Given time I might be able to come up with a list of others but those two stand out to me.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 74 comments I'd love to see David Thewlis tackle it, but I'll have to think of some up-and-comers. Chances are, it will be someone I've never heard of before.

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1084 comments Going to be hard to top Matt.

I think I would like an older Doctor. Doubt we'll ever see another Hartnell, but a bit more mature.
and maybe a break from cute Doctors.

Instead of getting another Tennant, I'd like if the producers looked for another Troughton.
Or maybe a Colin Baker. Time for another grumpy Doctor.

message 6: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 567 comments Mod
An older, grumpy Doctor would be nice. I bet they go for the "sex" appeal again though. Sadly.

message 7: by LauraJ (new)

LauraJ (laurajpetri) I wonder if they'd ever go for a black doctor or a woman doctor.

Does Galifrey just not have any other races?

I've watched all the new series and I'm still on Doctor #1 (when i have time making my way through the old series') so i don't know if they've covered the topic of regeneration to a female.

message 8: by Lori S. (new)

Mainly as fan speculation or as a joke in the Red Nose Day The Curse of the Fatal Death as played by Joanna Lumley. However, the article states:
Joanna Lumley becomes the first woman to play the Doctor in an officially licenced (if non-canonical*) production. The idea of the Doctor changing sexes during regeneration is not new, having been postulated as early as Tom Baker's time on the series.

We only see what the TV episodes about Gallifrey show us, however, there seems to be a uniformity in the people of Gallifrey - which is mainly Caucasian in flavor. And most of the other media (spin-off books, comics, audios) seems to support this view point, though a couple of the episodes in the Tennant era had a black Time Lord.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 178 comments LauraJ wrote: "I wonder if they'd ever go for a black doctor or a woman doctor.

Does Galifrey just not have any other races?

I've watched all the new series and I'm still on Doctor #1 (when i have time making m..."

I think they are seriously considering having a black actor and are not against it. Now having the DOCTOR a female, I don't think they have ever taken seriously. I understand that first got thought up of when Tom Baker had announced his leaving and he and the producers joked about making the next Doctor a woman. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Oh David Thewlis sounds perfect. Now that I am thinking older I think Alan Rickman could do a lot with the part. (Why am I thinking Harry Potter cast? *LOL*)

message 11: by LauraJ (last edited Jun 04, 2013 09:12AM) (new)

LauraJ (laurajpetri) I've not even heard of The Curse of Fatal Death with Joanna Lumley. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

Edit: And thanks for the Wiki link.
That is an amazing summary.

message 12: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1084 comments Patterson Joseph, a talented black actor was in the final running for the role of the 11th Doctor.
Maybe Mofatt still has his phone number in his rolodex?

message 13: by Lori S. (new)

LauraJ wrote: "I've not even heard of The Curse of Fatal Death with Joanna Lumley. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

Edit: And thanks for the Wiki link.
That is an amazing summary."

You're welcome!

message 14: by Rick (new)

Rick | 954 comments Of the names I've seen brought up those that are sounding the most interesting (not necessarily the most likely) to me are:

Ben Whishaw
Chiwetel Ejiofor
Alexander Siddig
Aneurin Barnard

And my #1 choice:
Hugh Laurie

Of these I think the most likely might be Chiwetel Ejiofor or Aneurin Barnard.

message 15: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I've heard those two names as the top two as well.

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1084 comments Doubt they'll do it, but I think Richard E Grant would make a great Doctor.

message 17: by Rick (last edited Jun 16, 2013 04:00PM) (new)

Rick | 954 comments Most of the names I'm hearing are actors that would probably not do it or be interested. Still, it's fun to speculate.

(I must admit that this is my first Doctor regeneration as an official Whovian - I was just getting into the series when Tennant decided to leave the series, I hadn't even seen all his episodes at that time).

message 18: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1084 comments It Makes Sense In Context wrote: "Um did you not see the last ep it had 'Introducing John Hurt as The Doctor' at the end.

Although a female Doctor would be nice."

Yeah, but everyone is convinced Hurt will only be the Doctor for the aniversery special.
Would be cool if Moffatt faked us out and John Hurt was the Doctor for a season. I think he and Clara would make a good combo.

message 19: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited Jul 18, 2013 08:28AM) (new)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 178 comments NO no no no NO female Doctor. It would change the whole dynamic of the show, and possibly ruin it. I know they have made references that Timelords can regenerate as either sex and apparently some have, but that is no reason to go changing the Doctor. They can still bring in a Timelady to be the Doctor's companion and equal as they did in the classic series with Romanna (I personally liked Mary Tamm Romanna1 over Lyla Ward Romanna2, but I seem to be a minority in that area)

RE: John Hurt (view spoiler)

message 20: by Lori S. (new)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian wrote: "NO no no no NO female Doctor. It would change the whole dynamic of the show, and possibly ruin it. I know they have made references that Timelords can regenerate as either sex and apparently some have, but that is no reason to go changing the Doctor. They can still bring in a Timelady to be the Doctor's companion and equal as they did in the classic series with Romanna ..."

I agree. It would change the tone and flavor of the show. It would be great to discover that more Time Lords survived the Time War than just the Doctor. I'm actually rather annoyed it hasn't happened already.

RE:(view spoiler)

You might want to spoiler that last bit CaptKirk42. I've been assiduously trying to avoid spoilage (though some still leaks through ...).

But (view spoiler)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 178 comments spoiler for speculation on my part? OK I'll edit/update.

message 22: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 74 comments My John Hurt "Doctor" theory:(view spoiler)

message 23: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Robert wrote: "My John Hurt "Doctor" theory:[spoilers removed]"

I like this theory.
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Rick (last edited Jul 28, 2013 02:21PM) (new)

Rick | 954 comments Robert wrote: "My John Hurt "Doctor" theory"

Hmm, you might be on to something there. There is certainly a wrinkle there that I had not yet considered. And if that is the case, whole new problems and story potentials could develop and explain some things from the 9th Doctor's early episodes. Very interesting.

message 25: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 64 comments A special half hour show on Sunday, August 4th will announce the 12th Doctor. Also, interviews with Matt Smith and Steve Moffatt; clips of episodes, etc etc.

Just posted on the BBC Doctor Who website.

message 26: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) | 43 comments Sounds good! But I wonder if it will be telecast in Australia. Will be very disappointed if it isn't.

message 27: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 64 comments I hope so, Janelle. But if nothing else, it will be all over the web very soon after the show airs.

I do not have BBC America, so I will not see it either
sad to say.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 178 comments It is too soon for me I don't want to know just yet. I'd rather hear around early Nov.

message 29: by Mark (new)

Mark C | 43 comments CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian wrote: "It is too soon for me I don't want to know just yet. I'd rather hear around early Nov."
Sadly I don't think you'll be able to avoid it. Unless you can keep clear of all websites and media outlets that might carry the announcement for the next three months. If you do manage that I'll be very impressed!

message 30: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) | 43 comments ABC is telecasting it at 4am Monday morning. Sorry Mary if your unable to get it where you are.

message 31: by Janelle (new)

Janelle (janelle5) | 43 comments Oh of course meant to say ABC Australia

message 32: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 10 comments We have a 12th Doctor

Peter Capaldi

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134922/

message 33: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1084 comments So, they went for an older guy, instead of a young, cute one.
I was hoping they would.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 178 comments OK so I only went about 30 minutes before seeing the announcement. I was not a total surprise because Peter C. was the favored front runner for the last week or so.

Anyway he is the second in two categories for actors playing the Doctor. The first of course is he is the second actor playing the Doctor who has appeared on the show before (Colin Baker was the First). I'm not counting actors who have played more than one role just actors who have/will play the Doctor.
And 2 he is the second Doctor named Peter (Peter Davison the First)

message 35: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Initially when they were announcing the "possibles" for #12 I was hoping it would not be Peter C. because of the one picture I had seen of him with a white goatee and a mustache. But he looked the part when revealed last night. I would have liked someone younger in a way but I have a feeling that he will pull off the "sexy" part of the doctor just fine. It's the DOCTOR no matter who the actor. Doctor Who is Doctor Magic. He makes every actor playing him and the companions look good.

message 36: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 75 comments The character of the Doctor is determined by the writing of each episode. I loved Matt Smith from the start because I was tired of David Tennant being so frenetic all of the time and posing for "pretty boy" shots so often. I liked that Matt Smith brought back the humor of being an alien and taking a child-like delight in learning about being "humany-woomany". He reminded me of Patrick Troughton, one of my favorites.

The only Doctor I actively disliked was Colin Baker, who I felt single-handedly almost destroyed the franchise. He was insufferably arrogant and rude. Not the kind of alien you'd welcome to come for a return visit to your planet! But maybe that was the doing of the writers as well.

I was hoping for a female Doctor...or someone other than yet another white British actor. Being in the states without BBC (we won't pay for cable), I've never seen the new guy in anything. I saw WWZ, but don't remember much beyond laughing at Brad Pitt's current hairstyle...and the teeth-chattering of the zombies.

As long as the stories are good, and they've been most excellent lately, I'll remain a life-long fan.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 178 comments Colin Baker suffered from being with the series at the wrong time. If I recall correctly Between his seasons of Doctor Who there was a writer's strike which put the series in hiatus for a while and when it came back with the shortened "Trial of A Time Lord" season the stories had been given to a new writing team to re-write.

I used to hate Colin Baker at the time, because of the arrogance but I think it was more an attempt at making the Doctor slightly different and trying to make him more alien. Also his companions were the whinny "American" Perry (played by a brit who would slip out of the American accent too often, but I still like her some), and the squeaky voiced health nut Melanie, who seemed to constantly get on the Doctors nerves.

message 38: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 75 comments Ah yes, Perry...the only companion I hope to never watch an episode with again. Melanie was okay, once the Doctor became Sylvester McCoy...but he was best when teamed with Ace and her Nitro! She was one of my favorites!

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 178 comments I loved Ace. Loved the times the Doctor would say things like "Ace you know that Nitro Nine you're not carrying? I think we're going to need it."

message 40: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 75 comments Yes! That's why I like her so much! So many of the Doctor's companions aren't really equals...though it can be argued that no one can be an equal to a Time Lord who's lived so many lives. But Ace could hold her own and take care of herself.

I think that's also why it's so cool to watch the older episodes with the Master, because their dueling is almost chess-like. The Rani was a good enemy also, for the same reason. I think she'd be a good enemy to resurrect, because being a Time-Lord herself, she could be played by anyone. And I liked having a female Time-Lord.

message 41: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Okay she's not a real "companion" but I like Madame Vestra. She is an individual in terms of her life not being centered on the Doctor and just a good friend for him. She looks out for him, gives her advice, and is incredibly smart. What I don't get ... I feel like I missed an episode in there somewhere is when she became his friend in a sort of "homey" way. And I love that "Potato", Zaks as the Doctor refers to him.

message 42: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 17 comments I don't remember them ever really saying that anything specific happened to the Rani (unless I missed something; anyone know?), so I would totally buy her reappearance, no matter who played her. I bet they could create a good story around that.

message 43: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 10 comments Fiona wrote: "The only Doctor I actively disliked was Colin Baker, who I felt single-handedly almost destroyed the franchise. He was insufferably arrogant and rude. Not the kind of alien you'd welcome to come for a return visit to your planet! But maybe that was the doing of the writers as well."

It was all the writers and JNT. They wanted a Doctor who rubbed people the wrong way. It backfired

message 44: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 10 comments CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian wrote: "Colin Baker suffered from being with the series at the wrong time. If I recall correctly Between his seasons of Doctor Who there was a writer's strike which put the series in hiatus for a while and..."
It was on Hiatus because at that time the BBC had an active hate for Who. They screwed with the running times, pushing from 23 minutes to 45 minutes. Moving the time slot.
There is a bit of a documentary on the on of the Trial of a Time Lord disks.

message 45: by M.v (new)

M.v | 5 comments so what does anybody think of the new assigned doctor?

message 46: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 75 comments I'm waiting until a few episodes have shown. It's like that cartoon I saw that had 3 panels. In the first one, the person is saying that the current doctor is her/his favorite, and no one could ever replace him. In the second one she/he is saying that this one could grow on one, after a while. In the third panel she/he is saying that this doctor is the best doctor ever and no one could ever replace him!

I still have favorites, but Matt Smith really grew into the role. I loved his child-like wonder at things, as well as his reminders and behaviors that showed he really was an alien who just happened to look like a human...but wasn't.

I also read that the actor was in a punk rock band with Craig Ferguson years ago, and since Craig has been hoping for an invitation to do a guest spot on the show, I'm wondering when we'll see him in some weird make-up hamming it up.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 178 comments Fiona wrote: "I'm waiting until a few episodes have shown."

I too am waiting till I see him in action. It is like when people protest an upcoming movie without seeing a single bit of the film, just because the main plot is controversial.

Fiona wrote: "I also read that the actor was in a punk rock band with Craig Ferguson years ago, and since Craig has been hoping for an invitation to do a guest spot on the show, I'm wondering when we'll see him in some weird make-up hamming it up."

Yes they were, I didn't know that until on facebook I had made a comment that the new Doctor looks a little like Craig Ferguson, and someone pointed out to me that they had been in a band together. They do look similar at first glance. I think it would be cool for them to cast Craig as some sort of weird psycho alien that is mistaken for the Doctor and the Doctor gets into trouble because of him and has to set things straight. Or perhaps have Craig as some kind of shapeshifting alien who plots against the Doctor.

message 48: by M.v (last edited Oct 02, 2013 11:46PM) (new)

M.v | 5 comments http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/02/david-t...

Thank you for this.That is interesting you guys say that. I did not know any of this and had to confirm and found this video where they talked about it. I didn't know Capaldi had humor. When he played Ceasar when David Tennant played Doctor Who I just saw him as a Ceaser. I guess seeing this, I still can't determine how he is going to perform as the new Doctor. I just hope he holds the spirit of the Doctor to how it should be. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5N6sL...

message 49: by Billy (new)

Billy | 4 comments 1. Peter Capaldi did not play Caesar. He played a marble merchant in Pompeii in the episode Fires of Pompeii
2. Of course he has humor. Check out one of the best satires on politics ever made In the Loop.
3. He has a long history of comedy (Alexei Sayle Show)
4. A much more inspired choice for the Doctor than Matt Smith was. Hopefully he will become the ultimate combination of the original series Doctors with the new.

message 50: by M.v (new)

M.v | 5 comments 1. woah there, thanks for the information. I just got confused. It's been 6 months since I last saw that episode
2. Again, I never seen Capaldi outside the character I mentioned. I don't follow actors like that.
3. Thank you for the information
4. I do hope he does a good job. Everything is unpredictable when it comes to the Doctor because of how big his character is.

« previous 1