Goodreads All Sorts discussion

Life After Life (Todd Family, #1)
This topic is about Life After Life
Archives > Annie & Liz: Life After Life

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz | 196 comments Annie and I chose to read Life After Life this month.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Hi Liz, can I read "Life After Life" with you an Annie? I really wanted to read it for the monthly group read, bit it wasn't picked.

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments It's fine by me...

message 4: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz | 196 comments Of course! We haven't really started yet. Annie, did you get a copy of the book?

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments Yes, I have had the book for quite along while. I have read into it just a wee bit...

message 6: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz | 196 comments Oh that's right. I'm desperately trying to finish The Passage, so I'll be getting to Life After Life asap.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I just downloaded it on my Kindle app a few days ago. It seems interesting. I have a few books going at once right now, but I'll try to concentrate on this one.

message 8: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz | 196 comments I finally started reading this and it's not quite what I was expecting (not that it's a bad thing). I heard about this book on a podcast I think, and I must not have been listening as carefully as I thought. Anyway, I am liking it so far. How about you guys? How much have you read?

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments Liz wrote: "I finally started reading this and it's not quite what I was expecting (not that it's a bad thing). I heard about this book on a podcast I think, and I must not have been listening as carefully as ..."

Hey Liz, I've read about 130 pgs so far (switching between this AND Night Circus). At first I found it a bit like being inside a yo-yo, if that make ANY sense! However, after some pages, between the writing style & the different pacing of events, like the rose on the cover, possibilities, threads, more substance begins to open. Hope that makes sense! :)

I will say, the physical book is pretty darn heavy! Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to making more progress & hearing where you are and also Terry!

message 10: by Liz (last edited Jun 18, 2013 09:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz | 196 comments Hey sorry for disappearing. It's been busy here lately, getting ready for finals, etc. Anyway, I'm about 190 pages (of 460 I think - is that how many pages your book has?). I struggled getting used to the writing style/story organization. I know you mentioned the book being heavy, but I want to add that I think this is a book I would prefer to read the actual book. I keep going to the table of contents to check the times etc. of the chapters. But living in China (especially in a city without a good English book store) makes the acquisition of actual books impossible. Hence the nook book.

Anyway, here are a few more thoughts. I feel like you've probably read past where I'm at, but I'll hide them just in case. (view spoiler)

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I love this book so far - I like the way it is written, she has a very feminine style, which is good for the Victorian time period at the begining of the book. It is pleasant to read and visualize. (Night Circus is set in the same time period, but I keep going "Huh?" when I am reading it...Life After Life has a warm feeling and The Night Circus feels cold to me.)
I can't figure out yet if the same people are dying and getting re-born or if the book is showing all the options of what might happen, kind of like living in different time dimensions. What do you think?

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I just finished the 2nd book in the Game of Thrones series yesterday - that was a thick book and I found I couldn't skim through it easily without missing out on stuff (so much detail)
Now I am devoting my time to reading Life After Life and finding it to be a relaxing break from all the fighting and backstabbing of the King's court!

message 13: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz | 196 comments I finished it a couple days ago. I kept looking back to the table of contents to look at the timeline(s). I started to lose a little interest during the last quarter or so, but by the end I thought it was quite good.

Annie, have you finished? What did you think?

Terry, I love Game of Thrones!! So good! Also, are you done with Life After Life? Nearly?

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments Okay Gals, NO spoilers for Game of Thrones here! I'm planning to order the the 1st four books on GRRM's series this evening & I do believe there is (a-hem) a thread for that topic! Lol!
Gosh, I'm only giving in to read these out of pure peer-pressure at this point! It's relentless! JUST KIDDING...sort of!
As far as Life After Life (LAL), I was going right along & lost steam at about page 160 (of @ 528). I didn't lose interest, I was just waylaid by 3 really fun & fast-paced reads ( oops )! I am now going to try & focus my efforts back to LAL, with hopes of finishing in no later than 5-7 days!
Liz, I am relieved you did NOT end the book feeling disappointed! Welcome back to the US!
Terry, I'm not sure if I told you, but I made it BEYOND page 100 in The Night Circus, and THEN decided to shelve it under never-finished & just-get-to-the-point-already!
That's my status as of today! Hope you both are well! ;~.}
~Annie

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Hi!
Annie, you are going to LOVE Game of Thrones - that's all I will say on this thread!!

I really like Life After Life - I think that is such an interesting concept for a story - one that keeps having different endings. I always wonder what my life would have been like if I had made different choices or was born into different circumstances. According to my kindle, I am 77% through the book. I am trying to fininsh it because I wanted to start reading "Joyland" by Stephen King in July since it takes place in a summer ammusement park.
I gave up on the Night Circus too, I just couldn't connect with it. There are so many good books and I don't have a lot of free time to waste on something I am not enjoying.
Liz, I hope you are enjoying being home for the next 2 months and I hope both of you are enjoying your summer so far -

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments Hey LAL-gals!
I'm finally far along in LAL that it is beginning to take shape & poss(?) direction. Also, I can see patterns (or poss red herrings) starting to take emerge!
A hunch, but even if Ursula manages to live a long life, it may NOT be A very easy one!
So far, LAL is by far the best Atkinson book I've read (and about the 4th-5th). What a difference a day can make!
TaTa!
~Annie
P.S. Broke down last night & bought the 4-Volume Mass Mkt PB Set of Game of Thrones on Amazon for under $20! EXCUSE: GRRM IS a neighbor, after all (he - Santa Fe, myself - ABQ...of course). I so like to support the local talent (rich- probably has 3 other homes), nonetheless...what's another near 6k to add to my TBR list? Meh!

message 17: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Terry wrote: "Hi!
Annie, you are going to LOVE Game of Thrones - that's all I will say on this thread!!

I really like Life After Life - I think that is such an interesting concept for a story - one that keeps..."

I totally concur about Annie's sure love of A Game of Thrones. I love the series myself. Actually, I'm currently re-reading books I-IV (about halfway through A Clash of Kings,) in preparation for A Dance with Dragons, which I have not read yet.

I love your take on Life After Life, as well!

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments Dustin wrote: "Terry wrote: "Hi!

I really like Life After Life - I think that is such an interesting concept for a story - ..."

Ooo, a re-read! Man, that's sayin' a lot. I'll be sure to pass that along to GRRM after he invites me to his summer home in the Sangre de Christos!

LAL IS a truly interesting book not only in plot, but in structure as well! I was (carefully) scanning some reviews last night & it was fascinating to see the range of reactions to this book! Everything from serious literary deconstruction to a serious comparison to the movie Groundhog Day!

Sure is food for thought! Huh???

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Just finished reading this book about 10 minutes ago - I loved it! The way it skipped back and forth through time and different lifetimes was fascinating. Nothing was predictable, which made it refreshing. And I love how the author handled that sense of deja vue, when you feel like you have lived through something before....

message 20: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Just out of curiosity, have any of you wonderful readers read any of Atkinson's other work? If so, which ones?

message 21: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Annie wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Terry wrote: "Hi!

I really like Life After Life - I think that is such an interesting concept..."

Yes, and in a way, I'm almost enjoying the series more the 2nd time around!

So GRRM is a long distance neighbor of yours, eh Annie?

I'm definitely interested in Life After Life someday, despite my less than favorable introduction to Atkinson's work via Case Histories.

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments Dustin wrote: "Annie wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Terry wrote: "Hi!
@ Dustin: I read somewhere that GRRM lives in Santa Fe. He probably has other houses. I live in New Mexico also. I was just kidding around as I'm known to do now & again. psssh.

Annie (louize48) | 291 comments Note to LAL Gals,
I did actually finish Life after Life this past weekend but have been having network problems until last yesterday.
I did very much like this book, but haven't gotten a chance to write the review yet which is kinda good, because the more I think about it, the more it grows on me! I gave it 4 stars and will let you know when I post a review.
Last, I enjoyed reading this book with both of you!!!