Paper Towns Paper Towns question

Margo Roth Spiegelman is just a teen girl with a self-centered attitude? Do you like her mysterious behavior? or Is it a mysterious life? What do you think she is teaching us about?
Athira Athira Jun 03, 2013 02:13AM
Margo Roth is a strong and independent girl. Margo teaches us a great lot of things about leaving and finding true and new meaning of life.

deleted member Jun 11, 2013 01:36PM   0 votes
I haven't read Paper Towns in a while so I might be a little foggy, but to me Margo didn't seem that self-centred. At least, not of her own accord. A lot of people (not just Q) were unintentionally idealising her and so it seems natural that she would be paying a lot of attention to her actions, her words etc. when so many people were watching and judging her.

I think that was partly what she was trying to teach us, too- lots of people think they understand her and her intentions, but as we get further into the book we realise that she, like everyone, is a mess of contradictions and thus is almost impossible to truly understand. She teaches us about human connection and the barriers in understanding one another.

I'll agree with Aaron, once we remove the filter from which Q saw Margo, it was almost impossible to tell who she really was. Had the story been narrated by one of his friends, one or her friends, or a bystander at school, she probably would have been portrayed quite differently. Though I didn't think her mysterious life was reasonable, I did enjoy it. It reminded me of two major life lessons-- first of all, people change dramatically over time. I thought about the friends I had when I was in grade school and how none of us hang out anymore. Secondly, you should never stereotype someones life just because of how they appear. Q repeatedly mentioned how she "wore designer jeans" well, none of that mattered as they were psychotically scaling the fence to get into Sea World.

Though Paper Towns was probably my least favorite John Green novel, it still had tremendous value and Margo character was definitely gripping because of her eccentricity. I would have loved to learn more about her home life... do you think that her parents were the primary factor contributing to her behavior? Or was it as the narrator suggests, something deep within her, part of her personality?

Aaron (last edited Jun 07, 2013 05:00PM ) Jun 07, 2013 04:56PM   0 votes
I do believe her action tend to sway towards self-centered behavior, but I believe what she is teaching us, through Q, is that desire to be self-centered lies in all of. That need to "leave" especially can be found in probably everyone. Those who just want to leave and start again. Which is very hard to do, and that(amongst others)makes her strong and independent. And we must keep in mind is that our view of her is largely perpetuated by Q's perception of her. So in order to fully understand her we have to remove Q's, almost obsessive view of her.

I had to write an essay expressing the symbolism, the imagery, and setting of the book and how it connected to some stock description of the tragic archetype of innocence to experience. These comments really have provided me some insightful information that helped me write the essay...I'm sure you guys deal with much more.