Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Hey gang, I need your help. At the end of the month I am going to have surgery on a fairly large hernia. Anyway I was told that for 3 weeks I am on a liquid diet. Usually, when it is only a day or two I drink bullion and jello etc. But since it is going to be so long I need recipes that are healthy and liquid. Do any of you have a recipe?

message 2: by Sandra J (last edited Jun 03, 2013 05:00AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 149 comments I know I'd be really careful of using boullion over any length of time since it tends to be full of salt. You might want to buy some different low sodium broths at the market. And how about popsicles (ice pops?) that are essentially frozen juice (no pulp)? If your diet doesn't have to be clear liquids, how about something like Ensure or Boost or Slim Fast? Being on a liquid diet for one day is the pits. I can't imagine three weeks! Best of luck.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) I was going to suggest smoothies that use yogurt as a base. It's not only filling but so kind to your digestive system. As Alison says, it's a really great way to have variety as well..vegetable based for dinner, fruit for breakfast, a combination for lunch. Also, you can make them thick or thin to satisfy cravings.

Do beware of the salt contents in soup. It's pretty easy to create your own stock where you can control that ingredient. You can use natural herbs and spices to add variety to the flavor.

Good luck!

message 4: by Sandra J (last edited Jun 03, 2013 09:01AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 149 comments And if you don't tolerate milk well, there's alternatives available. Soy yogurt is good, but watch the sugar. Some of the ones out there are really high on the sugar. I use unsweetened low fat soy milk every day on my cereal. You won't be eating cereal, but soy smoothies are very good (and have protein and calcium, too).

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) I use the same kind of soy milk for that very reason (plain, non fat). There are many healthy yogurt choices and as Sandra says, check the sugar content as the focus always is on fat. You'd be surprised at the sugar content in some of the popular brands.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Thanks you guys. I don't mind using bullion for a day or two, but as basic diet, UCK! You're right, there is way too much salt. Currently, I can drink milk, but after they put my stomach back where it is suppose to be I don't know. I will look into the Soy milk. I also Love Coconut Milk, which is suppose to have 3? times the calcium as regular milk.

message 7: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 1121 comments Mod
Hey Dee :-)

Check out these links for good liquid diet recipes:

thekitchn.com/what-are-some-good-idea...

http://www.theliquiddietrecipes.com/

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/liquid...

Hope this helps..there are lots of smoothies and soups etc that you can have.. :-)

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Thank you so much, Tanvi.