The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Past Bookworm Events & Entries > Festival of Fantasy ~ A Bookclub Event by Lucinda

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
Some of you may recall that this group recently hosted its annual Not-So Austen Bookclub Bookworm of the Year Awards! The prize for coming in first, was that you would be given the chance to create and organise a bookclub event.

Lucinda, one of our three Not-So Austen Bookworms of 2013, has created this event, titled 'The Festival of Fantasy'. It is sure to be brilliant - so without further ado, I will post up her instructions :)

The Fantasy genre commonly uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary plot element, theme, or setting. Many works within the genre take place in imaginary worlds where magic and magical creatures are common.

Some examples of types of book within the fantasy genre:
(1). Children’s fantasy ~ Harry potter, Alice in Wonderland, Narnia, Eragon,
(2). Old-style fantasy ~ The lord of the rings, Game of Thrones, Crown of Stars, Wizard’s first Rule, the Runelords.
(3). Modern “Young Adult” fantasy ~ Beautiful Creatures, Alice in Zombieland, The Infernal Devices
(4). Vampire ~ Twilight saga, Morganville Vampires, Vampire Academy, The Vampire Diaries

Portals are popular in the fantasy world, to transport characters from and to other lands and other worlds.

Some portals include ~
*Alice in Wonderland – the looking glass (and) the Rabbit hole
*Narnia – The wardrobe
*Harry Potter – A PortKey (and) Floo powder
*His Dark Materials – the Knife
and even…the classic “Wizard of Oz” you have the twister!

Now for some Fantasy Fun!

As a GROUP we all are going to take part in a fantasy story - one that is completely our own!

You shall put your name forward for ONE of the following tasks.

- Task 1: Worldbuilding ~ these people shall create a fantasy world for the story to be set in.

- Task 2: Good and Evil ~ these people shall decide who is good and who is evil within the story, and if there is one main “bad” character.
*the bad character could be like Voldemort or Sauron or some sort of magic.

- Task 3: Creatures & Characters ~ these people shall decide what kind of creatures and beings inhabit this world.

- Task 4: Magic Used ~ these people shall decide how magic is used. Will the characters use wands to cast spells or say incantations? Will they brew potions or is magic simply all around them in the atmosphere??

- Task 5: Plot ~ these people shall decide the main plot. Is it going to be a story where good must fight evil? Will there be great battles or will a single creature ‘save the day’??

(If more than one person wants to work on one of the above tasks, together, then they can do).

After the above is done:

Then EVERYONE in the Not-So Austen bookclub can create your own character and join in the story!!

Note: Unlike a Roleplay this is a story in which you write like an author and the next person carries on the story. Who knows where it will take you?!

~ Lucinda

message 2: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 367 comments This is the coolest idea ever. Oh my gosh! *squeals* I'm looking forward to the finished product, but for now I have to figure out which task to take on.. hmm. Decisions, decisions.

message 3: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Zohal | 1418 comments Mod
OMG!!!! This sounds like SO much fun! Hmm... must think of which one to take part in.

message 4: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (new)

Putting myself forward for Task 5: Plot

message 5: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Lady Poppy wrote: "This is the coolest idea ever. Oh my gosh! *squeals* I'm looking forward to the finished product, but for now I have to figure out which task to take on.. hmm. Decisions, decisions."

I am pleased to hear that group members aprove and do like my idea, as i was concerned at how it would be recieved.

Isabelle: task 5 PLOT is taken

message 6: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

I'd like to put myself forward for Task 4 :)

message 7: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments I'd like Task 1, please.

message 8: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments Is there a time limit to when we have to have our tasks completed?

message 9: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments WordlesslyAmazed03 wrote: "Is there a time limit to when we have to have our tasks completed?"

I wouldn't have thought so.

I am going to choose Task 3 so that other members can have a go at as much as possible. I shall create a few characters/ creatures but feel free to also have a go at this task too.

message 10: by Clare (new)

Clare dooley (claredooley) | 55 comments This is an AMAZING IDEA!!! I understand that people can work together , but if all the slots get filled is there a way to still participate? I'd love to help with adding creature/ characters to the world that is being created, but there are so many cool options!
Once again the NUT and her army if bookworms never cease to amaze.
This is truly an amazing idea:) love it, love it, love it!

message 11: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Clare wrote: "This is an AMAZING IDEA!!! I understand that people can work together , but if all the slots get filled is there a way to still participate? I'd love to help with adding creature/ characters to the..."

As many people can SHARE the tasks as they wish, and combine each other's ideas.

The whole concept of this story is that it is different & unique, due to lots of peoples imput. It will be so exciting to see how it turns out!

Clare ~
*create some characters and creatures and then, if not taken, pick another Task (or) work with someone else on a Task.

message 12: by Clare (new)

Clare dooley (claredooley) | 55 comments Cool I'll do that:) great idea Lucinda, I can't wait to see how it turns out:)

message 13: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Clare wrote: "Cool I'll do that:) great idea Lucinda, I can't wait to see how it turns out:)"

*grins*

Ʈʜэ MɐÐɲΣ§Ꭶ ᏊརƭᏲƗϞ (death_of_the_rebelz) Would I be able to assist with task 1?

message 15: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Ω~L1F3L3$$ 3XP0$UR3~Ω wrote: "Would I be able to assist with task 1?"

If 'Wordlesslyamazed' wouldn't mind you also working on the worldbuilding, then i am sure that would be fine! A fantasy world can be quite extensive in size and scope...from land to the sea, to the heavens and other worlds/ planets and far-away places

message 16: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments No, that's great!

message 17: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 367 comments Hmm I'd like to do either 1 or 3. Does anyone have a preference for whatever reason?

message 18: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments I'd be happy to work with you on Task 1, but it's your decision.

message 19: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 367 comments Okay! I'll do task one with you and Ω~L1F3L3$$ 3XP0$UR3~Ω :)

message 20: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments Awesomesauce.

message 21: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments I am very excited to see what different people come up with and the variety of creative ideas which will go into this story! The sky really is the limit...

message 22: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 367 comments Are we allowed to begin creating?

message 23: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Lady Poppy wrote: "Are we allowed to begin creating?"

Yes, of course! Once you have done a task you are welcome to post it up and all are ideas can collectively come together for the story.

message 24: by Zohal, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 02, 2013 11:39PM) (new)

Plot Idea
Well, this is just a basic idea for a plot, because with plots it has to fit in with all the other components of the world. So I've come up with as basic idea. Feel free to give ideas and opinions on it.

So I was thinking of your classic evil spirit awakening. But in a more subtle way. Kind of like something moving through the shadows sort of thing. This evil spirit could be one that was locked away eons ago. The evil spirit may be able to cause people to act different, become possessed or to commit sins.

Those who are possessed have a special case known as "Red eye" They are almost never caught, because they walk among us and are clever.

However, it has been eons since Red eye had occurred. But now it is happening again. And people are quick to deny it. But could it be that the evil spirit is free once again?

Obviously this is very basic, but once people start pouring in ideas for the other components this can be worked on.

message 25: by Aurora, Co-Moderator (new)

Aurora | 994 comments Mod
This sounds great! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
@Clare: "The NUT and her army of bookworms." xD I like that.

Can I do Task 2? :D

message 26: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Aurora - TSK 2 (Good & Evil) is yours!

message 27: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments Isabelle wrote: "Plot Idea
Well, this is just a basic idea for a plot, because with plots it has to fit in with all the other components of the world. So I've come up with as basic idea. Feel free to give ideas and..."

I really like that and think it is a fantastic idea! :)

message 28: by Leyah (last edited Jul 07, 2013 03:36AM) (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments Oh wow, this sounds so cool! *hits head* Leyah, why can't you check groups more often!

Am I allowed to take part in task 1? It's just that while I'm not a fantastic drawer, I'm a passionate map creator and have made a few fantasy maps in the past! Also, are we allowed to do two tasks?

message 29: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments Isabelle wrote: "Plot Idea
Well, this is just a basic idea for a plot, because with plots it has to fit in with all the other components of the world. So I've come up with as basic idea. Feel free to give ideas and..."

That's a brilliant idea!

message 30: by L (new)

L | 1252 comments The Lady Ellaia (Leyah) wrote: "Oh wow, this sounds so cool! *hits head* Leyah, why can't you check groups more often!

Am I allowed to take part in task 1? It's just that while I'm not a fantastic drawer, I'm a passionate map cr..."

Of course you can (map drawing sounds great!) and do feel free to have a go at more than one task. :)

message 31: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments Ooh! Then I would also like to take a crack at task 4, if Booknut would permit :)

message 32: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Aurora wrote: "This sounds great! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
@Clare: "The NUT and her army of bookworms." xD I like that.

Can I do Task 2? :D"

I have an army of bookworms?!

*eyes wide* This is totally. Awesome! It's like the DA except it's the BA. Booknut's Army! Except I have a total lack of hand-eye co-ordination, so when it comes to fighting, I'll have to designate second-in-commands ;)

message 33: by Booknut, Head Moderator (last edited Jul 07, 2013 04:05AM) (new)

The Lady Ellaia (Leyah) wrote: "Ooh! Then I would also like to take a crack at task 4, if Booknut would permit :)"

Sure :) We'll work on it together!

message 34: by Leyah (new)

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments :D