The Patch Bookworms discussion

Book to movie adaptations. Best? Worst?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (hthers) | 2 comments I think Stephen King novels are actually well adapted into movies. The Shining, The Green Mile, Carrie, Shawshank Redemption...

Worst for me probably was Ann Rice's Queen of the Damned and Interview With A Vampire. They were nothing like the books and missed the lush and sensual horror of it completely. Exit To Eden was also way too campy with Rosie O'Donald cast in it. The book had humor, but the movie just missed the boat!

message 2: by Lea (new)

Lea (ellcore) | 2 comments Mod
Hunger Games. By far. It was horrible compared to the books. I realize they couldn't show much, but it wasn't even the blood and gore, it was everything else. They ruined it in my opinion.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily Murphy | 3 comments Lea I absolutely agree! I'm hoping with the new director the second movie will be better. There was not enough dialogue to develop the characters (even Kantiss seemed flat) and I know that they can't include everything but I felt like certain scenes they cut from right when the games end should have been included to develop the relationship.

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Fisher (CtownDubbya) | 2 comments I agree with Hunger Games and want to add the Harry Potter movies. I know they had to cut stuff out for time but some things really should have been left in! How can people who haven't read the books see the movies and know what's going on? I also hated the last Twilight movie because they added a bunch of crap at the end to it.

Other than that... I mostly don't see the movies after I've read the books because I am usually disappointed. And I can't remember any other movies I've seen that go with books I've read.

message 5: by Leann (new)

Leann Geyer | 4 comments I agree with the hunger game but also twilight. They'd had so much detail and the movies made the books look bad.

message 6: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 6 comments I agree with Twlight (I hated Kristen Stewart as Bella!)- and WTF the ending to the last movie??? I just sat open mouthed after it was over.

Worst movie adaptations- The Time Traveler's Wife (the ending to the book was amazing and sweet and perfectly bittersweet and the movie was completely different and anticlimactic) and Eragon (the book ending wouldn't do very well in a movie, but they changed it so it was cheesy and stupid).

message 7: by Chantal (new)

Chantal (book__wurm) | 1 comments I agree with Hunger Games and Twilight (especially the last one).

I did not like the movie "It" by Stephen King. I read the book and pictured it scarier than what they did with the movie.

message 8: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Phillips | 1 comments "A Christmas Carol" is one of my favorite movie adaptations. I also love, love, love ANY version of "Anna Karenina!" "Les Miserables" was nicely done as well.

message 9: by Dre (new)

Dre | 2 comments Silence of the lambs was just like the book. Hannibal on the other hand completely deviated from the book. Also even though its not a movie True Blood completely deviated from the books.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (sleepymomo) | 2 comments Definitely agree with Hunger Games. Not just for making it far less violent. But I hated the casting. The characters were so different in my mind. Life of Pi was good. I didn't like the movie for Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging. I'm sure there are tons of other books, but I just can't think of them.

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth | 7 comments I loved hunger games lol.

But then again, I usually can separate the book from the movie.

I think the worst was 'my sister's keeper' by Jodi Picoult. They 100% changed it and killed off the wrong character to make it more audience friendly.

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth | 7 comments The mortal instruments was TERRIBLE! They mashed the first two books together and pulled a bunch of stuff out of thin air. It barely resembled the book. An the casting was terrible! The only one they got right was Simon.