Indonesians Who Love English Books discussion

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)
This topic is about Ender's Game
Specific Book / Author / Genre > Ender's Game (Sci-fi Month)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Sci-fi month is here, and it's a double feature. In this thread we will be discussing Ender's Game.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Oni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oni (onisur) | 171 comments No comments yet? This is one novel that will give you the best thrill ride!

Femmy | 301 comments I haven't re-read it yet, but I'll say that one of things I love most in this novel is to see how Ender answer the challenges presented to him in the battle trainings. Those scenes are so fun!

Tiza | 22 comments I'm halfway through and it's been great so far. I love Ender's complexity as a character although he comes off way too precocious (is there any reason behind this? I keep having a notion that his whole family is genetically enhanced :/). And I agree with Femmy, the scenes in the battleroom are very exciting. It's also very satisfying when Ender fought back to the bullies and won though winning depressed him more often than not in the end.

message 5: by Oni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oni (onisur) | 171 comments Oh, I would love the see the mock battle in the movie!

Tiza | 22 comments Indeed! That and Asa Butterfield as Ender, the adorable boy with murder in his eyes.

Namida Puti (puti) | 95 comments i just bought the book..i read it soon..

Christopher (chrismoel) | 5 comments An amazing book. This book introduced me to the Ender series. I have read this book 4-5 times cover to cover. Can't wait for the discussion!

message 9: by Oni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oni (onisur) | 171 comments It is indeed a very good sci-fi. I wonder about the reception of this book among Indonesian language readers if it got translated. Femmy said once that the publisher here hesitated to get it published because of the violence depicted in the book.

Jokoloyo | 27 comments Violence in the book... Hmm, is EG more violence than Harry Potter latter books? I don't think so.
Hopefully, the movie could help the popularity of EG.

message 11: by Tiza (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tiza | 22 comments Maybe the reluctance in publishing Ender's Game is not so much due to the physical violence as the moral conflict that goes with it. It's really quite intense on the subject, imo. (view spoiler).

That is to say, I'll cheer if the book get to be published here. But those who assume that this is children's book due to the age of its characters will find themselves sorely wrong, I think.

message 12: by Oni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oni (onisur) | 171 comments Yes Tiza. It will be a major mistake to assume that any books/films with children characters are suitable for children. The same thing goes for cartoons/anime too.

Silvana (silvaubrey) http://io9.com/could-the-enders-game-...

The writer seems to be very controversial. I gotta read this hehe

message 14: by Oni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oni (onisur) | 171 comments Shoot the message, never the messenger.

The same things happened with Robert Heinlein. He was accused as right wing racist, especially for this book: Sixth Column. But I don't to judge all of his books with the same prejudice.

message 15: by Ds (last edited Jul 11, 2013 11:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ds Goh | 67 comments Oni wrote: "Shoot the message, never the messenger. --> This I don't quite understand. You meant 'Ender's Game' is rife with homophobia? (I've never read the book). As far as I know, it's a popular sci-fi about wars with aliens, but the writer is a vocal anti-gay activist, which is why some people are boycotting the movie. Card is not said to be a bigot due to his books, it's because of his opposing stances in real life against marriage equality.

message 16: by Oni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oni (onisur) | 171 comments Ds wrote: "Oni wrote: "Shoot the message, never the messenger. --> This I don't quite understand. You meant 'Ender's Game' is rife with homophobia? (I've never read the book). As far as I know, it's a popular..."

No. Maybe my quote is not quite relevant. Just ignore it.

But in some of his other books, some reviewer says that he is quite a bigot. But not in Ender's Game.

Femmy | 301 comments I don't remember Ender's Game or his other books being anti-gay. They sometimes do deal with religion, and his Alvin Maker is said to be based on the life of Joseph Smith (?), the founder of Mormon religion, which is the religion OSC adheres to.

I haven't read any OSC's opinion about homosexuality, and I wonder how bigoted it is. Does he simply believe that homosexuality is a sin, or does he bash the gay community?

message 18: by Ds (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ds Goh | 67 comments Femmy wrote: "I don't remember Ender's Game or his other books being anti-gay. They sometimes do deal with religion, and his Alvin Maker is said to be based on the life of Joseph Smith (?), the founder of Mormon..."

If I am not mistaken, he said that homosexuality is unnatural and is a sin. He thinks homosexual behaviour should be outlawed. And he is a member of National Organization for Marriage which is a political organization that is very much against the legalization of same-sex marriage in the US.

message 19: by Oni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oni (onisur) | 171 comments Ds wrote: "Femmy wrote: "I don't remember Ender's Game or his other books being anti-gay. They sometimes do deal with religion, and his Alvin Maker is said to be based on the life of Joseph Smith (?), the fou..."

Is he a right wing Christian?

message 20: by Ds (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ds Goh | 67 comments Oni wrote: "Ds wrote: "Femmy wrote: "I don't remember Ender's Game or his other books being anti-gay. They sometimes do deal with religion, and his Alvin Maker is said to be based on the life of Joseph Smith (..."

I think he is a Mormon.

message 21: by Oni (last edited Jul 19, 2013 03:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oni (onisur) | 171 comments A clip of the upcoming Ender's Game movie. Featuring Harrison Ford. Looks promosing, hopefully they will not destroy the story like what Hollywood did with World War Z.
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/07/ende...

Silvana (silvaubrey) Late to the party, I guess. This book is awesome. But I won't keep my expectations high for the movie.

message 23: by Oni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oni (onisur) | 171 comments Yep, you are right. Considering what Hollywood have done nowadays.
Maybe it will much better if they make it into a TV series.

Silvana (silvaubrey) I heard the sequel is also good. Is that right?

Jokoloyo | 27 comments the sequel is good, but it is a very different story.

cindy | 4 comments I really liked Ender's Shadow. It's not the sequel, more like a companion book. Half of it told the same story as Ender's Game but told from Bean POV. Gave me better understanding of Ender, the political situation, etc.

Silvana (silvaubrey) Whoa, I liked Bean! We got to see another POV for the battle games? Sweet. Will definitely try to find the book. Thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Jokoloyo | 27 comments oh, by the sequel, I mean Speaker for the Dead, Hugo winner best novel 1987.

Silvana (silvaubrey) Jokoloyo wrote: "oh, by the sequel, I mean Speaker for the Dead, Hugo winner best novel 1987."

noted, thanks :)

D.F. Jules | 12 comments Read it through the night, the book was awesome. It was smart,thrilling and thoughtful. Many times I just went...wow.

Silvana (silvaubrey) Julia wrote: "Read it through the night, the book was awesome. It was smart,thrilling and thoughtful. Many times I just went...wow."

I can't wait for the movie. Watching the zero gravity scene in Gravity just fuels my hunger for the battlemockscene in Ender's Game.

message 32: by Dini (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dini | 107 comments I finished the book and really enjoyed it. Glad to check this off my list and happy that it was a fast-paced, engaging, and thought-provoking read.

(view spoiler)

I don't know much about OSC's personal or political views, but I glanced through the book's introduction written six years after its release and he strikes me as rather arrogant in putting down the criticism against the book. I wonder if I would get flagged based on Goodreads' new rules if I'd written this in my review, since I'm talking about the author's personality instead of the book. But in the introduction OSC also personally attacked a reader who wrote a letter to a sci-fi magazine in criticism of the book. To me it seems just as immature as some authors who attack Goodreads reviewers for bad reviews of their books.

Femmy | 301 comments @Dini, you should also read Ender's Shadow to get into the skin of Bean, who is the main character in this parallel novel.

message 34: by Sepsun Pasaribu (last edited Nov 07, 2013 12:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sepsun Pasaribu | 18 comments Sorry for late joining the discussion. I finished the book 2 days ago and I found it was great.

However, one of my gripes is Ender and the others were children aged from 6 to 12. It was hard for me to imagine those characters were very-very young. I even googled and looked at a picture of a six year old boy and imagine he was Ender and it was still hard to do.

My second one was the same with Dini above. (view spoiler)

Last is I wish this book tell more about Peter. He's my favorite character in the Book. I didnt really rooting for Ender, or Bean, or Alai or any of the adults. I kinda sick of Valentine but Peter intrigued me. He was cruel but not without emotion. He actually love his siblings. He was not accepted in Battle School and felt disappointed but still able to make important mark in the world. He even stop a war. Too bad, the book describe him as really low (esp. Valentine). He's great and I want to know more. Is there part of Ender's series from Peter point of view?

message 35: by Rachel, First Lady (new)

Rachel (rachelhadeli) | 698 comments Mod
Ah, I'm so cut that I didn't read this when everyone was reading it. I read the first few pages of it in Aksara and I was really into it, but my TBR pile is so high I didn't end up buying it. And now the movie is out. I really want to watch it, but ... it would probably be better if I read it first, huh? Ahh dilemma.

Namida Puti (puti) | 95 comments i really like this book! But imigining how a boy could destroy a throng of aliens army really thrill me. Cant wait to watch the movie..would it be as great as the book..*hmmm...

Femmy | 301 comments Yeah, the movie's out now. I can't wait to watch it, which I plan to do on Monday.

message 38: by Oni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oni (onisur) | 171 comments Looks like there is a movement to boycott the movie abroad. I myself is not really effected. I tend to separate the art from the artist

message 39: by Dini (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dini | 107 comments @Sepsun: Peter is a really intriguing character. I never knew whether to believe him or not when he said he loved his siblings. I once read a long but interesting New York Times article about children diagnosed with psychopathic tendencies, which can be a controversial topic. Some of the behavior described in the article eerily reminds me of Peter.

Here's the article link: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/mag...

Anyway, I heard that more stories about Peter, Bean, and the other kids on earth can be found in the Shadow series.

Will there be 'nonton bareng' Ender's Game like we did with World War Z? But I can't go to the cinema until next week because of a deadline T___T

Silvana (silvaubrey) Are we going to have a movie night again?

Dini and I are planning to watch this together.

Silvana (silvaubrey) LOL I just read Dini's message. Same question hehe

Sepsun Pasaribu | 18 comments @Dini I've skimmed the article. I think Peter was manipulative but for psychopathic tendencies... not sure. For me, the end on chapter 2 when Peter said to sleeping Ender that he love him, showed me that Peter has emotion and really love his siblings.

@Oni The boycott seems unnecessary since the movie didnt really show the author opinion regarding LGBT

message 43: by Wildan (last edited Nov 10, 2013 07:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wildan (wmhadjri) | 49 comments I personally think every Wiggins are manipulative in their own ways. I don't like how Peter is constantly portrayed as evil psychopathic megalomaniac genius throughout Ender series. In Shadow series, I'm thrilled that I can see more of Peter's human sides and glad that he can finally fall in love and get married. This effectively dispels the myth that Peter is somehow less than human compared to his "angelic" Valentine and "heroic" Ender.

As for the homophobic claim, Card never expresses blatant disagreement toward gay marriage in his books. However, we can still see how vehement his arguments for traditional practices of marriage through the thoughts and actions of his characters: The central point of starting civilization outside earth is how to continue producing offsprings, certain characters' nearly fanatic action of making babies even though they know their babies will have genetic defects, all the traditional arguments in favor of natural way of living involving heterosexual interaction, etc. I mean, it's pretty obvious.

But hey, I think it is very ironic that the same LGBT community who asks for boycott cannot respect the difference of opinions that people have. They say that people ought to have respect for other people who might have different way of life compared to them. They themselves cannot stand it when other people disagreeing with them. That's a rather selfish double standard that they're trying to push through.

Silvana (silvaubrey) There might be a minor spoiler up there :p

message 45: by Wildan (last edited Nov 10, 2013 06:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wildan (wmhadjri) | 49 comments Oh God, I'm so sorry I didn't realize! :0

message 46: by Sepsun Pasaribu (last edited Nov 10, 2013 06:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sepsun Pasaribu | 18 comments @Idan I agree with you that the Wiggins Children were manipulative and it is somewhat ironic that the LGBT community are boycotting. However, I think that support for traditional marriage and procreation doesnt really equal as an argument disapproving of homosexuality. The same with pro LGBT doesnt mean against marriage and procreation.

I have only read Ender's Game so I dont know the story with Bean and Petra but reading your comment, it reminded me of an anchor/actress Bree Walker who is disable and has two disable children. There were some controversy in the early 90s regarding her decision to have children. You can read an article regarding that in this link : http://articles.latimes.com/1991-08-1...

I'm just saying that Petra and Bean story (that I dont really know except from reading your comment and wikipedia) maybe more related to Bree Walker's story instead of against LGBT.

Btw, I read on the wikipedia that Orson's novel Songmaster dealt with homosexuality issue.

Wildan (wmhadjri) | 49 comments Umm, first of all I'm so sorry for the spoiler, trust me it wasn't intentional.

Yeah i totally agree with you, I just want to highlight the underlying irony of this LGBT boycotting campaign. Other than that, you are right.

On the subject of disability, it might interest you that one of his son had cerebral palsy and died after his 17th birthday.

Btw, you should totally read Speaker of The Dead right away! :D

message 48: by Wildan (last edited Nov 10, 2013 07:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wildan (wmhadjri) | 49 comments A bit far fetched, but I couldn't help wondering who's smarter, Ender or Artemis Fowl?

Femmy | 301 comments I've read Songmaster, but what I remember most about it is the impression that OSC likes to write about child geniuses and the isolation that it causes. His Seventh Son also tells the story about a boy with an extraordinary power.

Biondy | 103 comments has anyone seen the movie? I watched it yesterday and was kinda disappointed with it.

« previous 1