Happy & Brainy Group discussion

General II > Thoughts and Opinions

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ilyn (new)

Ilyn Ross (ilyn_ross) | 1071 comments Mod
Thoughts and Opinions is a group formed by a teenager, D.C. - the group is dedicated to freedom of speech and the ability to think. Kudos to D.C. and its members.

Please visit: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1...

message 2: by Ilyn (new)

D.C asks: "What is truth?" http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 3: by Freesoul (new)

Freesoul (flashback) | 6 comments hello all.....i am new in this site. but when i saw the topic" thoughts and opinions " i wanted to know what do you think of Agatha Christye the big writer ? i know she is perfect but do you think that she has gone too far in her imagination ?or that's the key for a successful writer "going too far".
i would be more than happy to listen to your point of views . thanks any way :)

message 4: by Ilyn (new)

Hello Freesoul.

Agatha is a good mystery writer. I've enjoyed many of her books when I was much younger.

Happy New Year, everyone.

message 5: by Freesoul (new)

Freesoul (flashback) | 6 comments hi D.C ....it's a simple question with a hard answer ...hard to explain ...but i believe that the truth is something you are not afraid to tell ....and when you hide it , it becomes a secret and it has many forms ...but your question opened my eyes that i don't know what it means ...so i would love to know your point of view...and i can't wait to hear others ideas of the truth .

message 6: by Ilyn (new)

The truth is what conforms to reality. Honesty is the pursuit of truth; it is the refusal to evade or fake reality.

http://ilynross.blogspot.com/2009/10/...

message 7: by Freesoul (new)

Freesoul (flashback) | 6 comments First ...I must say ..i like the way you use words but i need more explanations to really get the meaning of truth ...it's hard for my unexperienced brain to get the big meaningful words....but thanks any way

message 8: by Freesoul (new)

Freesoul (flashback) | 6 comments Can some please explain this to me? "Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
— Albert Einstein

message 9: by Ilyn (new)

Blind belief in authority: instead of using one's brain, one just accepts or copies others.

From Royal Serf:

“Why do I have to think whether the King or the Prime Minister is right or wrong?” a young girl asked. “Why can’t I just follow them?”

The fourteen-year-old boy smiled at the little girl. “Two reasons: knowledge and self-esteem. If you don’t understand why the King or the Prime Minister is right or wrong on an issue, you don’t have knowledge on that issue and everything that depends on it. Not knowing is like living in the dark. Knowing is like living in the sunlight or in a well lit place. If you are in the dark, you will need guidance every step of the way; else, you could stumble or meet an accident. Knowledge makes us understand things more clearly. It makes us grow mentally. It enables us to make good decisions, to avoid mistakes that could make us unhappy. It gives us courage to be independent. If we do not understand something, we would have to blindly follow or copy. That is boring! It is also the attitude of losers. Losers do not have self-esteem. Self-esteem is liking yourself. You have to like yourself in order to be happy.”

message 10: by Ilyn (new)

From Royal Serf:

“What is reason?” the kindergartner asked.

“Reason is the human faculty which forms concepts by a process of logic based on the evidence of the senses. Reason is our means of gaining knowledge of this world and guiding our actions in it. Reason is not just for grownups. Would you like me to tell you a story about the ‘evidence of the senses’ and trusting one’s own rational faculty?”

“Yes,” the children chorused.

“The Emperor’s New Clothes by Hans Christian Andersen, written in 1837..."

“It’s a beautiful story, thank you,” said the first grader. “The child is honest.”

The kindergartner also thanked the babysitter. “The child told the truth.”

“Yes, the child is honest. It told the truth even when everyone was saying the contrary to the evidence of its eyesight.” The babysitter smiled at the children.

“Now I understand reason,” said the first grader. “I use it to know what’s real.”

message 11: by Freesoul (new)

Freesoul (flashback) | 6 comments thanks alot Royal Serf...i could not ask for more.
it has been nice talking to you..:)

message 12: by Freesoul (new)

Freesoul (flashback) | 6 comments thanks Ilyn alot ..i could not ask for more . ithas been great talking to you...and i would love to hear more of your opineon and thoughts...bye

message 13: by Ilyn (new)

You are welcome, Freesoul. Thanks for joining us.