Dystopia Land discussion

Buddy Reads and Book Discussions > Is Stephen King's Dark Tower dystopian?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Ward (chriswardfictionwriter) | 77 comments I read this whole series back to back last year. It definitely had some "dystopianism" about it. What do you think? Dystopian, fantasy or sci-fi, or a bit of both?

message 2: by Courtny (new)

Courtny M | 1 comments Def a bit of all of the above...:) but it is more readable for me , an avid dystopian reader, than most of his others. Sometimes I find his themes a but repetitive and predictable, but the dark tower series is better than most of his I thinkZ

message 3: by Adam (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments Totally dystopian. From all the positronics junk lying around Roland's world to all the cities, once thriving, now "moved on." It isn't politically dystopian or oppressive but socially, environmentally and technologically speaking it is (too much "y" stuff going on there).

Blends a lot of genres together. One of my all time favorite series.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Ward (chriswardfictionwriter) | 77 comments That's kind of how I felt, with all the Positronics stuff. I really liked that series. Books 5 & 6 were a bit lame but I loved the rest. Haven't read the new one yet though.

message 5: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Empress (the_empress) | 1215 comments Mod
I hope to manage to read those series this year. Maybe together with the stand. The movie IT kind of put me off King's works. I saw it at inappropriately young age. [oopsy daisy]

message 6: by Adam (new)

Adam (edgeofinfinity) | 32 comments Many people are forever scarred from that movie. Clowns? I'll never look at them the same way again. Those ice cream trucks with the pedo clown guy inside? *shudders*

But knowing you, you'd dig Dark Tower. May be weird to get into at first but I promise it pays off. :)

message 7: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

aha haha I was thinking if those ice cream trucks. The melodies are sooooo creepy. I expect a clown til jump out and start eating kids.

I've read one book of his but I'm nit sure of the title. It was about a father that almost hit an old gipsy woman with his car. she cursed him and he started loosing weight, the only way to get rid of the curse was to make a pie and I'm not sure about this but maybe someone else was suppose to eat the pie and get the curse. But it was hi daughter and wife who did.

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris Ward (chriswardfictionwriter) | 77 comments Thinner! That was one of his early books. Yeah, that was pretty nasty but a good read. He's kind of soft these days.

I really liked the movie for IT, but god, the book was boring. The ending just dragged out and out and out. Probably the best King I've ever read was Christine. Brilliant book. However, strangely enough, the only one that ever gave me nightmares was Gerald's Game. The bit at the end where she thinks she was seeing some hallucinated demon but it was actually a deformed pervert in the room with her just freaked me out. Worth reading just for the courtroom scene at the end.

Yeah, Dark Tower was awesome. If you could skip Song of Susannah but still understand it that would be good. That book was crap.

message 9: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

I really liked Thinner.

I saw this few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H369s...

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Ward (chriswardfictionwriter) | 77 comments Haha, that trailer basically shows the entire plot. Still, looks quite good, although the lead is a bit too cute considering she's supposed to be this nerdy loser. That's Hollywood to a T these days.

The Angry Lawn Gnome (mostlyharmlessreviews) Chris wrote: "I read this whole series back to back last year. It definitely had some "dystopianism" about it. What do you think? Dystopian, fantasy or sci-fi, or a bit of both?"

I thought -- and still think -- Mort is the scariest serial killer I've ever encountered in any novel in any genre. The section in the series devoted to his antics was truly "pedal to the metal," to use a cliche I seem to remember encountering in several of King's novels.

As to the question, I'd say it was more post-apocalyptic than dystopian, personally, presuming such a distinction can somehow be drawn.