The Kite Runner The Kite Runner discussion

Review

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Baranow I read The Kite Runner, a renown novel by Khaled Hosseini. I was first introduced to this book by my friend, Caroline, who fell completely in love with it. When I first started reading, I was immediately drawn to the riveting plot line and mesmerizing characters that gave this novel a unique aura. Set in early Afghanistan, two boys with different ethnicities grow up together in a city called Kabul. Hosseini’s unique style of writing allows the reader to experience what life was like in the Middle East during the mid-1900’s. Fatality and heroism are among the several themes in this captivating novel.

At the beginning, Amir and Hassan, the two small boys, are inseparable. They are close friends, confidants, and playmates. However, since Amir is a Pashtun and Hassan is a Hazara, Amir always seems to radiate an unspoken power over his partner. Amir and his Baba, or father, live in a large house, while Hassan and his father Ali reside as servants in a small hut located in the backyard. However, their differing social hierarchies do not stop the two families from loving and caring for each other, an aspect of the novel that I truly enjoyed from the start. Reading more into the book, I soon found out that Baba and Ali have always been close friends for all their lives. (view spoiler) What was truly inspirational at this point in the novel, was that Baba treated his servants as family and normal human beings, something that was very rare in Afghanistan during this time.

As the book progresses, the dynamic between Amir and Hassan changes. Amir, who at the start was the character I truly admired, soon becomes an antagonist in my eyes. For instance, this small boy takes advantage of Hassan’s illiteracy and teaches him false definitions of words. This series of defiant behavior advances throughout the text, and I soon felt pity for Hassan. As winter falls over the city of Kabul, one notorious kite tournament changes the whole book. Every year as the snow falls, residents of Kabul fill the streets with their blue and red kites. Amir, a well established kite runner, hopes to win the tournament with the help of Hassan. (view spoiler) However, when the kite starts to fly away, Amir asks if Hassan will retrieve the kite, to which the young servant replies, “For you a thousand times over!” (67). (view spoiler)

What happened on that winter day had such an intense impact on me. Not only did I feel anger towards Amir, but I truly felt sorry for Hassan and what he went through. This feeling of animosity towards Amir lingers throughout the whole book. As the story goes on, Afghanistan starts falling apart. The two boys go off and live their lives on different paths, one goes to America, while the other stays in the Middle East. Fatality and revenge thicken the plot line, while Hosseini keeps the reader on the edge of their seat. As I was reading this novel, I was on an incredible ride. The narrator, Amir, goes through a harrowing journey from adolescence to adulthood. He must learn to forgive himself of his mistakes and let go of the past. This novel is definitely one of the best books I have ever read. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in Afghanistan, or even someone who wants to read about a riveting tale about two young boys. I give The Kite Runner five stars without-a-doubt.

Monty J Heying Caitlin wrote: "I read The Kite Runner, a renown novel by Khaled Hosseini. I was first introduced to this book by my friend, Caroline, who fell completely in love with it. When I first started reading, I was immed..."

Are you ware that this is a discussion forum? There's a place specifically set aside for reviews. Just click on the book cover and you'll see it.