Terminalcoffee discussion

General Fuckery > "Teen Tries to Quiet Voices in his Head," they say.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 163 comments That is so sad. I applaud Jamie Foxx for doing a movie to help raise awareness of schizophrenia. It's such a huge problem. I worry about my daughter because she's increasingly paranoid. She is utterly convinced someone is going to shoot her, especially at night. Mental disorders have such a stigma which is so unfair.

Thanks for posting this, Sally.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Kelly, how old is your daughter?

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 163 comments 15 and a half. She has a lot of mental health diagnoses already. It's the right age for this to start appearing. Ugh. She is supposed to start seeing a psychiatrist (in addition to a therapist) soon. I'm just waiting for them to call me back.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Being a teen is so hard. Just remember (remind her), life does get easier. Maybe medication & therapy will help and then as she gets older, more secure in her identity, etc., she will be more able to cope. Keep us posted --

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 163 comments Thanks, Jessica. I will.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
It is a weird transition time for them, because for most of their conscious life thus far their brains remain relatively unchanged (don't really know that) while their bodies undergo serious and continual growth. Then the hormones kick in, and the brain development takes over priority.

I had a shockingly early development, but then I was fine and adjusted when my mind kicked in around 12 or 13. I felt okay. Some girls I know had it much harder than me at that age.