Bookworm Buddies discussion

Buddy Reads > City of Bones

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Veronica (last edited Jun 02, 2013 07:17PM) (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Hello,
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

This movie is coming out in August. I heard nothing but good reviews. This book has been sitting on my shelf for about a year. With that said, I plan on reading this in the beginning of July. I would read sooner, but I am committed to other challenges and buddy reads for the month of June. Anyone interested in joining me?

message 2: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 13984 comments Mod
I need to read this myself I would love to join!

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Great. Is July enough time?

message 4: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

yea July is fine by me. I have a few buddy reads in July but I have been pretty good with the multi tasked reading thing. LOL I have been wanting to get to this, Hub said it was a great series. So yea I am all for it.

message 5: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments I'd love to read this but not sure if I'm going to have the time - will see how I go! :)

message 6: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jun 03, 2013 05:13PM) (new)

LOL Michelle I already know my July is jammed packed. LOL Oh well I love to read and I don't think you can ever read too much. hehe. Hope you join us!

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments I am definitely reading this book in July. I am pushing this book up to the top of the list to read

message 8: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I will be reading with ya Veronica! Looking forward to it.

message 9: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Thanks Janie - it feels like ages since I had a day where I could just get stuck into a book :/ Really want to read this one so fingers crossed I can join you all :)

message 10: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments I hope you can. I known the feeling.

message 11: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Hope you will be able too michelle, it will be fun!

message 12: by Shell (new)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Thanks you guys :)

message 13: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments I really enjoyed these books, but the movie looks freakin awesome.

message 14: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Veronica are we still on for this one now?

message 15: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Yes! When do you want to start?

message 16: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I am available now if that works, otherwise let me know when you are ready.

message 17: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments We can start it now. It's good for me.

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments how long will it take you to read the book you are reading now?

message 19: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I am done with major reads right now, I am just still reading Four Past Midnight - collection, so now is s good a time as any! Yay!

message 20: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Ok. Lets start. I just finished chapter 1

message 21: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Did you start reading it yet?

message 22: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

LOL I will start soon. I just got done watching a movie with my family and will be climbing into bed soon.

message 23: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Lol! No pressure. No rush. Was just curious. I will read a little when I get on the subway heading to work

message 24: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Yea I only got a few pages read. Will read more today sometime, but am going out with my family LOL. Could be an all day excursion though.

message 25: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments It's cool. It's the holiday. So, we will post as soon as we can

message 26: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Got to page 20 and wow I am already drawn in! So glad we are reading this! I have been wanting to get through this series as my hub told me it was good.

message 27: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Yup! I heard nothing but good things about this book. It starts off with action.

message 28: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Geez I did not get a chance to read at all yesterday. Since my family is visiting it has been hard. LOL But I am pretty sure that once I get time I can read this in one sitting. I have read a few pages this morning though while sipping some coffee. It is really good.

message 29: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments I read a little bit. But not much. Also have family coming up. Well, my husband's family. His grandfather passed away over the weekend. So we've been running around.

message 30: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Awww sorry for you loss Veronica. Hugs.

message 31: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Thank You! I will pick up on this book btwn today and tomorrow

message 32: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (last edited Jul 08, 2013 06:31AM) (new)

How are you liking this Veronica? I like it a lot. I am enjoying Clary's character. I just reached Part 2 Easy is the Descent. A nice little twist to end Part 1 with.(view spoiler)

message 33: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments I'm on chapter 9, the last chapter in part 1. I like it also. A little kiddie. But I can overlook it

message 34: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Yea it is kind of young, but like you said I can overlook it too.

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments I love how (view spoiler).

I hid the spoilers in case someone else want to join in.

message 36: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Janie, I need your help. Oh, by the way every time I see your name I think of my paternal grandma.She had the same name...Grandma Janie. I loved her.

Anyway, now you know I am from NYC. And I am terribly confused it the setting. In fact its making me a little coo coo. LOL.

Clary, Simon, and Jace went through the portal from her neighbor's house in East Williamsburg. The portal landed them in Luke's house which was located in East Williamsburg also. Then they went back to Jace's residents ( which has the glamour of a church) via the L train. Was it mentioned where this place was located? I am thinking it has to be in Manhattan because of the course they took to get to the City of Bones. I was very confused

message 37: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

You will have to refresh my memory Veronica. I know what you are talking about but I don't remember where they were at all. Where was this located in the book? That will help.

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments The story is set in New York - Brooklyn & Manhattan. I guess I'm very sensitive to the setting because I know all the areas that are mentioned.

message 39: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

LOL I meant what chapter or page....hehe

message 40: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Ohhh! Lol. Chapter 11

message 41: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Alright, I figured they were in Manhattan. I was saying to myself they went in a complete circle if they were in Brooklyn going to the City of Bones. I'm liking this book more and more. Somethings I have to ask my 19 yr old about because she love anything to do with angels, demons, fairies, etc. In fact she's been writing a lot and drawing a lot of animation for it. This is the child that read the whole Divine Comedy and loved it. I say she is a spiritual intellectual. Lol

message 42: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Yea I am really liking it myself Veronica! It has a nice mix in it. And the characters are well developed IMO. I look forward to the rest of the series too.

message 43: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Me too. At first I was a little apprehensive. But I am happy I decided to give it a chance.

What chapter are you up to?

message 44: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I am presently just starting Chapter 12. I have been reading several books today, trying to keep the reading time even lol.

message 45: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Ok. Good. We are not far from each other. I'm halfway through chapter 11. My daughter wrote a short story on archangels. So I was reading that. It wasn't bad at all

message 46: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

I think it is great that your daughter writes Veronica. SO good for the mind and the imagination!

message 47: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Yup! Thank!

Ok I just found out why Clary's mind was blocked. But I'm dying to know what it is they are blocking.

Someone compared this book to Harry Potter and I was no way. But as I read more I can see why this was said. Valentine and The Circle. Voldemort and his circle. Hmmm

message 48: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Yea I am looking forward to what pours forth from Clary's mind. Hopefully a ton of helpful memories. Yea I guess we can compare Valentine to Voldemort, but for me that is as far as the likeliness to Harry Potter goes.

message 49: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Exactly. Lol

message 50: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Jace, Alec, and Isabelle are freaking hilarious. (view spoiler)

« previous 1