A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Season 3 Episode 9...OH EM GEE!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 144 (144 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Richardson (klrichardson) | 26 comments There were rumors that HBO was going to split book 3 into two seasons. I really didn't think so because I've been tracking.

But Oh man! I read the books, but this was the scene I was dreading. Sadly, HBO really did "The Red Wedding" justice...Only thing is, in the book, Rob's wife didn't go with him to the Frays. To be honest, I really thought that Rob's wife was sent there by Tywin Lannaster to distract Rob from the war. And in the show, for some reason, she always just looked guilty or scared to me. I really wasn't expecting her to go to the wedding...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments That scene was as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was not looking forward to watching it. Frey killed Robb's wife first. They killed Grey Wind :(

message 3: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Richardson (klrichardson) | 26 comments Yeah. For some reason I wasn't expecting them to kill his wife because she wasn't there in the book. That scene really...hurt my soul! Well, at least we know what that will bring next week. They will make up for it.

message 4: by Dionna (new)

Dionna | 308 comments K. wrote: "There were rumors that HBO was going to split book 3 into two seasons. I really didn't think so because I've been tracking.

But Oh man! I read the books, but this was the scene I was dreading. Sa..."

That is not a rumor, it is a fact.

message 5: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Richardson (klrichardson) | 26 comments I know GRRM said back in April 2012 that season three would cover roughly book three and people took that to mean it would be split, but I'm watching and checking the book and the book's almost done in relation to the series. Only one more major event...

message 6: by Dionna (new)

Dionna | 308 comments K. wrote: "I know GRRM said back in April 2012 that season three would cover roughly book three and people took that to mean it would be split, but I'm watching and checking the book and the book's almost don..."

Several events take place before the end of this book.

message 7: by Nermin (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 280 comments Yeah, Dionna is right, and The Red Wedding happens somewhere in the middle of the third book.

message 8: by Patrick (new)

Patrick There's too much stuff left. They better put some of it off til next season. one episode is not enough for what's left from the third book.

message 9: by Deeptanshu (new)

Deeptanshu | 27 comments Yeah i agree with you.
Still it was not as traumatic for as I have read all of the books and so was prepared for the Freys horrific treachery.

message 10: by Kaeri (last edited Jun 03, 2013 01:02AM) (new)

Kaeri | 20 comments I was surprised by this, I actually thought they would end the season with the red wedding... since you know, that would probably upset the non-reader fans the most. haha

message 11: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 181 comments Episode 9 is always the best of every GOT season. They always have the BIG event in that and deal with the aftermath in the final episode. Season 1 had Baelor, with Ned being beheaded, 2 was Blackwater and now this.

For the season finale, we may see Jaime finally reaching KL (was this the first time there were zero KL scenes in an episode?), Arya and The Hound on their journey, Jon Snow reaching Castle Black and some normal Dany scene.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 03, 2013 04:18AM) (new)

I knew this was coming... but still =( I was pretty horrified/startled when Talisa is just being stabbed in the stomach and I was just "No, no, NO" the entire time watching it.

While I thought it was done great... this scene could have been SO much better. It happened and then was OVER just like that. Just like the House of Undying, I feel like they didn't spend enough time on this scene, not enough detail.

I'm almost... relieved? Yeah, relieved, that they didn't show Robb being beheaded and sewing Grey Wind's head on his body... but at the same time I feel like that would have made the scene even stronger and more horrific. Reading that part made me sick to my stomach. Oh, Robb... Well, maybe they'll show that in the last episode *shrugs*

message 13: by Kaeri (new)

Kaeri | 20 comments Noah wrote: "I knew this was coming... but still =( I was pretty horrified/startled when Jeyne is just being stabbed in the stomach and I was just "No, no, NO" the entire time watching it.

While I thought it w..."

Same here. It was traumatic to read that part in the books... I can only imagine the horror to see that on screen, which would've been so awesome. haha, I guess the producers are "softer" than GRRM's unforgiving pen :))

message 14: by Ross (new)

Ross | 3 comments What a terrific episode. I was also hoping for the beheading of Robb, just to make it even more grim, but I think that might have been too much for some viewers. All in all I thought they handled it well. Damn Freys.

message 15: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 181 comments Michelle Fairley totally owned this episode. What a superb performance.

Walder Frey as well. GOT has too many awesome villains to count.

message 16: by Nermin (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 280 comments I'm so glad they didn't show Greywind's head sewn to Robb's head. I could even manage to come to terms with robb's death but i never truly forgave GRRM for that final mockery :(

message 17: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 181 comments I'm glad they didn't too. Maybe they can mention it later without actually showing it. It would be too much for many viewers to accept.

message 18: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Richardson (klrichardson) | 26 comments Yeah, the stabbing of Rob's wife...Talisa? In the belly over and over--I was yelling at the tv "Noo! Stop!" And my mother came in and asked "What the hell is wrong with you?" Then she looked at the tv and said "Oh God!" And left back out! Hahaha.

But the more I think of it, the more I remember that the Westerlings did conspire with the Lannasters because Jeyne and her sister were to marry lords after the Red Wedding.

message 19: by Gianluca (new)

Gianluca (gianlucag) | 118 comments The Raven wrote: "Michelle Fairley totally owned this episode. What a superb performance."

I was thinking the same thing while watching the episode. I think she captured Catelyn's feelings perfectly. The very last scene was amazing.

Nermin wrote: "I'm so glad they didn't show Greywind's head sewn to Robb's head. I could even manage to come to terms with robb's death but i never truly forgave GRRM for that final mockery :("

I bet they saved that scene for the next episode. Even in the book it wasn't mentioned until a few chapters later.

message 20: by Nermin (new)

Nermin  (narminstaley) | 280 comments K. wrote: "But the more I think of it, the more I remember that the Westerlings did conspire with the Lannasters because Jeyne and her sister were to marry lords after the Red Wedding. "

the Westerlings did indeed conspire with the Lannisters. but to tell the truth Jeyne was innocent. She really loved Robb but her mother is a total bitch.

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason Bowden | 3 comments Erika Etherviere wrote: "I was surprised by this, I actually thought they would end the season with the red wedding... since you know, that would probably upset the non-reader fans the most. haha"

agreed, but they killed Ned in the second to last episode too.

message 22: by Jason (new)

Jason Bowden | 3 comments K. wrote: "There were rumors that HBO was going to split book 3 into two seasons. I really didn't think so because I've been tracking.

But Oh man! I read the books, but this was the scene I was dreading. Sa..."

that is where I am confused, she was at river run during the wedding, was she killed there? or in some other book? (I've only just start Feast for Crows

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma Joy | 36 comments I was crying over the Red Wedding especially for Talisa being stabbed! There's a child in it for goodness sake! (Though I know how the story goes.) :)

message 24: by Gianluca (new)

Gianluca (gianlucag) | 118 comments By the way, I totally missed this during my first read:

Farther on she came upon a feast of corpses. Savagely slaughtered, the feasters lay strewn across overturned chairs and hacked trestle tables, asprawl in pools of congealing blood. Some had lost limbs, even heads. Severed hands clutched bloody cups, wooden spoons, roast fowl, heels of bread. In a throne above them sat a dead man with the head of a wolf. He wore an iron crown and held a leg of lamb in one hand as a king might hold a scepter, and his eyes followed Dany with mute appeal.

From A Clash of Kings, Chapter 48, when Daenerys visits the House of the Undying.

message 25: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Richardson (klrichardson) | 26 comments Jason wrote: "K. wrote: "There were rumors that HBO was going to split book 3 into two seasons. I really didn't think so because I've been tracking.

But Oh man! I read the books, but this was the scene I was d..."

In the book, it's a different girl, Jeyne Westerling. Jeyne stayed at River Run because her family was in on it. Jeyne was innocent, as Nermin said above. But her mother. Her mother was the co-conspirator.

In the show, however, the girl is Talisa from Volantis.

message 26: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Richardson (klrichardson) | 26 comments Johnny wrote: "By the way, I totally missed this during my first read:

Farther on she came upon a feast of corpses. Savagely slaughtered, the feasters lay strewn across overturned chairs and hacked trestle table..."

Oh my! I totally forgot about that!

message 27: by Kati (new)

Kati  | 27 comments I think the changed the wife's character so that they could kill her at the red wedding. There are no loose strings with her being from Valantis and not being from a Westeros family.

message 28: by Megan (new)

Megan | 15 comments Johnny wrote: "The Raven wrote: "Michelle Fairley totally owned this episode. What a superb performance."

I was thinking the same thing while watching the episode. I think she captured Catelyn's feelings perfectly. The very last scene was amazing."

Just have to echo this. I thought the way they portrayed the horror of the Red Wedding was brilliant. Cat and Robb just broke my heart.

K. wrote: "Yeah, the stabbing of Rob's wife...Talisa? In the belly over and over--I was yelling at the tv "Noo! Stop!" And my mother came in and asked "What the hell is wrong with you?" Then she looked at the tv and said "Oh God!" And left back out! Hahaha."

I knew RW would be bad, I thought I was prepared, but I did the exact same thing!

message 29: by Gianluca (new)

Gianluca (gianlucag) | 118 comments K. wrote: "Oh my! I totally forgot about that! "

There is so much foreshadowing in this series. It makes re-reading the books extra enjoyable.

Megan wrote: "Just have to echo this. I thought the way they portrayed the horror of the Red Wedding was brilliant. Cat and Robb just broke my heart."

The acting in this episode was especially good. The actors did an amazing job.

message 30: by Kaeri (new)

Kaeri | 20 comments Yeah, you should always take note of the prophecies and visions revealed across the five books. It's great for theorizing! If you visit the boards at asoiaf.westeros.org, there are in depth discussions and dissecting of prophecies and theories.

This is why I was dissapointed by how they showed the scene with the House of the Undying, I thought they omitted a great deal... I guess they wanted to avoid the viewers from theorizing too much.

message 31: by Gianluca (new)

Gianluca (gianlucag) | 118 comments Erika Etherviere wrote: "Yeah, you should always take note of the prophecies and visions revealed across the five books. It's great for theorizing! If you visit the boards at asoiaf.westeros.org, there are in depth discuss..."

I love theorizing so I'll check it out, thanks!
Yeah, the House of the Undying was pretty disappointing in the show. Daenerys' storyline in Season 2 was kind of a mess, really.

message 32: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 181 comments Johnny wrote: "By the way, I totally missed this during my first read:

Farther on she came upon a feast of corpses. Savagely slaughtered, the feasters lay strewn across overturned chairs and hacked trestle table..."

Holy shit I missed that too. Amazing job. It was good they left it out I guess, else many fans may have theorized and predicted what will happen.

Still feel they should have shown Rhaegar at The House of the Undying though.

message 33: by *Secret*Fatty* (new)

*Secret*Fatty* (youknownothingjonsnow) | 76 comments The Raven wrote: "Michelle Fairley totally owned this episode. What a superb performance.

Walder Frey as well. GOT has too many awesome villains to count."

WOW what a complete opposite reaction to Michelle Fairleys performance last night. I thought she was horrible, I could feel the fact that she was acting and not truely watching the horrific events in front of her or feeling the death of her oldest son as he dies right in front of her. Her scream was weak, and her facial expression was majorly lacking. I don't know, I guess I just expected a little more from her seeing as this is pretty much her last scene on the show (from what I hear she wont be coming back to play LadyStonheart?).

Oh and I feel like a messed up person at the moment considering when Talisa was stabbed in the belly, I found myself LEAPING up screaming "FUCK YES!" I didn't realize I had so much hate for her made up character 0_o

message 34: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 181 comments Look at the scene where she takes Walder's wife hostage and makes a desperate attempt to save her son's life saying they will not take vengeance. That is top class acting from Michelle. By the time Bolton stabbed Robb, all feeling had left her already and she let out a cry more than a scream, I felt :D I dunno, I really loved her performance.

As for Talisa, I didn't care much for her but maybe a neck slitting would be kinder than stabbing the fetus repeatedly?

message 35: by Paige (new)

Paige Hollinger  (babygirls1980) | 7 comments That was just sick! That girl was stabbed in her belly! I was not prepared for that. I can't wait for the next show!

message 36: by Gianluca (new)

Gianluca (gianlucag) | 118 comments The Raven wrote: "Holy shit I missed that too. Amazing job. It was good they left it out I guess, else many fans may have theorized and predicted what will happen.

Still feel they should have shown Rhaegar at The House of the Undying though."

Agreed, the Rhaegar part sounds really important:

Viserys, was her first thought the next time she paused, but a second glance told her otherwise. The man had her brother's hair, but he was taller, and his eyes were a dark indigo rather than lilac. "Aegon," he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. "What better name for a king?"
"Will you make a song for him?" the woman asked.
"He has a song," the man replied. "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany's, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. "There must be one more," he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in the bed she could not say. "The dragon has three heads." He went to the window seat, picked up a harp, and ran his fingers lightly over its silvery strings. Sweet sadness filled the room as man and wife and babe faded like the morning mist, only the music lingering behind to speed her on her way.

message 37: by Arby (new)

Arby (xblackheart7x) | 68 comments The Raven wrote: "Look at the scene where she takes Walder's wife hostage and makes a desperate attempt to save her son's life saying they will not take vengeance. That is top class acting from Michelle. By the time..."

Exactly! I think we just got a taste of Lady Stoneheart. Heh. It's a shame though that Fairley isn't playing her. (And I hope Stoneheart's not cut from the show!)

message 38: by *Secret*Fatty* (new)

*Secret*Fatty* (youknownothingjonsnow) | 76 comments The Raven wrote: "Look at the scene where she takes Walder's wife hostage and makes a desperate attempt to save her son's life saying they will not take vengeance. That is top class acting from Michelle. By the time..."

I will be re-watching this today just for Michelle. Perhaps I am being a little too harsh (i've never cared for the actress playing Catelyn) and just need to re-watch it now that I know how the directors have played out the scene on film.

As for Talisa, I really think I reacted the way I did due to the whole pregnancy thing. It really pissed me off when she came out saying she was pregnant on the show when in the books it's made obvious that Robbs wife is not pregnant. So it was kind of like, yah that's right your not pregnant bitch, now stop feeding us lies!!!

I feel nuts right now.

message 39: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 181 comments @Arby

Michelle isn't playing Stoneheart? Is it confirmed? How do they manage to show them as the same person then? Or is it due to some contract issues?

@Secret Fatty

Lol, I kinda wanted Talisa to die as well, didn't expect it to be that brutal.

message 40: by James (new)

James Galvin | 98 comments @ raven
I wouldn't be surprised if the rewrote the role on HBO for Lady Stoneheart to be Talissa instead. Perhaps that's why she was bought to the wedding and killed.

message 41: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments @ James
OOOOOOO that would piss me off so much. I can't stand Talisa. Grrrrr......

Raven said: "For the season finale, we may see Jaime finally reaching KL (was this the first time there were zero KL scenes in an episode?), Arya and The Hound on their journey, Jon Snow reaching Castle Black and some normal Dany scene."

I'm feeling like there weren't any KL scenes because there's only a couple of things left for them to do there within the third book. There's the PW, and then Tyrion's stuff. They have played the "wedding is coming" thing for sooo long in KL, that now, it's time for the wedding to happen already. But no, they'll probably milk it for one more episode this season, and at least one more in the next season. But seriously, KL is a done plot line for the show until the PW.

message 42: by Ross (new)

Ross | 3 comments @James... Interesting speculation there, I hadn't even thought about the possibility of Talissa becoming the Stoneheart character. I'm a little confused about how D&D are going to handle the show as a whole. I recently read somewhere that they were going to make 6 seasons and then call it quits. Maybe they will go off script and write their own ending? Maybe a lot of plotlines will get chopped? I'm struggling to see how the show is going to compare in the long run with the books.

message 43: by Kaila (new)

Kaila (monkeytamer) My uncle does the coloring for the show and he is infuriatingly tight lipped about any spoilers which drives me completely batty but as far as Grey Wind's head on Robb, he said we have yet to see episode 10.

message 44: by Kati (new)

Kati  | 27 comments Lady Stoneheart doesn't appear til book 4 correct? So maybe Michelle will return in season 5 or the end of season 4, contingent on her being available then.

message 45: by Dionna (new)

Dionna | 308 comments Arby wrote: "The Raven wrote: "Look at the scene where she takes Walder's wife hostage and makes a desperate attempt to save her son's life saying they will not take vengeance. That is top class acting from Mic..."

Where did you read that?

message 46: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (lacr1mation) LSH- verrrry end if SoS.

message 47: by Dionna (new)

Dionna | 308 comments Too bad Robb didn't feel this way.

http://redditpics.fpapps.com/?thingid...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Emma wrote: "I was crying over the Red Wedding especially for Talisa being stabbed! There's a child in it for goodness sake! (Though I know how the story goes.) :)"

I think Walder Frey knew what he was doing by killing Talisa first and where to stab. It was really emotional. I never liked the Freys and still don't.

message 49: by Dionna (new)

Dionna | 308 comments He didn't care about killing Talisa, he wanted to kill Robb's heir. If Talisa was the only issue they would have slit her throat.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Thus why he stabbed Talisa in the stomach.

« previous 1 3