If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat question

What is the central concept that you derived from your reading?
Ralph Spiller Ralph (last edited Jun 02, 2013 07:21PM ) Jun 02, 2013 06:56PM
My answer to my own question is the idea that there is much for the life of the follower of Jesus than is realized in the life of many of the Christians that I have come to know. In my own life, I recognize many signs of weakness in faith, and where I would like to be in my maturation process as a 'child of God' seeking to become all that He has in His plan for me. In Ortberg's book he has brought conviction of my timidity to 'step up'/'step out' when I know that there is something that He is wanting me to do - trust Him to work His plan in me and through me. This conviction has inspired me to simply do as Prov. 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your HEART. Never rely on what you think you know. Remember the Lord in everything you do, and he will show you the right way." Matthew 14:27, Jesus called to the disciples with the command, "Courage! It is I. Don't be afraid!" Peter is the only one to respond saying, "Lord, if it is really You, order me to come out on the water to You." If we are to trust Him, we are to obey Him, knowing that He would never do anything to harm us or cause harm to us - if He says, 'do it,' He will provide the way for us to accomplish what He calls us to do. Peter, in faith, trustingly stepped out of the boat and, with his eyes on Jesus, was made able to walk on the water as Jesus was walking on water. What will happen if I should exercise such faith?!

We started this in a sunday school class and I didn't finish it all but a few months ago picked it up and was surprised what it had to offer.

One must have an active faith in order to experience the fullness of Christ. You can sit in the boat and witness the experiences of others, or you can get out of the boat and experience God firsthand.